Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett

Extra Yarn (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Member:MBels
Title:Extra Yarn
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett (2012)

Gorgeous design and message, beautifully, subtly, and magically told. Artists will love it. Will children? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons, one of them being the theme, characters, and illustrations. From the illustration, the reader could figure out what was going on, and I loved the front cover and the details.
I liked how each character had their own ideas and personalities, it made the story fun. And the theme on sharing your gifts and sharing when you have more than you need, is a great reminder for children. ( )
  lindsayeubanks | Jun 2, 2016 |
I thought this was a cute story. I liked how the yarn brought color to the boring town. ( )
  beanandboone | Mar 12, 2016 |
A brief summary:
Annabelle lives in a town where everything is either white with snow or black with soot until one day she finds a box filled with yarn of every color. After Annabelle knits herself a sweater, she finds that she has some extra yarn and decides to knit her dog, Mars a sweater too. Annabelle continues to make sweaters for people and animals, yet she always seems to have extra yarn. She continues to knit sweaters for everything, from cats to dogs to buildings that didn't even need sweaters. Soon, news about Annabelle and her box of never ending yarn began to spread and people from all around the world began to visit her, even an archduke who is willing to give her ten million dollars in exchange for the box of yarn. Annabelle refuses the archduke's offer, so he sends three robbers in the night to break into her house. After the robbers retrieve the box, the archduke opens it to find that the yarn is gone and throws the box out of his window, shouting a curse of unhappiness upon Annabelle. The box floats on a piece of ice all the way to a pond where Annabelle finds it and she quickly goes back to happily knitting sweaters for everything she can lay her hands on.

My personal reaction:
The contrast between the colorful yarn and the dreary setting complements the contrast between the villainous archduke's greed and Annabelle's genuine happiness and creativity. I enjoy how the author leaves a bit of mystery as to where the yarn goes when the archduke steals the box as it puts more emphasis on Annabelle's creative use of the yarn, not the yarn itself.

A couple of uses:
- Have students create artwork that mimics the contrast of light and dark that is seen with Jon Klassen's illustrations.
- In the beginning of her knitting frenzy, Annabelle is confronted by a boy named Nate who tries to bully her. Instead of letting the boy get to her, she recognizes that his rude words are only because he is jealous and makes him a sweater anyway. Use this moment in the story as a gateway into discussing the reasons why people bully each other.

Genre:
This book fits under the genre of fantasy as it features a magical box that never runs out of yarn, something that is not of the real world.

Media:
appears to be water color, ink, and digital editing ( )
  Lucymae | Mar 7, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book "Extra Yarn' by Mac Barnett. I believe that the illustrations and the characters are the two biggest reasons I liked the book. "Extra Yarn" is a Caldecott Honor Winner and I think that this shows. The artistic technique used in the illustrations enhances the mood of the book. Additionally, I enjoy that one could only look at the pictures and mostly figure out what the book is about. Additionally, I enjoy the characters found in this book. The main character Annabelle reaches out to all of the unique humans and animals in her town to ask if they want a sweater. Most people reply yes, as it is cold and snowy outside. However, I enjoy that Mr. Crabtree received a hat instead of a sweater, because he does not like wearing sweaters or long pants. The message of this book is that compassion for others and sharing is important. If one shares with their friends they will be much richer than one that just takes for themselves.
  may_tay_kay | Feb 22, 2016 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061953385, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, January 2012: A monochrome town gets a change of color and attitude with the help of a box of yarn and a girl named Annabelle. From the seemingly endless box of Extra Yarn Annabelle knits clothing for everyone around her, tempering the ill-tempered, and creating beautifully patterned warmth for people, animals, and objects, alike. When a greedy clothes-loving archduke tries to buy--then steal--the box for himself, he discovers that ill-gotten gains bear no fruit--or in this case, yarn. Mac Barnett’s elegant and clever story is complemented by Jon Klassen’s illustrations, and fans of I Want My Hat Back will enjoy the familiar faces that show up in this picture book about the magical properties of kindness and generosity.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,898,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible