Devil's Bargain (Silhouette Intrigue…

Devil's Bargain (Silhouette Intrigue S.) (edition 2007)

by Rachel Caine

2081356,261 (3.72)14
Member:BookWormRflects
Title:Devil's Bargain (Silhouette Intrigue S.)
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:Silhouette Books (2007), Paperback
Rating:*****

Devil's Bargain by Rachel Caine

Pretty good. An older novel first published in the UK. See my full review at puretextuality.com

3.75 Stars ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Jazz is an ex-police officer whose life was well and truly derailed by her partner being arrested – and convicted – for murder. Quitting her job and leaving some hostile officers behind who would love to lock her away as well, she is determined to have him proven innocent and validate herself, her judge of character and the trust she placed in him. And silent that nagging doubt at the back of her own mind.

Then there comes an offer that seems more than too good to be true. Funding and guaranteed cases to set up a PI firm – something she had tried to do but failed to get the financing for. And there’s only one catch – she needs to work with a partner, Lucia Garza, ex-FBI agent who is looking for a challenge and a less structured work place.

They’re both duly wary but they quickly work well together and even if it is too good to be true, who turns down such an offer? Even if there are guys who seem to be willing to fight – and even kill them – since the offer arrived.

But, in between their other cases, they complete their benefactors cases. Cases which seem both trivial and bemusing. It’s only when these seemingly benign cases are connected to a murder; revealing a much larger and more bizarre reason for their recruitment.

For a long time I thought I’d made a mistake with this book. I thought “Devil’s Bargain” was entirely metaphorical and there was no supernatural elements at all. I thought I’d actually picked up a standard mystery without any magic, vampires, angels or even a slightly confused Christmas elf.

And I was fine with that.

Which is saying a lot for me. Unrepentant geek that I am, I have little time or interest in books which don’t contain some element of the fantastic. Aliens, vampires or elves, it has to have something non-mundane to keep me interested. But this book I was quite happy to keep on reading without the supernatural.

The main reason for that was probably the characters. I loved Jazz and I loved how she and Lucia bounce off each other. They did fit together perfectly – and yes, it was a little freaky how quickly and amazingly they gelled (but explained within the book) – but they did gel so well. They’re funny, they’re witty, their skills go together – and even with Lucia having so many qualifications, Jazz still fits in with useful skills and additions, she isn’t the junior partner. We don’t face a classic situation of the cool, competent one and the spunky, inept yet plucky and lucky one. They’re both competent, both capable, both extremely good at their job and both bring unique elements to the partnership. I even love how she bounces off Pansy, and she only has a bit role. In fact, this is what makes the book for me – all the characters, even Manny and Pansy who are in such minor roles, are such great characters in their own right.

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
headless woman cover
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
*I received a free ARC of this book from Harlequin UK via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

This book is genius! Jazz and Lucia are two strong, honest women who are very good at what they do.

This and other reviews can also be found at (un)Conventional Bookviews.

Devil’s Bargain isn’t what it seems when you only read the title. But it does have a great story with a mystery and some things that are difficult to explain. Two strong women are the main characters, and this made Devil’s Bargain even more enjoyable.

Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Book Blog For: GMTA
Series #1
Rating: 4

Review:

"Devil's Bargain" by Rachel Caine was the first in this series of the Red Letter Days and had some paranormal, mystery and thriller ...all in this urban adult read. This novel will have some supernatural going on and full of action. I thought that the plot was somewhat complex then with a mix of the urban paranormal which became interesting by the 'Cross Society' the idea of the Leads and Actors that was explained toward the end of the read. Now, to really see what is going on you must pick up "Devil's Bargain" to see where, how, why and what of it all by this author.

"The catch to this story is that Jazz has to become partners with a woman she doesn’t know and go on investigations for a mysterious company, no questions asked."

The characters were all intriguing...Jazz, Lucia, James, Ben, Manny, and Pansy were are likable in some form or another and very realistic. Was their a blossoming romance between James and Jazz? That remained somewhat strange to me but it did clear up somewhat as I continued with the read. I found this read somewhat strange at times but since this is a series I am sure it will catch up especially with that cliffhanger ending.

If you are in for a paranormal, mystery thrillers, with detectives and a female lead you have come to the right place for "Devil's Bargain" would be recommended to you as a good read. ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 22, 2013 |
Sol's Tavern was a place for serious drinkers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373513674, Mass Market Paperback)

Jasmine "Jazz" Callender is on the downhill slide to ruin. Once a decorated homicide detective, she's lost it all: her former partner's been convicted of murder, she's been cashiered out, and she's drinking away what little self-respect she's got left. But Jazz has a talent for trouble, and somebody knows it. When a mysterious, sexy stranger comes looking for her with a fateful red envelope in his hand, she's about to make the deal of her life...for good or bad.

The deal requires her to enter into a partnership with a stranger and investigate cases that arrive in special red envelopes...which is odd enough, but gets weirder as she and her new partner Lucia realize that they may be working for someone with supernatural abilities.

And maybe they're not on the side of the angels anymore.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:33 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible