Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy

Yellow Star (2006)

by Jennifer Roy

Recently added byfungrit, manning3, private library, SyrSynLib, CrystalToller, brittanystoess, HERJC, shillcutt

English (37)  Dutch (1)  All (38)
RGG: The point of view of a young child surviving in the Lodz ghetto is unique, and the story written in verse is approachable but intense. Reading Interest: 10-14.
  rgruberexcel | Jan 3, 2017 |
This is the true story of the author's Aunt Sylvia as told through extensive interviews by phone, of her childhood under the Nazi occupation of Lodz, Poland beginning in 1939. Sylvia was taken to the Lodz ghetto at age 5 and lived sealed off from the rest of Poland by a ghetto fence topped by barbed wire. She and her family (sister, mother and father) find themselves in very different living quarters. As the months and years go on, there is less food, less clothing and less heat in winter. But this is a family of survivors and about 4 1/2 years later, Sylvia walks out of the liberated ghetto with her family. She was only 1 of 12 children who survived!

The story is told in poetic prose. It is lyrical and yet extremely readable. I loved this book and I think all children and adults should read it. I will have it in my library at home. - Cookie M. ( )
  cavlibrary | Nov 11, 2016 |
Written in verse, this is a story of tragedy and hope as young Syvia and her family battle to stay alive in the ghetto at Lodz, Poland, during World War II. Very accessible and suitable for younger readers. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
A true story narrated in the same format (a narrative broken into small poems) as Karen Hesse's Out of the Dust & Witness. I read it in two hours and it's absolutely perfect for my student population (7th/8th).

It's the kind of story that needs very little, if any, background knowledge of the Holocaust/WWII but will leave the reader with a wealth of knowledge. It provides everything you need in the narrative and a few section introductions which are short nonfiction pieces included throughout. The narrator never sees a concentration camp--her whole experience is the five and a half years surviving the ghetto in Lodz, Poland, as a young child, her father cleverly avoiding all of the deportations for her family. This is the best of all of the holocaust books I've read so far that are full-length novel size, written for young audiences.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Only twelve children survived the Lodz ghetto at the end of WWII. This is the story of Sylvia, one of those children.

This was an interesting, short read. I would loved it if the book had more details. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Jun 9, 2015 |

Jennifer Royprimary authorall editionscalculated
Günther, HerbertTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Günther, UlliTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, Robin Rozines
Introduction: This is the true story of Syvia, now called Sylvia, Perlmutter.
I am four and a half years old, going on five,

hiding in my special place behind the armchair in the parlor,

brushing my doll's hair,

listening.

A novel-in-verse based on the true story of a little girl who was one of only twelve child survivors from the Lodz Ghetto in the Holocaust.

From 1939, when Syvia is four and a half years old, to 1945 when she has just turned ten, a Jewish girl and her family struggle to survive in Poland's Lodz ghetto during the Nazi occupation.

37 wanted2 pay7 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,250,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible