Death Warmed Over (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I.)…

Death Warmed Over (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I.) (edition 2012)

by Kevin J. Anderson

Member:PeggyK49
Title:Death Warmed Over (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I.)
Authors:Kevin J. Anderson
Info:Kensington (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:2013, Your library
Rating:*
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Detective, Dan Shambles

Death warmed over by Kevin J. Anderson

English (18)  Piratical (1)  All languages (19)
Dan Chambeaux, a private investigator, and his girlfriend Sheyenne, a med student, recently died. But thanks to a weird event now called ??The Big Uneasyƒ? which happened a decade ago, dead no longer means dead. A certain percentage of folks (usually homicides and suicides) return from the grave as some sort of ƒ??Unnatural.ƒ? Thatƒ??s what happened to Dan and Sheyenne. Now heƒ??s a zombie and sheƒ??s a ghost. Thatƒ??s not stopping them from living life, but it is stopping them from touching each other.

Dan has returned to his job and heƒ??s working on several cases involving Unnaturals (divorce, stolen painting, missing persons, etc.). In his spare time he tries to figure out who killed him and Sheyenne. His investigations bring him into contact with werewolves, wizards, witches, necromancers, ghouls, vampires, mummies, goblins, trolls, and various other weirdos.

The publisherƒ??s blurb... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/death-warmed-over/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Does the genre really need humorous sub-Lovecraftian urban fantasy? Kevin Anderson seems to think so and I have no problem assenting that he achieved his end of producing an entertaining enough send-up of hard-boiled detective cliches crossed with the current (hopefully waning) craze for all things zombie. Do I really need more though? That remains to be seen.

If I had a relevant criticism it might be that the setting of New Orleans really doesn't come through, even as a set of cliches that are also given the comic treatment; the locality might have well as been Detroit. ( )
  Shrike58 | Sep 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book just didn't work for me... I've started it several times, as I owed it a review. It took a lot of determination to finish it. It wasn't a bad book, I just had a very difficult time getting into it. It's a cross between a pulp detective story and urban fantasy. Dan Shamble is trying to solve his own murder, as well as other cases as a detective. I thought the murderer was pretty obvious, so I found the bad puns the real reason I kept picking up the book.
Like I said, it's not a bad book, it turns out I like my zombies to act like zombies and not so much like people. ( )
  Radella | Aug 15, 2013 |
This was a cute, quick read. Nothing deep about it. Mr. Anderson's writing style for this book flowed easily. Some might say it was dumbed down as compared to his other books. I haven't read any of his other works so I can't say.

Basic who dunnit with the protagonist trying to solve his own murder as well as that of his girlfriend along with a variety of other cases, harrassment, cover ups, black markets, divorce. What makes the story different is the setting...it's a world full of zombies, ghosts, witches, werewolves, vampires, etc. with a few humans tossed in. Apparently they too have their own share of problems.

Easy read for a rainy day. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jul 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Death Warmed Over
(Dan Shamble, Zombie PI Series #1)
Kevin J. Anderson
Trade Paperback
Publisher: Kensington
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0758277343
304 pages
Advance Reader’s Copy

New Orleans has a tendency to spit out some odd and unsavory characters from time to time but when the undead, including zombies, vampires, werewolves, and a host of other distasteful characters infiltrate NOLA then it can only go from really bad to totally jacked. When the “Big Uneasy” occurred, a mysterious event ten years earlier that released every variety of nightmarish monsters into the real world, one P.I.’s investigative workload took an unusual turn for the bizarre. Dan Chambeaux, Zombie PI, and his ghostly, lounge-singing girlfriend, Sheyenne, take on some of the shadiest cases in the “Unnatural Quarter” including a resurrected mummy suing the museum that put him in their showroom for wrongful imprisonment, two hexed witches filing legal action against a publisher for not using “spell check” on its books of enchantments, and a skittish vampire with a stake phobia. Those cases pay the bills but of greater importance to Chambeaux is who turned him and why? And what’s with the bullet hole through the middle of his head? Twisted, hilarious, and completely entertaining Death Warmed Over is the perfect gift for that murder-mystery ghost-loving undead-zombie-detective-humorist fan in your life. You know who they are!

Death Warmed Over, the first book in the Dan Shamble, Zombie PI series by Kevin J. Anderson is a rollicking, dark-humor, supernatural tale that I recommend for pulp, humor, detective, zombie, and murder mystery fans of all ages. (Mostly not for pre-teens, ‘cuz, you know, there’re zombies and mayhem and the unnaturally undead in here. Of course, just by saying this I know it’ll send them all flocking to the nearest library to check it out. If only that were true?) [If you are under 13 and reading this please forget that I wrote the last two sentences. K? BTW, there’s plenty of really excellent YA novels at the library.]

File with: Zombies, the supernatural, zombie private investigator, murder mystery, even more zombies, undead, super-unnatural beings, flesh-eaters, pulp detective/true crime stories, Zombies vs. Vampires vs. Werewolves, a lot more zombies, New Orleans, witches, mummies, curses, and The Walking Dead.

4 out of 5 stars

The Alternative
Southeast Wisconsin

Additional Reading:

Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. Series:
1. Death Warmed over (2012)
2. Unnatural Acts (2012)
3. Hair Raising (2013) ( )
  TheAlternativeOne | May 8, 2013 |
To Mike Resnick, whose sense of humor is always dead-on
I'm dead, for starters-it happens.

Ever since the Big Uneasy unleashed vampires, werewolves, and other undead denizens on the world, it’s been hell being a detective — especially for zombie P.I. Dan Chambeaux. Taking on the creepiest of cases in the Unnatural Quarter with a human lawyer for a partner and a ghost for a girlfriend, Chambeaux redefines “dead on arrival".

But just because he was murdered doesn't mean he’d leave his clients in the lurch. Besides, zombies are so good at lurching. Now he’s back from the dead and back in business — with a caseload that’s downright unnatural. A resurrected mummy is suing the museum that put him on display. Two witches, victims of a curse gone terribly wrong, seek restitution from a publisher for not using “spell check” on its magical tomes. And he’s got to figure out a very personal question — Who killed him?

For Dan Chambeaux, it’s all in a day’s work. (Still, does everybody have to call him “Shamble”?) Funny, fresh, and irresistible, this cadaverous caper puts the P.I. in R.I.P…. with a vengeance.

Ever since the Big Uneasy unleashed vampires, werewolves and other undead denizens on the world, it's been hell for zombie P.I. Dan Chambeau who works with a human lawyer as his partner. His cases now include a resurrected mummy that is suing the museum that put him on display, two witches that were victims of a curse gone terribly wrong seek restitution from a publisher for not using "spell check" on its magical tomes. And Dan must also find out who caused his own death.… (more)

10 wanted2 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Death Warmed Over by Kevin J. Anderson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible