Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

Cast in Shadow (edition 2006)

by Michelle Sagara

Member:Maaike15274
Title:Cast in Shadow
Authors:Michelle Sagara (Author)
Info:Luna Books
Collections:Your library, Gelezen (van Mijn boeken)
Rating:***1/2

Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (blucatgirl)
    The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (leahsimone)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (leahsimone)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (Morgester)
    Morgester: Strong characterization, compelling story.
    Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti (questionablepotato, reconditereader)
    reconditereader: High-flying, strong female protagonists uncovering mysteries in a city full of very complex relations among castes and types of people.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (MyriadBooks, reconditereader)
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (leahsimone)

3.5 I loved the plot, really wanted to know more of several characters. I really enjoyed the parts of the book I read when I knew who was talking. That was the major problem, I did not know who was talking or what they were talking about more than a few times. I found myself just skimming through the muddle to get to an understandable section. I compare the premise and plot to one of my favorite series The Tarien Soul series-but the author lost me, for many pages and it did not seem to hurt the story ? I needed more direction on who said what, clarity of voice. I have never been so lost while reading a book, so much muddle.. I will read the next book, to see if this improves. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Cast in Shadow is set mainly in the City of Elantra, which is governed by an Emperor Dragon and occupied by citizens of various species (races?): humans, the winged Aerians, dragons, Leontines, and the immortal Barrani.

Kaylin Neya, the troubled, heroine is marked by mysterious symbols--sigils and curves. She fled the fiefs when she was young when a terrible event occured in the fiefs; children bearing the type of markings she bears were being slaughtered.

Years later, it is up to Kaylin, who is a member of the Hawks of the Houses of Law, who police the city, along with others, including a dragon and a man from her past, to stop the slaughter of children, which is once again occurring.

Kaylin has a power that she does not understand and cannot herself control. Will her power lead them to finding those responsible for the slaughter of innocent children, or will it destroy her and others along the way?

Cast in Shadows is Michelle Sagaras' first book in The Chronicles of Elantra series. It's a fascinating tale that keeps you guessing at every turn. It's fast paced, and everyone has their secrets, so the intrigue is well-layered throughout the text. I really appreciate books that keep the reader guessing and keep the suspense built until the end.

Sagara does an excellent job at world building. She has a good eye for including little details that make the fantasy world she has built seem complete and real. She also does a great job of creating a flawed heroine, with some annoying traits, but those annoying traits make Kaylin seem believable.

I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  slpwhitehead | Jan 17, 2016 |

slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
I ended up reading this whole series in one ...well, weeks-long sitting. I had book two sitting on my to-read shelf at home, and just decided to dive right in. Little did I know it wouldn't let me up for breath.

I really enjoyed this. I enjoyed the fact that the books are set one right after the other, not with several months in between. I enjoyed the fact that Kaylin just couldn't seem to catch a break, and that even though she had GREAT COSMIC POWERS they were still greatly flawed. She's stubborn, hard-headed, temperamental and insecure. And I enjoyed the fact that Kaylin seems to have to confront her prejudices and insecurities and fold them into herself, and that even after she learns better she's not entirely "fixed."

Anyway. Cool. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
I was first brought to this world, through a short story Cast in Moonlight, in the short story collection Harvest Moon. That short story really drew me into the world of Elantra and I always had it on the back burner to continue the series. Now finally I have, but while it was an interesting read, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

The story was interesting, as was the fantasy world the author created. There were a lot of interesting and complex elements to it. A variety of races and people that fill the fantasy land of Elantra, but so little is explained to the reader. I had the same issue with the short story, but I figured that was because, it was because it was a short story that takes place after the other information was already established. While element of mystery worked for some parts of the story, the author slowing revealing as the story goes on, other aspects needed some kind of explanation. I constantly had the feeling I was missing a big chunk of the story, the important background information wasn't there - and little of it was ever revealed.

I also found that while I enjoyed the story in the beginning, by the end I was glad it ended. The deeper into the story I got the more complex it got, which was a good thing, except the complete lack of exploring and fully showing the reader what was going on. While I liked how we, the reader go on the journey with Kaylin, and discover certain things along with her, there were multiple cases that needed more, to help push the story forward.

While the book itself was very original, there's a lot I'd like to know more about in it, and that alone kept me reading. The fantasy world the author created sounds wonderful, but because there were so many pieces left unsaid, it's hard to carry on with the series. And at this time, I'm unsure if I'll do that.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Cast in Shadow ( )
  bookwormjules | Apr 6, 2015 |

Michelle Sagaraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Chris Szego, who read it first, and gave me exactly the encouragement I needed at exactly the right time
Black circles under the eyes were not, Kaylin decided, a very attractive statement.

Seven years ago, Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered— and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin….

Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and the immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers—powers that no other human has. Her task is simple—find the killer, stop the murders… and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802544, Mass Market Paperback)

Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered -- and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin.…

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers -- powers that no other human has. Her task is simple -- find the killer, stop the murders…and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

Kaylin, a Hawk who patrols and polices the City of Elantra, must face her greatest fear when children become the prey of a serial killer, forcing her to return to Nightshade, where she must team up with a powerful Dragon lord she knows she cannot trust.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible