The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through…

The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the… (original 2011; edition 2016)

by Mark Forsyth (Author)

Springing from writer and journalist Mark Forsyth's hugely popular blog The Inky Fool and including word-connection parlour games perfect for any word-lovers get-together, The Etymologicon is a brilliant map of the secret labyrinth that lurks beneath the English language.There's always a connection. Sometimes, it's obvious: an actor's role was once written on a roll of parchment, and cappuccinos are the same colour as the robes of a Capuchin monk. Sometimes the connection is astonishing and a little more hidden: who would have guessed that your pants and panties are named after Saint Pantaleon, the all-compassionate?… (more)
Member:PDCW
Title:The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
Authors:Mark Forsyth (Author)
Info:Icon Books Ltd (2016), Edition: UK ed., 256 pages
Tags:Language, Humour

The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language by Mark Forsyth (2011)

English (42)  Italian (1)  All languages (43)
This one jumped right into my top 10 fave books ever. It is the kind of thing I LOVE but that drives everyone around me crazy. Kind of Bill Brysonesque but way more random and pointless. He starts with the word book and then links it to turn and then chicken and through hundreds more origins and histories and then back to book and then ends way way too soon. I love this book ( )
  rickycatto | Sep 9, 2020 |
Very readable journey through the meanings of words in the English Language. Forsyth has a very breezy writing style and the short sections makes this one to easily get through.

Some fascinating tales, love how rich the English Language is - bastardised from countless languages whether it be through mishearings, mispronunciations, evolution through time or just plain stealing. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
I used this as my waiting room book. You can pick it up any time, read as much or alittle as you want. It's always interesting. It's a fascinating romp through the english language, finding where words come from, linking them in strange ways. Excellent and enjoyable. ( )
  GeoffSC | Jul 25, 2020 |
I like books on words and language, and lots of them that I have read can be a bit dry. But this one isn't.

Forsyth has a way with words that makes you smile, and in this book he leads the reader on a meander through the words and phrases of the English language. Each mini chapter leads onto the next, sometimes a little tenuously, until the final chapter, which links right back to the first.

I was quite surprised how many words that are unlinked now have common roots. a good example is mortgage and mortuary, which have the common route mort which means death.

Great book for words smiths. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I have no idea what I just read, but whatever it was, it was entertaining, amusing, irreverant and fairly interesting. ;) ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
This is a book.

Littered with many
Aaahh moments - a joy to read
From start to finish.
(passion4reading)
Enlightening book
About the origins of
Common English words.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,403,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible