Uglies: Shay's Story (Graphic Novel) by…

Uglies: Shay's Story (Graphic Novel)

by Scott Westerfeld, Steven Cummings (Illustrator), Devin Grayson

Having already read Uglies, I found very little of this to be unique, that was not explained in some way in the original series (which did it all in a better, more succinct way). Shay's character felt more like Tally in the beginning and that was frankly very annoying. There were basically no differences in their personalities other than Shay being a lot more annoying than Tally was. Besides that, the art for the characters made every action and movement extremely overly dramatic, and that made them seem like caricatures. Over all, this was somewhat pointless. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
Okay, first off, there WAS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PRETTIES AND THE UGLIES. the problem with anime/manga artwork styles, I think, Is that everyone is PRETTY. so while Shay was complaining about being ugly, I was like "What are you talking about?!? You're not ugly at all!" especially since there was one character we saw as an ugly and then as a pretty and (this may just be me) I thought he was more attractive as an ugly.
also, I felt there should've been more to the story, but, then again, I'm used to novels with narration and all that good stuff. a comic book is just dialogue and pictures.
basic point is, I thought i would enjoy this book more than I did and I'm disappointed. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
The story was so boring I had a hard time finishing it, but the ending had me hooked enough to read the 2nd graphic novel. ( )
  Dra_Gone | Apr 2, 2018 |
Such a great companion to the original Uglies trilogy! Now I need to go back and reread the original books, knowing what we do about Shay now. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
Fans of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series will enjoy Shay's side of the story. Find out how Shay met David, became Tally's friend, and found her way to the Smoke. In the name of biological superiority and survival of the human race everyone has plastic surgery at 16. Two girls waiting for their 16th birthday meet and get a high off of sneaking around sophisticated security systems to pull pranks. When Shay hears about a settlement of people who never have the surgery and live outside the city, she is intrigued, and wants to join them. Shay tries to convince her friend Tally that she is beautiful just the way she is and begs her to come with them. Katie Z. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cummings, StevenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grayson, Devinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

“This whole game is just designed to make us hate ourselves.”—Shay

Uglies told Tally Youngblood’s version of life in Uglyville and the budding rebellion against the Specials. Now comes an exciting graphic novel revealing new adventures in the Uglies world—as seen through the eyes of Shay, Tally’s rebellious best friend who’s not afraid to break the rules, no matter the cost.

A few months shy of her sixteenth birthday, Shay eagerly awaits her turn to become a Pretty—a rite-of-passage operation called “the Surge” that transforms ordinary Uglies into paragons of beauty. Yet after befriending the Crims, a group of fellow teens who refuse to take anything in society at face value, Shay starts to question the whole concept. And as the Crims explore beyond the monitored borders of Uglyville into the forbidden, ungoverned wild, Shay must choose between the perks of being Pretty and the rewards of being real.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

After befriending the Crims, a group of fellow teens who refuse to take anything in society at face value, Shay starts to question the whole concept of being transformed from an ordinary "Ugly" into a paragon of beauty. And as the Crims explore beyond the monitored borders of Uglyville into the forbidden, Shay must choose between the perks of being Pretty and the rewards of being real.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Scott Westerfeld's book Uglies: Shay's Story (Graphic Novel) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,828,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible