Deliver Us From Normal by Kate Klise

Deliver Us From Normal

by Kate Klise

Series: Normal (1)

I don't want to write a big review about this, because it hits too close to home and brings up parts of my childhood that weren't as idyllic as the parts I focus on remembering. But I have to say this:

The other reviewers who think this is lame, or irrelevant, or unbelievable, or whatever, don't get it. God bless 'em for being so innocent. How nice for them that they had such a nice childhood that they don't identify with this family.

The tone at the end is just a bit too optimistic, but that's ok - that's what the young readers who *do* empathize with this need.

Oh, and btw, it does *not* bash religion. It reluctantly admits that the Catholic doctrine doesn't have a unique take on all the answers, that's all. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Decent story about a family who lives just outside of Normal, both literally and figuratively. The book's protagonist, Charles Harrisong, wants nothing more than to blend into his typical suburban community. But he comes from a family that can't help but stick out. Then something happens that forces Charles to reevaluate the family he's constantly so embarrassed to be around. I won't give away the ending, but I will say that this book really didn't do it for me. The problem with Charles's quirky family was that they really weren't that quirky. This book read like a poor imitation of Surviving the Applewhites. I was also quite disappointed by the amount of adult content thrown in. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
sweet, engaging, believable story of Charles Harrisong and his family--great read for anyone who's ever felt like the odd one out or been embarrassed by their family. Lovely
  mochap | Aug 14, 2013 |
Deliver Us From Normal is about a family living in poverty. The Harrisong family lives in Normal, Illinois in a mustard yell house. They live in Normal, but their lives are anything but Normal. The main character is a boy, Charles. Charles and his four siblings each deal with poverty on a different way. Charles seems to struggle with the family's situation the most. An unfortunate incident occurs at school that causes the whole Harrisong family to move in the middle of the night from their rented mustard yellow house in Normal to a small dilapidated boat in Alabama. Charles has to help his family fix up the boat.

I recommend this book as a family Read Aloud because it tells about how a family learns to work together to solve intense problems.

By: soccer5 ( )
  soccer5 | Sep 3, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this book! It made me laugh out loud more than a few times. I would recommend this book for tweens, especially boys as the main character, 11 year old Charles, is very funny in a self deprecating sort of way that kids could really relate to.
  davjack | Jan 3, 2011 |

A humorous and heartbreaking novel about growing up in a large family. Now in paperback!

Yes, there really is a Normal, Illinois. Charles Harrisong should know; he was born there. But life in Normal is difficult for Charles because his family isn't normal at all. They're poor, for one thing. They stand out, which is the worst thing. After an ugly incident at school, Charles and his family leave Normal in the middle of the night and begin an adventure that takes them to a shipwrecked houseboat that just might be their new home. And Charles begins a personal journey within his own heart--one that will ultimately deliver him both from and to himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:28 -0400)

With a mother who buys Christmas cards in August and a younger brother who describes the Trinity as a toasted marshmallow on a graham cracker, life for eleven-year-old Charles Harrisong is anything but normal in Normal, Illinois.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible