Two Weeks Notice by Rachel Caine

Two Weeks Notice (2012)

by Rachel Caine

Listened/Read for Fun (Audible/Paperback)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: OH MY Two Week's Notice was such a good listen! I am so glad I had Terminated ready to go when I finished.

Overall Thoughts: I have pretty much devoured this series back to back. Two Weeks Notice did exactly what the middle book in a trilogy should do: advance the story. We got more action, romance, back story, and emotion. Middle books should always be the "meat" of the trilogy and this one delivered. Bryn (the leading lady) is probably one of my favorite characters in Urban Fantasy. She is kick ass but mostly she is just dealing with the hand that she has been dealt. I tend to admire the leading ladies that are "human" about their circumstances. The rest of the cast of characters are great too. My favorite thing about Rachel Caine is she writes characters that I care about and want to root for! The Revivalist series though is probably my favorite!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Julia Whelan /Length: 9 hrs and 52 mins

Julia does a fantastic job with Bryn and the rest of the characters in this series. Her pacing and rhythm are very well done. She also has one of those voices that you can listen to on higher speeds and it doesn't distort at all. Overall very well done.

Final Thoughts: I love this series! ( )
  thehistorychic | Dec 16, 2013 |
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“After dying and being revived with the experimental drug Returne, Bryn Davis is theoretically free to live her unlife—with regular doses to keep her going. But Bryn knows that the government has every intention of keeping a tight lid on Pharmadene’s life-altering discovery, no matter the cost.

Thankfully, some things have changed for the better; her job at the rechristened Davis Funeral Home is keeping her busy and her fragile romance with Patrick McCallister is blossoming—thanks in part to their combined efforts in forming a support group for Returne addicts. But when some of the group members suddenly disappear, Bryn wonders if the government is methodically removing a threat to their security, or if some unknown enemy has decided to run the zombies into the ground…”

Initially, I wasn’t going to continue with this series after reading Working Stiff. While I definitely thought Caine had some interesting ideas, I didn’t think their execution was handled well. And although I enjoyed this novel more than the first one, I still think that there things that keep me from really liking this story.

For one, even though I think the fate of Bryn and her kind—slow dissolution and rotting once they no longer have access to the Returne drug—is pretty horrific, it is at least a different take on the undead. Bryn is fully herself and conscious of her actions, and that’s a nice change of pace from the shambling zombies of most books. On the other hand, the drug—or lack thereof—becomes an all-too-convenient plot device to threaten Bryn. It’s not just that not getting her shot will cause her to have withdrawal symptoms; it’s that she’ll physically rot away, as will all of the Revived.

Also, by the end of this book the whole unique zombie scenario is turned on its ear and made into nothing more than a cliché once again. I was willing to grant the author points for originality until that happened. Without giving too much away, the thing that leads to more common zombie-ish stuff comes about as a natural outgrowth of what a rogue government agency might do with a revival drug; however, there are probably other directions it could have gone instead of taking the obvious path.

On the plus side, there’s a new villain in town: Jane, a homicidal, psychopathic manic who will literally stop at nothing to get what she wants. She enjoys causing pain and gets glee from torture and death. She’s a bad guy you’ll love to hate. She walks the line of being something of a caricature, but most of the time, her actions and behavior make her truly creepy.

The plot takes some interesting twists and turns as readers find out who’s doing what and how far the government is involved in what’s going on with Returne. Personally, I felt that the convolutions could have been done with a bit more clarity, because by the end, I had to really think back to remember who supposedly did what to whom.

I found this book to be a quick and mostly enjoyable read, so I can’t complain too much. Two Weeks’ Notice is an interesting addition to the ranks of novels featuring the undead, but it relies a bit too much on plot devices that can get old by the story’s end.

This review originally appeared on Owlcat Mountain on July 22, 2013.
  owlcat_mountain | Jul 22, 2013 |
Still dead, but hey, she's got her own mortuary... Brynn Davis is coping with her new situation - she's running the funeral home, started a support group for the dead-and-revived employees at Pharmadene, and she's ready to take the next step with oh-so-appealing Patrick McCallister. Unfortunately, the deal she made with the FBI is about to come knocking - and for Brynn, saying to to the job would mean a fate worse than death. Literally.

Caine cranks up the intensity and the action. ( )
  SunnySD | Jul 8, 2013 |
Bryn Davis is dead, well not completely dead, only sorta, kept going by a drug that has to be injected daily, that's a modified version of the Returne drug developed by Pharmadene. Her life is hanging by a thin line, the FBI have agreed to keep giving her the drug in return for occasional favours. When some of her support group for the "addicts" to this drug go missing she investigates and things will change for her forever.

It's not quite my type of read, I'm not a fan of zombies and the character isn't really speaking to me and getting me on her side. It's not bad, it's just not really exciting me. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 3, 2013 |
Bryn Davis is running the Davis Funeral Home and still running revived (zombieish) errands for the FBI. She is an excellent choice since as one of the revived herself, she can recover from almost any damage done to her. But she finds herself in the middle of a diabolical plan and she does not know who to trust. She is also trying to find her sister who has been kidnapped, not to mention her budding relationship with the charming and dangerous Patrick McCallister.

I really enjoyed this second book in the series. Bryn is a compelling character and the "revived" concept is very interesting. They are sort of high functioning zombies, pretty hard to tell them from human. The romance is nice but not the driving force of the story. There is lots of action and I really enjoy that. It was a nice cat and mouse where you are not sure who the bad guy is until it is too late. Will definitely be reading the next one. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Mar 12, 2013 |
To my dear friend and superhero, Rosemary Clement-Moore. Just because.
It was a perfect day for a funeral.

After members of a support group for addicts of the experimental drug Returne suddenly disappear, Bryn Davis begins to wonder if the government is methodically removing a threat to their security, or if some unknown enemy has decided to run the zombies into the ground.… (more)

103 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible