Spaghetti And Meatballs For All! (Scholastic…

Spaghetti And Meatballs For All! (Scholastic Bookshelf: Math Skills)

by Marilyn Burns

At the beginning of this book, I thought that it has a cute storyline and I was interested in the plot. As the book continued, I started to get more and more confused. At a family reunion, family members start arriving and rearranging the tables in the hopes of being able to sit by each other. Mrs. Comfort, the hostess, tries to explain to her guests that if they continue to push tables together, it will not leave enough seats for the other guests. As more and more people arrive, the guests continue to change the seating arrangements. At the end, the tables and chairs are put back the way they were originally set up in order to fit all 32 family members and friends. I think that this was a good idea to explain to children perimeter and possibly other mathematics, but it was lost, for me, in the confusion of trying to picture each new arrangement. I think it would have been very beneficial if on each page the new arrangement could have been drawn on the side. Because I got lost in the text, I'm not sure if I would use this in my classroom. I could possibly use it as a teaching opportunity and ask the students to go on the board and try and draw the different arrangements. ( )
  rmwinter | Apr 20, 2017 |
Spaghetti and Meatballs for All is a modern fiction book about using math to problem solve. I did not enjoy this book. I found it confusing. The wording was jumbled and poorly written. A sentence such as ""Well, look who's here," said Mrs. Comfort's brother's daughter's husband. " Sentences such as these were common in this book. This book was a mathematical story that illustrated using math to problem solve. However, the confusing components in the writing distracted from the mathematical side of it. The big idea of this book was to demonstrate that math is an aspects used everywhere in life, but it was poorly showcased.
  jessclark | Sep 18, 2016 |
When Mrs. Comfort's guests rearrange all of her carefully placed tables and chairs, dinnertime at the family reunion becomes a complete mess, in a playful introduction to the concepts of area and perimeter.
Mr. and Mrs. Comfort decide to invite their family and neighbors over for dinner. Pretty soon, 30 people have accepted so they will be feeding 32, including themselves. In a role reversal from the sexual stereotypes, Mr. Comfort is the cook and impractical one while Mrs. Comfort is the left-brained problem solver. She knows what needs to be done, but everyone else has to work it out for themselves by moving the furniture around.
  wichitafriendsschool | May 8, 2016 |
Mr. and Mrs. Comfort are having a family reunion. There are 32 people attending, so Mrs. Comfort arranges eight tables with four chairs at each one. Mrs. Comfort thinks that her arrangement is perfect, until everyone comes and adjusts the seating to their own liking! This story is extremely entertaining and the illustrations are wonderful. I love how the story covers area and perimeter in such a fun way. At the end of the book, the author has an "About the Mathematics" page. On this page, the author has figures that show different ways you can arrange the 8 tables for 32 people. Also, the author has ideas of what a parent or teacher can do to help extend children's learning after reading this book. Overall, I truly enjoyed this book and it incorporates math wonderfully! If I teach a grade level that applies to this content, I will definitely be sure to read this book with my students. ( )
  hjaber | Apr 19, 2016 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. First, I liked the author’s use of the various characters. They were all very realistic, and they behaved like a “regular” family. At the huge family dinner, with all 32 relatives, they were all talking at once, having various side conversations, and almost everyone speaking over each other. Also, there were a few characters that never let anyone else get a word in, and they insisted on being correct all the time. Not only is that behavior to be expected at any large family gathering, but it was also comical. Another thing I enjoyed about this book, was the concept behind it. This story was a mathematical story, but in a discrete way. At the end of the book, the reader realizes that the way some of the relatives were moving the tables together was not working because every time they connected two tables together, they lost two potential seats. There were 32 relatives in attendance, therefore 8 individual (not pushed together) tables of four was the solution to the seating problem. I have never read a book that was a “mathematical story” and I thought it was very interesting that this book had a plot, but still taught a math concept. The main message of the story is to always think things through before you do it, so that you don’t have to start over from nothing when you realized you’ve made a mistake.
  Abeckl1 | Nov 3, 2015 |

Kids will exercise their early math skills with this bestselling picture book--now available in Scholastic Bookshelf!

Mr. and Mrs. Comfort are having a family reunion! Mr. Comfort starts cooking up his famous spaghetti and meatballs, while Mrs. Comfort carefully arranges eight tables and thirty-two chairs so that everyone will have a seat. The tables look lovely, the food is ready, and here come the guests--with their own seating plans!
This delightful Marilyn Burns Brainy Day Book uses wit and humor to draw children into thinking about area and perimeter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

The seating for a family reunion gets complicated as people rearrange the tables and chairs to seat additional guests.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible