Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 by Alan…

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 (edition 2012)

by Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette (Illustrator), John Totleben (Illustrator)

Title:Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:Stephen Bissette (Illustrator), John Totleben (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2012), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Graphic Novels

Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1 by Alan Moore

Finally, an edition that includes the 'missing' Alan Moore episode, where he ties up loose ends at the beginning of his tenure. To those of us who were following the series at the time, the reinvention of Swamp Thing was hugely clever; Alan Moore meant business right from the off. It's still an amazing run by today's standards, and the stories and artwork are genuinely scary. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Jun 15, 2015 |
Some comics had been credited with changing the industry. Alan Moore's run of "Saga of the Swamp Thing" is one those comics and even though I had read a lot of the storylines, I never read the whole run in a row. So... time to do that.

Early reprints of the run always skipped issue 20 - it is the first issue for Moore but technically the story starts in issue 21 - issue 20 is wrapping up the stories from the previous 19 and positioning the players in their place for the start of the story. And this is what makes it important - it introduces the main characters, provides enough background for the new readers (I've never read the first 19 issues and could pick up the threads immediately) and sets in motion some actions that allow the actual story to begin.

This copy of the book contains 8 issues (20-27) which are split into 3 parts

1. The setting in issue 20. In a way it can be considered the start of the story the follows but it still feels different. It is a wrap up issue, clearing the scene for what is coming

2. Issues 21-24 - the first arc of the saga. As expected it is an origin story - but not just of the physical form that is the Swamp Thing but also if his acceptance and understanding of what he is and what he can do. Add to this that the Swamp Thing succeeds where the Justice League fails and it is a magnificent origin story.

3. Issues 25-27 - Reading this story more than 30 years after it was originally written, I loved meeting Etrigan. He had been showing in the DC universe lately and is easily recognizable if someone is reading the current titles. I am not sure if that would have been the case when it was initially published and maybe I managed to spoil myself knowing who he is - but it does not make the story less. It plays on people's fear and on what anyone does when they are afraid.

While the first story villain is an old "friend" of the Justice League, in the second story the villain is a lot more subdued - and more lethal. It is not about madness - the darkness and the horror are part of life.

It's a great start of a series and I can see why pretty much everyone likes it. It is a premise that should not have worked so well - a man-plant is not really a superhero you can use for a lot of things. But somehow it works out. But the book is still dark and relies on horror - so if someone does not like the genre, the book can be a little too much. ( )
  AnnieMod | Jan 15, 2015 |
I have read multiple times how Alan Moore brought respectability and serious topics to the comic world... and this collection is a very concrete proof of that. Such unalluring character as the Swamp Thing becomes surprisingly interesting questioning his own humanity. Page layouts, drawing and storytelling are top-level. ( )
  ivan.frade | Oct 14, 2014 |
This collection contains the first issues of Alan Moore's run as a writer for the environmentally conscious comic book series about humanoid/plant creature Swamp Thing. I love Moore's idea of what the relationship between Alec Holland and Swamp Thing is and I love even more how he took a regular comic seriously and gave his all to give it a proper storyline and characters without sliding into too many of the regular comic book clichés. This was one of my favorite comic books when I was younger and I can happily announce that it stands all the tests of time in the world. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 26, 2014 |
I have read a few comics book growing up, some for class, some for fun, but none have really been like this one. The Saga of the swamp thing is a comic about how a lab accident gone wrong has caused a man to become a swamp monster, his body has become weeds, but his soul still lives in the weeds. This book takes many different routes, the Swamp monster battles two arch rivals and flirts with the love of his life. I love twists and turns in books with suspense and this comic has it all. The book does a great job developing the characters. The Swamp thing is introduced and then the other characters show you what has happened to him and explain it to the reader so we know what has happened and who he is. The art throughout the book is also outstanding, the pictures really bring the story alive and show how each character looks along with emotions they experience during certain events. I think that anyone who is interested in in comics and a good read would be very interested in this book. The only critique I have of this book is that sometimes with the comic strips and pictures the reader can get lost. Words will sometimes be at the top and bottom of the page and it can be confusing where to go from one scene to another to keep reading in the story. Overall I feel this is a pretty good story, I have revitalized my interest in comics books and may read another. Any comic book lover is sure to love this read.

Chad P. ( )
  FolkeB | Mar 13, 2013 |
This work contains the newer editions of the first volume of Alan Moore's run (#20-27). Earlier editions start with #21 and are currently a seperate work.

"Created by a freak accident, the Swamp Thing is an elemental creature who uses the forces of nature and wisdom of the plant kingdom to rail against a polluted world's self-destruction"--Amazon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible