Sophocles I: Ajax / Electra / Oedipus…

Sophocles I: Ajax / Electra / Oedipus Tyrannus

by Sophocles

I haven't got this copy I've got the penguin one but I have to say really good stuff. like how the charecters are single minded or two dimensional I find it refreshingly different and more honest compared to the plot twists and hidden depths that pretty much all other literature uses to create plot and tension. Really clear readable and poetic ( )
  djlimb | Mar 22, 2007 |

Sophoclesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lloyd-Jones, HughTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the first volume of Sophocles in the Loeb Classical Library, containing: Ajax; Electra; Oedipus Tyrannus. Do not combine it with the Grene and Lattimore's The Complete Greek Tragedies Sophocles I

Sophocles (497/6–406 BCE), with Aeschylus and Euripides, was one of the three great tragic poets of Athens, and is considered one of the world's greatest poets. The subjects of his plays were drawn from mythology and legend. Each play contains at least one heroic figure, a character whose strength, courage, or intelligence exceeds the human norm—but who also has more than ordinary pride and self-assurance. These qualities combine to lead to a tragic end.

Hugh Lloyd-Jones gives us, in two volumes, a new translation of the seven surviving plays. Volume I contains Oedipus Tyrannus (which tells the famous Oedipus story), Ajax (a heroic tragedy of wounded self-esteem), and Electra (the story of siblings who seek revenge on their mother and her lover for killing their father). Volume II contains Oedipus at Colonus (the climax of the fallen hero's life), Antigone (a conflict between public authority and an individual woman's conscience), The Women of Trachis (a fatal attempt by Heracles' wife to regain her husband's love), and Philoctetes (Odysseus's intrigue to bring an unwilling hero to the Trojan War).

Of his other plays, only fragments remain; but from these much can be learned about Sophocles' language and dramatic art. The major fragments—ranging in length from two lines to a very substantial portion of the satyr play The Searchers—are collected in Volume III of this edition. In prefatory notes Lloyd-Jones provides frameworks for the fragments of known plays.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible