Death Warmed Over by Kevin J. Anderson

Death Warmed Over (edition 2013)

by Kevin J. Anderson

8919135,585 (3.59)3
Member:jeff1124
Title:Death Warmed Over
Authors:Kevin J. Anderson
Info:Brilliance Audio on CD Value Priced (2013), Audio CD

Death warmed over by Kevin J. Anderson

English (19)  Piratical (1)  All languages (20)
Entertaining story set in a world where zombies, ghosts, ghouls, vampires, werewolves, mummies, trolls and other creatures (Unnaturals) exist, mostly due to an event ten years prior they refer to as The Big Uneasy. A curse in a book was accidentally activated and now all of these creatures exist. Dan Chambeaux is a private investigator who was killed a month ago while investigating his girlfriend’s death. When he crawled out of his grave as a zombie, what could he do but go back to work? He and his friend, Robin Deyer who is a lawyer specializing in cases to enact reforms for the Unnaturals, partner up in a business with the office now being run by Chambeaux’ dead girlfriend who is a ghost. These three make a great trio both as characters as well as how the abilities of each compliment the things they take on.

Funny, imaginative tale, a number of unique cases are worked on at once, including investigating his own death. Many humans aren’t especially accepting of the monsters, which for the most part are just going about their own business as usual. This provides a back story which is carried forward into at least the next book. We get humorous descriptions of the different species, as well as the good and the bad about various conditions.

My friend called me to suggest I get this book when she was only ¼ of the way into it; the book was being offered for free. I enjoyed it so much that I’ve purchased the next two books in the series.

There are times when the author repeats something, such as who a character is that we’d met earlier on. I found that to be a good thing in some places—there are a lot of characters in this book—and others where it was totally unnecessary.

A light, fun read. ( )
  dearheart | Aug 10, 2014 |
Dan Chambeaux, a private investigator, and his girlfriend Sheyenne, a med student, recently died. But thanks to a weird event now called ??The Big Uneasyƒ? which happened a decade ago, dead no longer means dead. A certain percentage of folks (usually homicides and suicides) return from the grave as some sort of ƒ??Unnatural.ƒ? Thatƒ??s what happened to Dan and Sheyenne. Now heƒ??s a zombie and sheƒ??s a ghost. Thatƒ??s not stopping them from living life, but it is stopping them from touching each other.

Dan has returned to his job and heƒ??s working on several cases involving Unnaturals (divorce, stolen painting, missing persons, etc.). In his spare time he tries to figure out who killed him and Sheyenne. His investigations bring him into contact with werewolves, wizards, witches, necromancers, ghouls, vampires, mummies, goblins, trolls, and various other weirdos.

The publisherƒ??s blurb... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/death-warmed-over/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Does the genre really need humorous sub-Lovecraftian urban fantasy? Kevin Anderson seems to think so and I have no problem assenting that he achieved his end of producing an entertaining enough send-up of hard-boiled detective cliches crossed with the current (hopefully waning) craze for all things zombie. Do I really need more though? That remains to be seen.

If I had a relevant criticism it might be that the setting of New Orleans really doesn't come through, even as a set of cliches that are also given the comic treatment; the locality might have well as been Detroit. ( )
  Shrike58 | Sep 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book just didn't work for me... I've started it several times, as I owed it a review. It took a lot of determination to finish it. It wasn't a bad book, I just had a very difficult time getting into it. It's a cross between a pulp detective story and urban fantasy. Dan Shamble is trying to solve his own murder, as well as other cases as a detective. I thought the murderer was pretty obvious, so I found the bad puns the real reason I kept picking up the book.
Like I said, it's not a bad book, it turns out I like my zombies to act like zombies and not so much like people. ( )
  Radella | Aug 15, 2013 |
This was a cute, quick read. Nothing deep about it. Mr. Anderson's writing style for this book flowed easily. Some might say it was dumbed down as compared to his other books. I haven't read any of his other works so I can't say.

Basic who dunnit with the protagonist trying to solve his own murder as well as that of his girlfriend along with a variety of other cases, harrassment, cover ups, black markets, divorce. What makes the story different is the setting...it's a world full of zombies, ghosts, witches, werewolves, vampires, etc. with a few humans tossed in. Apparently they too have their own share of problems.

Easy read for a rainy day. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jul 10, 2013 |
To Mike Resnick, whose sense of humor is always dead-on
I'm dead, for starters-it happens.

Ever since the Big Uneasy unleashed vampires, werewolves, and other undead denizens on the world, it’s been hell being a detective — especially for zombie P.I. Dan Chambeaux. Taking on the creepiest of cases in the Unnatural Quarter with a human lawyer for a partner and a ghost for a girlfriend, Chambeaux redefines “dead on arrival".

But just because he was murdered doesn't mean he’d leave his clients in the lurch. Besides, zombies are so good at lurching. Now he’s back from the dead and back in business — with a caseload that’s downright unnatural. A resurrected mummy is suing the museum that put him on display. Two witches, victims of a curse gone terribly wrong, seek restitution from a publisher for not using “spell check” on its magical tomes. And he’s got to figure out a very personal question — Who killed him?

For Dan Chambeaux, it’s all in a day’s work. (Still, does everybody have to call him “Shamble”?) Funny, fresh, and irresistible, this cadaverous caper puts the P.I. in R.I.P…. with a vengeance.

Ever since the Big Uneasy unleashed vampires, werewolves and other undead denizens on the world, it's been hell for zombie P.I. Dan Chambeau who works with a human lawyer as his partner. His cases now include a resurrected mummy that is suing the museum that put him on display, two witches that were victims of a curse gone terribly wrong seek restitution from a publisher for not using "spell check" on its magical tomes. And Dan must also find out who caused his own death.… (more)

10 wanted2 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Death Warmed Over by Kevin J. Anderson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible