52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier,…

52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You

by Brett Blumenthal

This seems to be the time of year when everyone looks at ways they can better their life. You look at what goals you want to accomplish in the new year, projects you want to start, and one of them usually includes something to do with your health. Brett Blumenthal's book might just be exactly what you are looking for. In 52 SMALL CHANGES, Blumenthal takes you through one project a week, focusing on different aspects of your health in small doses so that they are more likely to become habits.

As you begin, you are directed to website where you enter in information to get a baseline. You will then get a print out showing areas where you are deficient, areas that could use some improvement, and areas where you are doing well. For example, mine showed I needed to increase my water intake as well as eating more fruits and vegetables. It also showed that I was getting an adequate amount of sleep.

The book takes you through 52 (obviously) different chapters focusing on one task starting with Drink Up, adding more water intake. It tells you why you need more water, how to use your weight to measure how much water you need every day and when to drink your water throughout the day. At the end of each chapter there is a weekly change checklist. Then each chapter builds on the next checklist as you are continuing to add good habits to your routine.

I found the material to be easy to comprehend, not full of medical jargon or research. The information was basic and full of tips to easily add these habits to your daily routine. I appreciated how it was broken up into one task per week and with the short chapters, it was easy to read and take in the information.

At the end of the book, you can retake your same baseline test and see in which areas you have improved and areas you still need to work on. You can also get continued support as you read through the book from Blumenthal's Facebook page.

Whether you are looking for motivation to add more color to your diet, start a new hobby, get that physical you have been meaning to schedule, or to declutter your home and finances, this book will walk you through each step, offering tools, resources, and support to make those small changes in your life, ultimately making big changes in your life. ( )
  Staciele | Nov 26, 2013 |

I skimmed through this one. Lots of ideas I've heard before, but I like the structure of the book. I'd like to work on several things, including getting better organized at home and planning meals for the week ahead. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Got this in the Kindle sale, since I'm doing something similar off my own bat, to see if there were any ideas. It's pretty USA-centric, and pretty predictable -- get enough sleep, cut out saturated fats, manage your budget, etc, all the usual suggestions for avoiding stress and living a healthier life -- but it does come with handy charts and stuff, and if you need a good structure, it should help. Some of the 'extra credit' suggestions were handy. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
OK, folks, THIS is how you do it! Brett Blumenthal has broken down a healthier, happier lifestyle into 52 bite-sized chunks. You make one change a week. Absolutely doable. She gives the why along with the what and the how.

Included in each week's "assignment" is a "Roadmap to Success" which breaks each bite-sized chunk down even further. If you've already mastered one of the changes, she includes "Extra Credit" to help you step it up a notch. This not only helps you improve in that area, but reinforces the habit of making one change a week. You never have to skip a week.

One of the greatest strengths of this work, to me personally, is the attitude with which she presents her program. I know without a doubt that Blumenthal believes heart and soul in the changes that she is advocating. Similarly, I can say without hesitation that she believes in stewardship of the planet and careful use of resources. However, not once did those beliefs manifest themselves in sermonizing or condescension.

This is really a program that anyone could follow and be happy about. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
MY THOUGHTS

LOVED IT

For anyone who has struggled to have a healthier new year and failed, this is the book for you! I fell off the wagon in my own health situation and I have high hopes for following this simple plan to get back on track. All of the ideas in this book are easy to put to use and very inexpensive. The first thing the author discusses is the importance of water. Water is pretty much a miracle for any dieter and those who really want to be in better health. The second thing that really caught my attention was the simple act of walking. Just by walking a little bit each day and increasing it weekly, you can easily get become more flexible, lower your cholesterol and lose a bit of weight.

Each chapter builds on the previous and you can add each step or take your time with each step. I think for those of us truly motivated, you can get all through each of the weeks a lot faster than a year. There is even "extra credit" when you feel especially determined. I did have to laugh at the part about getting a dog to aid in making you walk. I had an Australian Shepherd, who without fail and no matter the weather, would wake me at 5am to go for a walk. I now have a dachshund that prefers to sleep in, hates cold and rain, and would like to chase things rather than walk. I guess this plan will have to make her more active as well.

One thing that might be a challenge for some people is the chapter on food, where the author recommends organic and natural things only. Once you start substituting fruit and vegetables for processed food, you will gradually start to feel better. I know personally that organic products cost more and for a lot of people this in itself is something of a deal breaker, but these days there is a lot more choice and the prices are coming down on a lot of these products. Overall, this is one of the best books about changing yourself and your health situation I have seen in a long time. ( )
  MaryinHB | Jan 7, 2012 |

"Whether as New Year's resolutions, birthday wishes, or daily promises, most everyone vows at some point to make a major life change. But change is easier said than done, especially when it comes to better managing our wellness amidst the chaos of everyday living. Fortunately, wellness coach and award-winning writer Brett Blumenthal has devised a way to inspire and motivate her readers to live healthier and make positive changes in their lives. Although Blumenthal's method is not a quick fix, it is a surprisingly simple one: make one small change per week, for fifty-two weeks, and at the end of a year, you'll be happier and healthier. After all, it is the small changes that are the most realistic, instead of trying to overhaul your lifestyle all at once. 52 Small Changes addresses all areas of wellbeing, including nutrition, exercise, stress management, mental wellness, and even the health of one's home environment. By guiding readers through these changes at an easy, manageable pace, Blumenthal provides an engaging roadmap to lasting results and "happier, healthier you."'"--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible