Spaghetti And Meatballs For All! (Scholastic…

Spaghetti And Meatballs For All! (Scholastic Bookshelf: Math Skills)

by Marilyn Burns

Mr. and Mrs. Comfoort are having a family reunion. Mrs. Comfoort made a plan for the seat. However, the guests with their own seating plans. It is a lovely story. we may found that family is the only lovely thing in our life. ( )
  WuKundi | Jan 22, 2018 |
Spaghetti and Meatballs for All was a super funny story that incorporates math into literature! The Comforts invite many family members to a family reunion, and Mrs. Comfort stresses about being able to feed and seat every one at the reunion. The story uses fractions to show exactly how the tables can be divided to fit everyone. The only aspect of the story that I found odd was the fact that there were not a lot of number in the story. The story just followed Mrs. Comfort dividing tables into different parts in order to fit all of her guests. I assumed that the story would include more numbers and possibly even some math problems for its readers. I really did enjoy this story, though. It made learning about math super funny and enjoyable! ( )
  bbabb | Dec 7, 2017 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Summary: Mr. and Mrs. Comfort decide to have a family gathering of 32, and they decide to have spaghetti, meatballs, salad, and garlic bread. The difficult task Mrs. Comfort is faced with is figuring out seating for everyone. Eventually she figures it out, but soon after her plan begins to get messed up and she gets stressed out. In the end though all of her guests realize that the way Mrs. Comfort had the tables and chairs set-up originally was the only way everyone could have a seat.

Review: This is a great realistic fiction book because setting up a seating chart and figuring out how to fit everyone in a space is a real issue. The context in which the setting-up had to take place (for a dinner) is also very relatable for young students through events such as birthday parties or Christmas dinners. The book also ties in the concept of area and perimeter in a easy to understand way, and therefore can be used as a great tool for math.
  ebrink15 | Oct 17, 2017 |
At the beginning of this book, I thought that it has a cute storyline and I was interested in the plot. As the book continued, I started to get more and more confused. At a family reunion, family members start arriving and rearranging the tables in the hopes of being able to sit by each other. Mrs. Comfort, the hostess, tries to explain to her guests that if they continue to push tables together, it will not leave enough seats for the other guests. As more and more people arrive, the guests continue to change the seating arrangements. At the end, the tables and chairs are put back the way they were originally set up in order to fit all 32 family members and friends. I think that this was a good idea to explain to children perimeter and possibly other mathematics, but it was lost, for me, in the confusion of trying to picture each new arrangement. I think it would have been very beneficial if on each page the new arrangement could have been drawn on the side. Because I got lost in the text, I'm not sure if I would use this in my classroom. I could possibly use it as a teaching opportunity and ask the students to go on the board and try and draw the different arrangements. ( )
  rmwinter | Apr 20, 2017 |
Spaghetti and Meatballs for All is a modern fiction book about using math to problem solve. I did not enjoy this book. I found it confusing. The wording was jumbled and poorly written. A sentence such as ""Well, look who's here," said Mrs. Comfort's brother's daughter's husband. " Sentences such as these were common in this book. This book was a mathematical story that illustrated using math to problem solve. However, the confusing components in the writing distracted from the mathematical side of it. The big idea of this book was to demonstrate that math is an aspects used everywhere in life, but it was poorly showcased.
  jessclark | Sep 18, 2016 |

Kids will exercise their early math skills with this bestselling picture book--now available in Scholastic Bookshelf!

Mr. and Mrs. Comfort are having a family reunion! Mr. Comfort starts cooking up his famous spaghetti and meatballs, while Mrs. Comfort carefully arranges eight tables and thirty-two chairs so that everyone will have a seat. The tables look lovely, the food is ready, and here come the guests--with their own seating plans!
This delightful Marilyn Burns Brainy Day Book uses wit and humor to draw children into thinking about area and perimeter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

The seating for a family reunion gets complicated as people rearrange the tables and chairs to seat additional guests.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible