Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett

Extra Yarn (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Member:MBels
Title:Extra Yarn
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:
Rating:*****

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett (2012)

I absolutely loved this book! The illustrations were simple and worked extremely well with the story. The story was simply about a little girl who never ran out of yarn. She made sweaters and hats for everyone, even houses and animals! The Archduke offered her millions of dollars for her box, but she refused. The best part is when Annabelle has the box everything and everyone is happy and colorful in the illustrations and when the Archduke steals the box from her everything turns black and gray and grim. The text and illustrations work in harmony together to create the tone for the story. This book was a great find! ( )
  abrozi1 | Oct 6, 2014 |
I'm going to review this book in two parts - story by Mac Barnett and then illustrations by Jon Klassen.

This is an original and captivating story and it teaches a nice lesson. A young girl, who lives in a town that is cold and boring and very bland, finds a box of yarn. But it turns out it's not an ordinary box of yarn because the girl knits and knits and knits for basically anyone and everything in the town and she never runs out of yarn! It reminds us that we all have the ability to make our community a better and happier place.

Jon Klassen's style of illustrations are an absolutely perfect match for the story! This is the third Klassen book I've recently read, and they all are similar in style. Almost all of the illustrations are either shades of brown or gray, and are accented with certain pops of color. In THIS IS NOT MY HAT the hat is a shade of blue; the red hat, words, and background really stand out in I WANT MY HAT BACK. This style is perfect for telling the story of EXTRA YARN - the bland boring town comes alive with the addition of the knitted, colorful pieces. And, there are some cameos by a few characters from I WANT MY HAT BACK that made me smile.

I would say this is a perfect combination for a picture book - original and appealing story written by Mac Barnett combined with the perfect illustrations from Jon Klassen! 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
I thought this was a beautiful story. The girl in the story keeps crocheting for everyone she knows and the yarn never runs out proving that knidness and creativity are more important than logic. And after a the yarn is attempted to be stolen it comes back to the girl and she keeps on sharing with others her creations.
  abigail.shafer | Aug 15, 2014 |
Summary: This book tells the story of a girl named Annabelle who lives in a small town with colors of only black soot and white snow. She has the opportunity to add some color to her world when she finds a box of what seems to be never-ending yarn. She knits sweaters for herself, her dog, her neighbor, her classmates, her teachers, her family, and all of the buildings in her town. The town is no warm and full of color. One day her yarn is stolen by an archduke. He is unsatisfied when he finds out the box is empty. The yarn found its way back to Annabelle and the story ends with her sitting under a knitted tree.
Genre: Picture Book
Review: I had heard a lot of great things about this book before I read it. I loved the theme of loyalty between the yarn and its owner, Annabelle. It’s a great book to teach children about not taking things that aren’t theirs. All in all, I loved this book and would definitely recommend it.
  mroque | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is a story about a girl that enjoys using yarn to create many different things. This is a good book to show children even when people think you are crazy, you should continue to do what you love and what makes you happy. People looked at this little girl like she was crazy but she kept doing it anyway because she loved it. ( )
  AliciaFine | Jun 8, 2014 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061953385, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, January 2012: A monochrome town gets a change of color and attitude with the help of a box of yarn and a girl named Annabelle. From the seemingly endless box of Extra Yarn Annabelle knits clothing for everyone around her, tempering the ill-tempered, and creating beautifully patterned warmth for people, animals, and objects, alike. When a greedy clothes-loving archduke tries to buy--then steal--the box for himself, he discovers that ill-gotten gains bear no fruit--or in this case, yarn. Mac Barnett’s elegant and clever story is complemented by Jon Klassen’s illustrations, and fans of I Want My Hat Back will enjoy the familiar faces that show up in this picture book about the magical properties of kindness and generosity.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible