Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 by Alan…

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 (edition 2012)

by Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette (Illustrator), John Totleben (Illustrator)

Member:MarcusH
Title:Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:Stephen Bissette (Illustrator), John Totleben (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2012), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Graphic Novels
Rating:****1/2

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 by Alan Moore

This collection contains the first issues of Alan Moore's run as a writer for the environmentally conscious comic book series about humanoid/plant creature Swamp Thing. I love Moore's idea of what the relationship between Alec Holland and Swamp Thing is and I love even more how he took a regular comic seriously and gave his all to give it a proper storyline and characters without sliding into too many of the regular comic book clichés. This was one of my favorite comic books when I was younger and I can happily announce that it stands all the tests of time in the world. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 26, 2014 |
I have read a few comics book growing up, some for class, some for fun, but none have really been like this one. The Saga of the swamp thing is a comic about how a lab accident gone wrong has caused a man to become a swamp monster, his body has become weeds, but his soul still lives in the weeds. This book takes many different routes, the Swamp monster battles two arch rivals and flirts with the love of his life. I love twists and turns in books with suspense and this comic has it all. The book does a great job developing the characters. The Swamp thing is introduced and then the other characters show you what has happened to him and explain it to the reader so we know what has happened and who he is. The art throughout the book is also outstanding, the pictures really bring the story alive and show how each character looks along with emotions they experience during certain events. I think that anyone who is interested in in comics and a good read would be very interested in this book. The only critique I have of this book is that sometimes with the comic strips and pictures the reader can get lost. Words will sometimes be at the top and bottom of the page and it can be confusing where to go from one scene to another to keep reading in the story. Overall I feel this is a pretty good story, I have revitalized my interest in comics books and may read another. Any comic book lover is sure to love this read.

Chad P. ( )
  FolkeB | Mar 13, 2013 |
I'd say this is more good than great. However, it's very interesting to see what a young Alan Moore does with what is, in my opinion, a "hero" that is very limited in its scope and powers in comic book terms. Moore definitely came up with an original idea about what makes the Swamp Thing tick and the story arc in this book definitely makes you want to pick up the next book to see what happens, as things larger than what grows and lives in a swamp are introduced.

There is definitely more of a horror-tinted flavor to the storyline than your normal super hero comic, but then, Swamp Thing isn't your typical super hero. Kudos to Moore for being able to dredge up what is, at least, an interesting story that does propel itself forward.

For all the compliments laid out for the main artst, Stephen Bisette, I found it a bit lacking, especially in comparison to some of the work that is out there today. That being said, it's got to be difficult to draw a big, hulking humanoid mass of moss. It's also worth noting that, even though this a hardbound edition, the interior pages are that of old time comic stock. Some people will love this and I did appreciate this touch. ( )
  kawika | Sep 26, 2011 |

This book interested me as early work by the creator of Watchmen which, like Neil Gaiman’s Sandman, won my engagement by sheer brilliance. I'm not a horror fan, and didn’t feel compelled to read on. ( )
  shawjonathan | Sep 12, 2010 |
Still terrifying 20+ years after these stories were first published. ( )
  johnplatt | Mar 24, 2010 |
This work contains the newer editions of the first volume of Alan Moore's run (#20-27). Earlier editions start with #21 and are currently a seperate work.

"Created by a freak accident, the Swamp Thing is an elemental creature who uses the forces of nature and wisdom of the plant kingdom to rail against a polluted world's self-destruction"--Amazon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible