Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

Cast in Shadow (edition 2006)

by Michelle Sagara (Author)

Member:Maaike15274
Title:Cast in Shadow
Authors:Michelle Sagara (Author)
Info:Luna Books
Collections:Your library, Gelezen (van Mijn boeken)
Rating:***1/2

Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (blucatgirl)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (leahsimone)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (Morgester)
    Morgester: Strong characterization, compelling story.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (leahsimone)
    Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti (questionablepotato, reconditereader)
    reconditereader: High-flying, strong female protagonists uncovering mysteries in a city full of very complex relations among castes and types of people.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (MyriadBooks, reconditereader)
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (leahsimone)

I ended up reading this whole series in one ...well, weeks-long sitting. I had book two sitting on my to-read shelf at home, and just decided to dive right in. Little did I know it wouldn't let me up for breath.

I really enjoyed this. I enjoyed the fact that the books are set one right after the other, not with several months in between. I enjoyed the fact that Kaylin just couldn't seem to catch a break, and that even though she had GREAT COSMIC POWERS they were still greatly flawed. She's stubborn, hard-headed, temperamental and insecure. And I enjoyed the fact that Kaylin seems to have to confront her prejudices and insecurities and fold them into herself, and that even after she learns better she's not entirely "fixed."

Anyway. Cool. ( )
  lyrrael | May 19, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. Sagara has created a really unusual world, with a lot of back story and a lot going on, and done it without one single info-dump! If you read as much alternate world stuff as I do, you realize that this is really unusual, and high praise indeed.

It's the characters that really make this book work. Kayla is more of less a cop, and she has a history. She is put in a situation where she is facing down monsters, of what shape isn't clear, to her or to the reader. But she doesn't give up.

I liked the fact that she has skills, and she has allies. She's not dumb enough to try to do everything on her own, but she's willing to put herself out there for other people (of whatever species) and they reciprocate. She's not super smart, and not everyone likes her. She's not beautiful, and doesn't use sex to lure in the bad guys. She's funny, and faces consequences, and cares. She's a girl well worth spending time with.

The writing is good, although the big confrontation at the end wasn't. This is a book that has been all about show, not tell. In that scene, it all fell apart. I got what Sagara was trying to do, but it wasn't done well. On the other hand, the dialogue is excellent. She is able to do whole pages without tags, simply because each character has such a clearly distinct voice that they aren't needed.

I will definitely be following this series. ( )
  teckelvik | Mar 15, 2014 |
Awesome book! Can't wait to read more! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I have looked at this book I do not know how many times before I actually caved in and purchased it. My main resistance was the fact that it is published by Luna - a Harlequin publishing company. Didn't want to read a romance. I decided to read it based on the reviews. I am glad I did - it does, in no way that I could see, fill the "Harelequin" mold.

As usual, I had a bit of trouble getting into this book. I honestly cannot remember at what point it became a book I was unable to put down. Kaylin is a very passionate and feisty heroine. The mystery as to who she is and what makes her so kept me glued to the story. Unlike other stories where I just wanted to know the answer to the mystery, I really enjoyed the ride as it unfolded. After finishing the book, I still have unanswered questions - not the kind that make me angry in the "Why didn't the author address this?" way but the kind that go "I can't wait to read the next book to see what direction these questions take me" way.

I could not decide if I was angry or fascinated by the way the answer to Kaylin's relationship with Severn was revealed. I will say that it came as a complete surprise and I did not see it coming. Even a tiny bit.

I adored the different races in this book - and the characterizations that came with each. I will admit to picturing the Leotines a bit like the cowardly lion in The Wizard of Oz. And, who among us hasn't dreamed of having wings and the ability to fly?

The humor in this book is very subtle. In some (very few) instances I actually laughed out loud. Kaylin reacts to stress the way that I do: by making really bad jokes that cause those around her to question her sanity. Not a lot of romance here - but I can see it developing in future installments.

Indeed, I am annoyed that I have finished this. Now, I have to "get into" another novel. ( )
  SnowNSew | Oct 2, 2013 |
What I liked about it:
I picked up this one on Fictionwise, since I had wanted to read it for a long time. I am glad I bought it. It is a fast paced read, that at times feels like it is an Urban Fantasy. It hooked me from the start. From the opening scene, with Kaylin being awakened by the mirror . If the day started bad, it gets worse when she is told that she has to go back to Nightshade, the fief she grew up in To make things worse, she has two partners that she cannot quite trust. ( I loved that Kaylin makes no secret about the fact she would love to kill Severn.) But then Kaylin is courageous, sometimes bordering on reckless. She faces Lord Nightshade several times, alone. ( Lord Nightshade gave me goosebumps.) She faces her own memories again, albeit reluctantly. Kaylin is loyal, and would do anything for a child. And that is what really puts her in trouble.
Through the book, it feel as if everyone knows more about the reasons, and about the probable source about Kaylin’s power. This causes a layer of suspense that gives the book another layer.
What I didn’t like about it:
What kicked this down from A to B- , was that Kaylin failed all classes, except Barrani. Despite this, she was allowed to become a hawk. Yes, I know it is fantasy but there should be some classes that are required to pass.
Summary:
A fast paced fantasy, with a tone of Urban Fantasy. Will I pick up the next book? Probably.
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
This is for Chris Szego, who read it first, and gave me exactly the encouragement I needed at exactly the right time
Black circles under the eyes were not, Kaylin decided, a very attractive statement.

Seven years ago, Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered— and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin….

Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and the immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers—powers that no other human has. Her task is simple—find the killer, stop the murders… and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802544, Mass Market Paperback)

Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered -- and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin.…

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers -- powers that no other human has. Her task is simple -- find the killer, stop the murders…and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

Kaylin, a Hawk who patrols and polices the City of Elantra, must face her greatest fear when children become the prey of a serial killer, forcing her to return to Nightshade, where she must team up with a powerful Dragon lord she knows she cannot trust.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible