Always by Jude Deveraux

Normally I love Jude Deveraux's books, and normally I love paranormal/time-travel type stories but I had a little trouble with this one even after I realized it's part of a trilogy. I was lost with the references to previous storyline and felt left hanging at the end. This book is likely best read in the proper order and I may come back to it once I find and read the others. For this particular book in this particular trilogy, I only give it 3 stars. I recognized the Montgomery name from Ms. Deveraux's other series and love that she follows the same family throughout history. Guess I need to find the beginning and start there! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Aug 17, 2010 |
Once you suspend belief this book is hard to put down. Darci is using her psychic powers to search for her kidnapped husband Adam Montgomery.The FBI askes her to help findthe missing father ofan undercover agent Jack Rose. Darci and Jack travel back in time and encounter people who help them find clues to solve their current mystery. ( )
  lindahallmann | Apr 25, 2009 |
I realize this book is part of a series, and that is probably why I had trouble getting into the story, since I didn't have the backstory, but I had to struggle to finish this book. I very rarely put a book down without finishing it, and I had to come back several times just to get through it.

There were several things about the time travel aspect of this story that rubbed me the wrong way -- I've read/watched a lot of time travel as a sci-fi fan, and the approach to it in this novel made me feel like chucking it against a wall several times.

I found one of the love stories in the book to be way too quick and extremely unbelievable, and could not empathize with the character because of that.

I also thought the end of the book was very boring and anticlimactic. Granted, this could be because I didn't have any of the backstory, but it could also have been that I was looking forward to the book just being over. ( )
  ralkana | Oct 27, 2008 |
An intriguing opening, and engaging characters aren't enough to save this book from plot gaps and a really disjointed story line caused by too many references to events which took place in the past. This is just NOT one of Deveraux's best, even allowing for its being the concluding volume in a trilogy. I definitely wouldn't recommend reading it without having read the first two in the series.

Jack is an FBI agent possessed/protected by the angry and jealous spirit of a former lover from a past life. Darci is a paranormal with powers strong enough to paralyze an office full of FBI agents, and a missing husband. The two are assigned to find Jack's missing multimillionaire father. Simple enough, then there are the angels, spirits who may be angels, psychics, a time travel excursion in which the pair encounter Jack's true love and an historic double of Darci's missing husband Adam (she's the double of his dead wife), as well as the possessive woman who is Jack's future jealous possessor. Then there are Jack's present day plotting relatives sent off to clean homeless shelters, an beautiful estranged actress mother (Darci's).... Not to mention the fact that Darci may (or may not) be responsible for her husband's murder. And there's the whole sub-plot involving Darci's previous present day thwarting of a witch in mine tunnels (the same tunnels are critical in the past, as well). There's just way too much going on, and with so much foreshadowing, and past references, it's never clear which plot detours are important to this book, and which aren't. The ending leaves things open for yet another sequel, and the question of Darci's humanity slightly in question: is she actually an angel? Who knows. I don't think I'll be finding out any time soon. ( )
  SunnySD | Dec 18, 2007 |

Darci Monroe has never given up searching for her kidnapped husband, but her quest has taken her deeper into the world of psychic phenomena than she ever dreamed - or dared to go. Pulled into a time and place where she's stripped of her abilities, can Darci find the key that links to the modern-day crimes she's set out to solve? Darci has never given up searching for her kidnapped husband, Adam Montgomery. But her quest has taken her deeper into the world of psychic phenomena than she ever dreamed -- or dared to go. When the FBI enlists her help in locating the missing father of undercover agent Jack Rose, Darci signs on for the covert operation, not knowing that her attraction to handsome, sexy Jack is about to lead her into deadly territory -- and into an era long past. For Jack has a protector, a mysterious nineteenth-century lady who pulls them into a time and place where Darci is stripped of her abilities. Can she find the key that links to the modern-day crimes she's set out to solve? And will a showdown with a wicked force from the past hold her hostage... for all eternity?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743479017, Mass Market Paperback)

Darci has never given up searching for her kidnapped husband, Adam Montgomery. But her quest has taken her deeper into the world of psychic phenomena than she ever dreamed -- or dared to go. When the FBI enlists her help in locating the missing father of undercover agent Jack Rose, Darci signs on for the covert operation, not knowing that her attraction to handsome, sexy Jack is about to lead her into deadly territory -- and into an era long past. For Jack has a protector, a mysterious nineteenth-century lady who pulls them into a time and place where Darci is stripped of her abilities. Can she find the key that links to the modern-day crimes she's set out to solve? And will a showdown with a wicked force from the past hold her hostage...for all eternity?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:46 -0400)

Darci has never given up searching for her kidnapped husband, Adam Montgomery. But her quest has taken her deeper into the world of psychic phenomena than she ever dreamed--or dared to go. When the FBI enlists her help in locating the missing father of undercover agent Jack Rose, Darci signs on for the covert operation, not knowing that her attraction to handsome, sexy Jack is about to lead her into deadly territory--and into an era long past.… (more)

Jude Deveraux is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible