Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett

Extra Yarn (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Title:Extra Yarn
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett (2012)

I really enjoyed this book. It is about a young girl named Annabell who finds a box of yarn. This box of yarn never seems to run out. So Annabell makes herself a sweater, and then she still had yarn left over..so she makes her dog a sweater. Then she makes the boy who makes fun of her a sweater. (because he is jealous of course). Then she makes a sweater for everyone in town a sweater. After everyone in town has a sweater she makes sweater for inanimate objects. As she is making a sweater for a pick up truck the duke comes and wants to buy Annabell's box of endless yarn for ten million dollars! However, Annabell refuses to sell it to him. So he hires robbers to steal it, and they do. But when the duke opens it the box of yarn is empty! He throws the box out to sea, and Annabell comes across it again. When she opens the box it is still filled with yarn. I think the author was trying to portray that good things come to good people. The illustrations really made this book come to life. I enjoyed it very much, I am thinking about using it for a read-aloud. ( )
  Sleco | Oct 8, 2015 |
Extra Yarn Nonfiction: Modern Fantasy
Written by Mac Barnett, Illustrated by Jon Klassen (2012)

“Extra Yarn” by Mac Barnett is a cute corky story about a little girl (Annabell) with a box of yarn. Despite how much yarn she uses, she never ceases to run out. She knits sweaters for herself, her dog, her family, her neighbors, and then even begins making sweaters for inanimate objects. I thought it was humorous how the Annabell knits sweaters for houses, mailboxes, and a birdhouse. I think children would really find it funny because those objects would never need a sweater and the idea of a mailbox wearing a yarn sweater is silly. The illustrations by Jon Klassen were beautiful and really enhanced this book. In the beginning of the book the illustrations were very dull colored. As Annabell made sweaters for everything there was more and more color. In the illustrations the characters look very similar; however, there was always at least one specific feature that distinguished one from another. For example, the classmates had an assortment of different hats, scarves, headbands, and haircuts. The doctor also had a stethoscope while the archduke wore a very large hat with feather and a long scarf. I loved the illustrations as much as I loved the story. Eventually the archduke sends robbers to steal the box but when the archduke opens the box it is empty. In the end, the box finds its way back to Annabell. “Extra Yarn” focuses on the acceptance of creativity and karma. Annabell could knit a sweater for anything she wanted while the archduke could not use the box because he stole it. ( )
  LBurro2 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Throughout the book, the main character is sharing her yarn with everyone in her little town. So many people were jealous of her unique sweater, so she wanted to make everyone happy by giving everyone else sweaters, including animals, trees, and buildings.

The first thing I noticed about the story was the illustrations. Before the main character found the box of yarn, everything was dull and grey. After everyone and everything were covered in the yarn, the town was bright and colorful. That is why I used unique as a tag. The main character started off being unique because she was colorful compared to the rest of the town. I really liked that the illustrator used the colors in that way to portray the feeling and understanding of jealousy in the story. People wanted to be colorful just like her.

I also liked the part in the story when the Archduke stole the box of yarn and then when he opened it there was none left. He threw the box out and it eventually got back to the main character. When she opened the box, all of the yarn was still there. Just goes to show that good things only happen to good people. It is an important lesson for students to learn when growing up. Hopefully students can learn to grow up doing the right thing. ( )
  SamanthaThon | Sep 20, 2015 |
The main message of this book is that sometimes what is fun and important to one person may not be seen as fun to others.
I enjoyed this book because of the illustrations and the characters but I was not very fond of the plot.
The illustrations were quite fascinating because of the changes that occurred over time. Originally, the people, animals, and settings were completely white, brown, or black but gradually as the little girl make more and more sweaters everything became bright and cheerful which I believe to be a reflection of the town’s outlook. It was also interesting to see that even the individuals that traveled from different lands were also portrayed in dark colors while Annabelle, the main character, and everyone else was beginning to be associated with bright colors.
I also enjoyed the characters themselves. As I was reading, I began to like Annabelle and her simple nature, spite not doing too many different activities throughout the story. I was pleased that she refused to sell her box of yarn to the archduke and that instead of using the yarn to make money she used the yarn to make presents for all the people, animals, and things in the town. It shows to me that she is a kind and unselfish person ,which I really liked for this story.
Although I did enjoy this book, I was a bit confused and unhappy with the plot towards the end. I was not happy with the archduke taking the box away form the little girl and sailing back home. It was quite cruel and selfish of the archduke. Also I think a few children might be a bit uncertain about why the box was full of yarn for the young girl but was empty for the archduke. The last quarter of the book was just a bit unsatisfying for me. ( )
  graceberry | Sep 14, 2015 |
I loved this book for many different reasons. I loved the plot of this book. I loved how Annabelle found a box of yarn and began sharing with everyone all of her town and then the world. The plot also has some suspense because the Archduke stole the box of yarn but, then the readers find out that the yarn can only belong to Annabelle. The illustrations compliment the plot. The town is described as it either looking “white as snow” or “black of soot from chimneys”. The author begins with having no color on the pages. However, once Annabelle finds the box of yarn, she begins to make everyone sweaters. As she makes everyone sweaters, the illustrator includes color throughout the book to show the color that Annabelle is bringing to the town. This books pushes readers to make the connection between the town before Annabelle found the yarn and after Annabelle began making sweaters for everyone. The big idea or message of this book is that there always can be beauty in things. At first, people made fun of Annabelle for making the sweaters because they called it a “distraction”. In the end, everyone wanted one of Annabelle’s sweaters because they didn’t want to be either the only one in black or white. They wanted to have color in their life. This book can be considered Modern Fantasy. The plot is logical even though there is no such thing as magic yarn. The author makes the setting seem real by including things that would be in a real town. I loved this book and I would definitely read it to my students in the future.
  katiebanaszak | Sep 13, 2015 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061953385, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, January 2012: A monochrome town gets a change of color and attitude with the help of a box of yarn and a girl named Annabelle. From the seemingly endless box of Extra Yarn Annabelle knits clothing for everyone around her, tempering the ill-tempered, and creating beautifully patterned warmth for people, animals, and objects, alike. When a greedy clothes-loving archduke tries to buy--then steal--the box for himself, he discovers that ill-gotten gains bear no fruit--or in this case, yarn. Mac Barnett’s elegant and clever story is complemented by Jon Klassen’s illustrations, and fans of I Want My Hat Back will enjoy the familiar faces that show up in this picture book about the magical properties of kindness and generosity.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,762,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible