Blood Warrior: The Alexa Montgomery Saga,…

Blood Warrior: The Alexa Montgomery Saga, Book 1 (edition 2011)

by H.D. Gordon

Member:Tt
Title:Blood Warrior: The Alexa Montgomery Saga, Book 1
Authors:H.D. Gordon
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 262 pages
Rating:*****

Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1) by H. D. Gordon

Please check out my review on my blog @ YA Story Teller ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga) by H.D. Gordon
A new author H.D. Gordon debut novel is worth picking up and reading. If you love PNR/UF then you will not be disappointed with this book. H.D. Gordon’s writing was very thought out and her words flowed and kept me reading till late in the evening.

When I first opened the book it seemed it was about a lonely young woman who was living in a very abusive home. It talked about her mother hitting her and I had to remember what genre I was reading so of course I knew there was a reason.

We are introduced to her sister Nelly, her mother and her one and only friend Jackson. In a fight for their life’s Alexa finds out more about herself and why all the practicing she has done with her mother is going to come in very handy.

This story is full of suspense, mystery and of course has a few young men who are falling for Alexa; I would almost say it’s more than a love triangle as there are a few men introduced to the story. This book is a page turner and left me wanting more. I cannot wait for this saga to continue. As any new series we know we will have to wait for book two. I am hoping H.D. Gordon is writing as I type.

I would recommend this book to all my friends who love reading PNR.
I don’t give book 5 stars a lot, to be a book that rates 5 is a novel that one I can’t put down or stop thinking about. The writing was excellent and like I said I never put the book down. This novel deserved the 5 star rating.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
Usually, I start reviews off with a brief summary, but go ahead and read the one given so I can get straight to the good stuff.
This is a great book. It is an incredible debut, and a fabulous, fabulous read. The main character is edgy and tough, but also intelligent and caring. The paranormal elements are great; the spin on the world of vampires, warriors, and werewolves is unique and capturing. This is not a book you will soon forget. There is a great balance of action, romance, wit, and mystery to satisfy both genders. I would foremost classify it as a YA paranormal book, but readers of fantasy and those just looking for a good read would most likely enjoy it as well. The romance is not too sudden, nor too slow but progresses at a very normal rate. I wish the bigger mysteries had come into play a bit earlier, but when they did, I couldn't put this down. I can't wait to read the sequel. Great job to the author, and a wonderful debut. ( )
  SamanthaKR | Jun 16, 2013 |
I was lucky enough to win a print copy of this book with a lovely, personal, inscription from Ms. Gordon, as well as a nice card-stock bookmark with images of all four covers in the series, all courtesy of the Blogiversary Giveaway Day #5. My rating is closer to a 3.5, but as I can't do half marks, I will round up :-) It is worth it.

Alexa and her younger sister Nelly don't lead what anyone would call a typical life. Their mother is a bit 'off' to them, but they always do as she asks. Not only because they love her, but Alexa wonders if her mom isn't borderline nuts. So when their mother refuses to let them ride the bus to or from school, but instead makes them run both ways every day, carrying all of their books, they simply say 'OK' and do it. And for as long as Alexa can remember her mother has been beating her as part of her 'training.' Something her mother will explain to her someday.

Being so odd doesn't stop Nelly from making friends, but Alexa only has one friend. Jackson made friends with Alexa from the beginning and as always been there for her. And one day Alexa will find out that Jackson has known more about her life and world than she ever did.

When Alexa, Nelly, and their mother are attacked by strange creatures their mother demands that Alexa keep Nelly safe by taking her and running to a special place in the forest behind their house. Alexa operates on sheer reflex, killing some of the creatures before they are overwhelmed and forced to flee, leaving their mother behind to fight the creatures by herself. Somehow, with the help of Nelly and Jackson, Alexa manages to get all three of them to the safe hiding place her mother had just recently shown her.

The next day the trio decide it is time to eave their cave and seek help, or at least better shelter. In doing so they stumble into another world. A world where Alexa is revered as the last of a race thought to be extinct, and where Nelly's secret could be the death of her if it is ever found out. And Jackson, well he no longer has to keep his secret from anyone, including the sisters, since he literally fits right in to this new world they've stumbled into.

The world crafting really picks up once the trio step into a new reality. Though Ms. Gordon also does an excellent job of describing the mundane, everyday world of the reader as well. And her characters are so much more than lines on paper - they are multidimensional, something you certainly don't find in every book that you pick up. Her story has a solid arc that doesn't seem to have any noticeable plateaus, which makes for a pleasant ride filled with everything from the mundane to the absolutely magical. As the characters grow, so to does the story. With each added layer everything becomes more tightly interconnected, which makes the discoveries at the end of the book that much more shocking and unbelievably startling. Now all I have to do is make it to my next paycheck to get books two, three, and four when it comes out (Half Black Soul, The Rise, & Redemption respectively)! Luckily the wait was all of one day, so now I own the other three books in the series. So many books, so little time - why is it that my employer just doesn't understand this?? LOL. ( )
  Isisunit | May 15, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible