Every body matters : strengthening your body…

Every body matters : strengthening your body to strengthen your soul (edition 2011)

by Gary Thomas

Member:milibrarian
Title:Every body matters : strengthening your body to strengthen your soul
Authors:Gary Thomas
Info:Grand Rapids, Mich. : Zondervan, 2011.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:diet, exercise, spiritual growth, physical fitness, gluttony, sloth

Every Body Matters: Strengthening Your Body to Strengthen Your Soul by Gary Thomas

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I can't believe it's taken me so long to review Every Body Matters. I've read a couple other books by Gary Thomas, and he has given me a new perspective and way of thinking. This book was no different. It challenged me on how I treat my body, and made to want to make changes in my habits, for the right reasons. I will be reading this again, giving it another chance to sink in. ( )
  ndejong | Jan 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Every Body Matters puts health and fitness into a Christian perspective. The goal isn't about looking great, but being physically fit in order to better serve the Lord. "This entire book is focused on becoming 'holy, useful to the Master, and prepared to do any good work.'" (pg. 102) The area of eating and taking care of our bodies is one that is not discussed much in our Christian circles. Gary Thomas says, "Let's create a new kind of environmental influence--one that demonstrates how we treat our bodies as a form of Christian stewardship, a vehicle for evangelism, and preparation for the good work that God has planned for us to do." (pg. 100)
I agree with him in that we really do not address this area of our Christian lives. How we take care of our bodies now, will determine how much future ministry we can participate in. God has given us this one body to serve Him. I thought the book was a good reminder of why we want to strive to be healthy and to be mindful that God wants control over this area of my life too.

** I received this free book in exchange for an honest review from Library Thing. ( )
  MandaT | Jun 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was really looking forward to reading this book, mostly because I thought it would have a different take on matters of health. While it was somewhat motivating at time, it really didn't contain and new information and I wouldn't choose to read it again. ( )
  amysan | Jun 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. I found it very helpful as a woman who has had trouble controlling her weight and finding a balance including this struggle into my faith. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with weigh/body issues and who wants a Christian perspective. ( )
  booksandbutter | Jun 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Every Body Matters: Strengthening Your Body to Strengthen Your Soul was a very interesting read. As a physical education and health teacher and also a Christian this topic especially caught my attention.

The first part of the book does a good job of describing the authors personal struggles with weight gain and spiritual walk as well as other friends and faced with dealing with their weight. As some points the author nears the point of saying that it is a sin to be overweight, but backs away several chapters later and finally admits that there isn't enough evidence in the Bible to say so.

As the book progressed there was plenty of information about writings from the Church "fathers" and other famous theologians concerning this topic. I found this part of the book a bit dry and not really necessary.

The middle to end part of the book has the best content in my opinion. Thomas focuses in on the real crux of the matter, which is our heart. When it comes down to it, if we are focusing all our attention on things other than the Lord, it can become a sin. Another part that made me think was that even those that are not obese can still eat unhealthy food and not take care of themselves, even though their body might not show it on the outside.

In all, this book was a fine read on the topic, but nothing earth-shattering or new.

I received a complimentary book from LibraryThing in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  mudrash | May 7, 2012 |

Few pastors or Christian writers have dared to approach the subject of how proper eating and an active lifestyle can affect how we serve God. Author Gary Thomas does just that. And he reaches all the way back to the apostle Paul, who wrote that we need to prime our bodies to become, 'an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.' To illustrate the body/soul correlation, Thomas presents engaging and diverse stories that include a young mom who got fit through volleyball and reaped spiritual rewards in her marriage, a 300-pound pastor who realized his obesity was eroding his ministry impact, and a woman who gained the spiritual strength to survive a contentious divorce by training for a marathon. In every instance, Thomas makes a direct connection between the physical challenge and its spiritual consequence. This book is a must read for anyone seeking new and compelling motivation for strengthening their bodies and fortifying their souls. Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJVmFwlYbA for more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:43 -0400)

Every Body Matters explores how positively addressing our physical condition can lead to a fortified soul better able to serve and love others.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gary Thomas's book Every Body Matters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,526,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible