On My Way to the Club by Ludovic Kennedy

On My Way to the Club

by Ludovic Kennedy

When I lived in England Ludovic (who died in 2009) was a very prominent figure, in the more serious Broadcasting and Press world, a ‘public figure’ in his efforts to obtain justice for victims of the wrongly accused (or hung) and in liberal politics. In reading this autobiography I was fascinated by how nearly our paths had crossed, he was briefly stationed as a Naval officer (RNVR) in the Navy town I grew up in, served in several ships that my own naval father saw service in, attended some of the training courses I did in the ”Wavy-Navy” training ships on the London embankment and was the Liberian for a year at Ashridge College where later I was an Associate and Lecturer. In his extensive travels as a freelance international news producer (particularly in his delightful book Very Lovely People http://www.librarything.com/work/13168252) we seemed to have nearly met on several occasions. I have even been a guest in the “Club” of the title, one of the few that did not ‘blackball’ his membership for his successful forays in obtaining justice in for the victims of the British Law courts. So perhaps it is obvious that I would thoroughly enjoy this work.

However; his war service as a Naval officer and his subsequent return to university to complete his interrupted studies led Ludovic to become an outstanding author, playwright and television presenter and his life-long marriage to famous ballerina Moira Shearer (The Red Shoes) make this a wonderful ‘life’ that any reader should enjoy.
  John_Vaughan | Apr 24, 2013 |
He is on amiable terms with landowners like ‘Johnnie Dalkeith’; he is an habitué of Brooks’s; he has known what it is to wear the aiguillette as a governor’s aide-de-camp (in Newfoundland, in an interval in his war service); he has had the pleasure of sitting in the Queen Mary’s cinema and seeing his own wedding (to the ballet dancer, Moira Shearer) featured in a newsreel as one of the ‘weddings of the year’ (the other being Elizabeth Taylor’s first). As a Liberal Parliamentary candidate he twice scored high polls at Rochdale and he tells us that if he had agreed to fight Edinburgh Central he had David Steel’s ‘generous’ promise that, if he lost, he would be recommended for the Lords. As a communicator he has met or interviewed everybody and travelled everywhere; and he has sufficient faith in television as a universal educator to say that, in this respect, ‘I believe my career has been well spent.’

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible