Thirteen (Women of the Otherworld) by Kelley…

Thirteen (Women of the Otherworld) (edition 2012)

by Kelley Armstrong

336None33,281 (4.19)11
Member:red_dianthus
Title:Thirteen (Women of the Otherworld)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Dutton Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:witches, paranormal, romance, werewolves, shapeshifters, demons, angels, 2012, Canadian author

Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong

Recently added byaholsonback, private library, stalkingcat, sasklib, LindaT-S, lyrrael

A pretty satisfying ending to a series I loved. I've read other people's accusations about being fan-service-y and I agree-but I don't think that's a bad thing. I wanted to see Eve and Hope again, even if it was a little bit of a sprawling plot. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
4.5 stars

I have loved this series since I read Bitten many years ago. I don't love all the characters/narrators. I don't even love all the books. Some were much better than others. Part of that might be because of whether I like the narrator of the book. [b:Living with the Dead|2813124|Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320464731s/2813124.jpg|2492798] is probably my least favorite book of the series. Part of that is that the entire book is written in third person (unlike the rest of the series) and that it jumps point of views very frequently. The flow was not as good.

With that being said, in this book, Savannah is the narrator for most of this book. When it does change perspectives, it jumps to third person, but in this book it flowed much better. I didn't have the same issues that I had with Living with the Dead. It gave us one last chance to be with our old favorite narrators.

You get to see every major character and most of the secondary characters (though, I don't think I could tell you who is missing that is still alive, but I'm sure there is someone). Also, you get to see several characters you don't expect to see again. Jaz is one. The Cortezes use his unique talents for a mission. The other I won't mention because it is a HUGE spoiler.

As much as I'm saddened to see this series end, I think it was a very good end. Sometimes series fall flat at the end of the series. You feel like you've been building up to this huge finally, and then the end sucks and you're left unhappy. That is not the case with this. I think it ended really well. It is not perfect. There are still dangers out there, but it has a conclusion.

Also, my understanding is that there will still be some short stories from this series. I hope we get to see more from the men's perspective. I loved [b:Men of the Otherworld|3422075|Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories I)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320501705s/3422075.jpg|2860439]. It is one of my all-time favorite books. The audiobook for that is even better. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Overall I loved this book. I've come to terms with Savannah and Adam as a couple, even though I still can't really say that I like it, but what I loved was the family stuff. Savannah and Eve getting to see each other in the flesh again. The demons getting involved in the lives of their children and grandchildren. The interaction between Savannah and her brothers. And when a few characters had near misses with death, I totally bought it, although that might have at least as much to do with what GRRM makes me expect from a series with many main characters as it does with Kelley Armstrong's writing.

I do have one quibble: Hope's chaos hunger weakening because her daughter took some of her powers uncomfortably suggests a damaged woman being "fixed" by motherhood to me. However, since it was not primarily Hope's book although she does play a major role in the plot, that didn't ruin the whole thing. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Sep 20, 2013 |
And thus concludes, finally, one of the best Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance series that I have read. It's been quite a journey - from the day I first discovered "Bitten" in our remainder bins at work - bought it and began deovuring my way through the series, then eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Daydreaming about Jeremy and Lucas, or wishing to be Elena. Later in the series, my attention began to dwindle. I could not love Hope, did not really feel endeared to Savannah. Sure, she's a mature woman now - but I still remember her as the angsty brat that gave Paige so much strive.

"13" is a whirlwind of a novel. A rollercoaster. After the slow nature of the two preceeding books, it's almost like Kelley just wanted to get everything into this one. The characters barely have room to breathe - let alone eat or sleep! And she cannot let her characters go - every one of the main cast must appear in some manner - excepting Antonio and Nick, who are safely installed with the Russian pack. The body count is astronomical. There's pretty much no character development. If you'd picked up this novel without reading the previous twelve - or at least a number of them, you would either not be able to follow what was going on and/or not really care about any of the characters. It's all action-action-action. Which makes the teeny romance bits entirely not. Romantic, I mean.

Did I enjoy it? Yes - although it did lack some of the compellingness of the earlier novels. Maybe because, as I've said, I'm not a huge fan of Savannah. Most of the others I've read within a day - two at the most. This one took me five days - including my weekend. It did not feel as epic as I had expected - and I'm not sure I can really let these guys go just yet. Can't I keep one of them? Jeremy maybe? ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:
*Copy received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

I loved, loved, LOVED this book! As an Otherworld fan and groupie, it is my personal opinion that Kelley could not have ended the series any better...

All the leading characters that we've fallen in love with throughout the series were there, the action was insane, the revelations incredible, the 'closure' on some issues exactly what I would have wished for, and yet she left little tendrils to give us a few extra stories that she stated in the 'Note From the Author' would come in a few anthologies staring in 2014.

In short, it was a fabulous conclusion novel and I would highly recommend it and the entire WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD/OTHERWORLD STORIES series. If you're looking for a high-octane thrill-ride, then Thirteen is for you. And if you like your Urban Fantasy with lots of diversity, then most definitely check out THE WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD and the OTHERWORLD STORIES!

I am desperately going to miss this series, but am definitely looking forward to Kelley's tie up novellas next year! ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Jul 30, 2013 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book goes out to al the readers of the Otherworld. For those who discovered it with Bitten a decade ago, to those who just discovered it a month ago. You took a dream and you made it real. Thank you.
Typical guy.

The #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong delivers the novel her fans have been clamoring for: Thirteen, the epic finale of the Otherworld series.

It’s been more than ten years, a dozen installments, and hundreds of thousands of copies since Kelley Armstrong introduced readers to the all-too-real denizens of the Otherworld: witches, werewolves, necromancers, vampires, and half-demons, among others. And it’s all been leading to Thirteen, the final installment, the novel that brings all of these stories to a stunning conclusion.

A war is brewing -- the first battle has been waged and Savannah Levine is left standing, albeit battered and bruised. She has rescued her half brother from supernatural medical testing, but he’s fighting to stay alive. The Supernatural Liberation Movement took him hostage, and they have a maniacal plan to expose the supernatural world to the unknowing.

Savannah has called upon her inner energy to summon spells with frightening strength, a strength she never knew she had, as she fights to keep her world from shattering. But it’s more than a matter of supernaturals against one another -- both heaven and hell have entered the war; hellhounds, genetically modified werewolves, and all forces of good and evil have joined the fray.

Uniting Savannah with Adam, Paige, Lucas, Jaime, Hope, and other lost-but-notforgotten characters in one epic battle, Thirteen is a grand, crowd-pleasing closer for Armstrong’s legions of fans.

Savannah Levine emerges from the rescue of her half-brother and summons formidable powers to halt a supernatural war that is being complicated by the forces of heaven and hell.

376 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible