A Deeper Darkness (Samantha Owens, Book 1)…

A Deeper Darkness (Samantha Owens, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by J.T. Ellison

Member:Bumpersmom
Title:A Deeper Darkness (Samantha Owens, Book 1)
Authors:J.T. Ellison
Info:Mira (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Donated/Gave Away

A Deeper Darkness (Samantha Owens, Book 1) by J. T. Ellison

Book Description As a medical examiner, Samantha Owens knows her job is to make a certain sense of death with crisp methodology and precision instruments. But the day the Tennessee floods took her husband and children, the light vanished from Sam's life. She has been pulled into a suffocating grief no amount of workaholic ardor can penetrate—until she receives a peculiar call from Washington, D.C. On the other end of the line is an old boyfriend's mother, asking Sam to do a second autopsy on her son. Eddie Donovan is officially the victim of a vicious carjacking, but under Sam's sharp eye the forensics tell a darker story. The ex-Ranger was murdered, though not for his car. Forced to confront the burning memories and feelings about yet another loved one killed brutally, Sam loses herself in the mystery contained within Donovan's old notes. It leads her to the untouchable Xander, a soldier off-grid since his return from Afghanistan, and then to a series of brutal crimes stretching from that harsh mountainous war zone to this nation's capital. The tale told between the lines makes it clear that nobody's hands are clean, and that making sense of murder sometimes means putting yourself in the crosshairs of death.

My Review This book has it all - romance, mystery, and a forensic medical examiner who is smart and sexy. Samantha Owens is called by the mother of her ex-boyfriend to help solve his murder. This book kept me turning the pages as I was eager to find out what happened to Eddie Donovan to make someone want him dead. It has a cast of interesting characters and an intriguing plot that keeps you twisting, turning and guessing until the very end. This was my 2nd Ellison book and I look forward to reading the next book in this series as I find her a very talented writer. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys mystery thrillers with a bit of romance. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a great novel! It is the first J.T. Ellison that I have read, and my introduction to Dr. Samantha Owens. I was hooked from the start because of my curiosity - what happened to Sam's family, what happened to Donovan, when are they going to figure out that the little girl saw the killing, what happens to Susan (Donovan's wife)? I liked that different chapters were from different characters' perspectives. I did have a hint of who the killer might be, but I did not expect the reasons for the killings. I enjoyed learning about Sam's first love, Eddie Donovan who became a brilliant leader as a Ranger in the military, and about the men in his unit who became his friends. I also enjoyed the inter-play with Eleanor (Eddie's mother), Sam, and Susan. I am looking forward to another Samantha Owen's story. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 29, 2016 |
I love stories with a twist at the end!! Debated about three or four stars. Still on the edge. ( )
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
“Fresh Meat” by Laura K. Curtis for Criminal Element

Ellison fans (like me) are used to her police procedural thrillers featuring Taylor Jackson. But while I enjoy Taylor, I was glad to see that Ellison was branching out into a new series as well. Samantha Owens is a medical examiner in Nashville, but she takes a leave to do a personal favor . . . going to Washington, DC, to do a secondary autopsy in the murder case of her former lover, Eddie, at the request of his mother, Eleanor.

But although Sam performs the secondary autopsy, this isn’t strictly a forensics book. Sam is out of her element, more an amateur sleuth than an ME. And she is constantly at the mercy of tangled emotions, for not only is she investigating the death of her former lover and dealing with his mother, his wife and his children, she is still mourning the loss of her own husband and children who were taken from her in the Nashville floods.

It is the emotional impact of the book, rather than its mystery, that really keeps the reader engaged. (Oh, the mystery’s there, too, but for me it was definitely secondary.)

Read the rest at: http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/04/fresh-meat-a-deeper-darkness-by-j-t...
1 vote CrimeHQ | May 14, 2013 |

As a medical examiner, Samantha Owen's job is to make a certain sense of death with crisp methodology. But the day the Tennessee floods took her husband and children, the light vanished from her life. She's pulled into a suffocating grief until she receives a peculiar call from Washington D.C. On the end of the line is an old boyfriend's mother, asking Sam to do a second autopsy on her son. Eddie Donovan is officially the victim of a vicious carjacking, but the forensics tell a darker story.… (more)

24 wanted4 pay10 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,628,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible