Dhampir (Noble Dead) by Barb Hendee

Dhampir (Noble Dead) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Barb Hendee

Member:readingdate
Title:Dhampir (Noble Dead)
Authors:Barb Hendee
Info:Roc (2003), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:to-read

Dhampir by Barb Hendee (Author) (2003)

Recently added byEthaisa, private library, LitaVore, jimpike69, mgd014, BookHavenAZ, Knittingmoose, benandhil
    Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs (Nikkles)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (annekaelber)
    annekaelber: This series, while set in modern Chicago, has vampires, witches, werewolves and so much more. I love this series and hope you do as well.
    Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi (MyriadBooks)
    Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly (wolfjack)

Decent enough fast read, with pretty good characters, except the main characters companion and dog are unfortunately a lot more likeable and fleshed out than the main character herself. Even the enemies feel a little more rounded. But this was clearly a series opener, so filling in all the back story is like expecting to learn everything from a tv pilot, and I admit I didn't see the final page twist coming, so I'll definitely read the next one in the series at least.

krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Ignore the back of the book. And the tagline on the cover. And the title of the book, if possible. They will give you entirely the wrong impression. Let me try again.

Magiere doesn't know what she is. (Necessary because of the title of the book.) She's been traveling for years with her half-elf partner Leesil, rescuing superstitious villages from the monsters lurking in the night, and now she's ready to find a home and settle down. But their newfound peace will not last. (Part of this shamelessly stolen from the back of the book.) Magiere has come to the attention of a trio of powerful and dangerous vampires, and their machinations will force her and her partner to recall their events from their pasts, events that might be better off forgotten...

There, that's fairly good. I loved the book. A good, rollicking story about vampires and hunters and people trying to make a life. Definitely a pageturner. I liked that it reinvents no complex mythology, just sticks to what we all know and love about vampires already. It shows you can write a good story without having to create tons of background. ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |
Unforgettable; one of the fantasy series that has become a personal yardstick for measuring others by. Actually hesitated to get into series based on excerpts and plot descriptions friends were giving me; first couple of pages did not reassure me and then *bam* book took off and then the rest of series was bated-breath, nonstop engrossingly good. Hard to come up with words to paint a real picture for you. Leesil and Mag characters stay with you and years later you still want more.

Started pre- ereader days and was one of few series/authors I bought in hardcover as soon as I could get my hot little hands on; no waiting for it to show up used and cheaper. ( )

Hendee, BarbAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hendee, J.C.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
KoveckCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jaclyn, our little starving artist raised by two starving artists
The village appeared deserted but for thin trails of smoke escaping clay chimneys to drift up and dissolve in the darkness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459067, Mass Market Paperback)

She hunts the realm’s most dangerous game.

Her fees are exorbitant.

She’s worth every coin she receives.

Or is she?

Magiere has earned a reputation as the most formidable vampire slayer in the land. Villagers far and wide welcome her with both awe and disdain—grateful to her for ridding their towns of the undead menace, but finding themselves made poorer for their salvation. Magiere knows she’s dealing with simple folk, who only wish to have their superstitions silenced, and sees nothing wrong with exploiting them for profit.

Now, tired of the game, Magiere and her partner, the half-elf Leesil, are ready to hang up their weapons and settle down in a place they can finally call home. But their newfound peace will not last—for Magiere has come to the attention of a trio of powerful and dangerous vampires who know her true identity—and fear the birthright that flows through her veins. And they will stop at nothing to keep Magiere from fulfilling her destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

Launching a new vampire series, this volume introduces Magiere, a con-artist who poses as a vampire slayer. Now tired of her game, Magiere and her half-elf partner, Leesil, are ready to call it quits when Magiere learns that she is a true vampire slayer-a dhampir-whose actions attract the attention of a trio of powerful vampires who want her blood. Original. She hunts the realm's most dangerous game. Her fees are exorbitant. She's worth every coin she receives. Or is she? Magiere has earned a reputation as the most formidable vampire slayer in the land. Villagers far and wide welcome her with both awe and disdain-grateful to her for ridding their towns of the undead menace, but finding themselves made poorer for their salvation. Magiere knows she's dealing with simple folk, who only wish to have their superstitions silenced, and sees nothing wrong with exploiting them for profit. Now, tired of the game, Magiere and her partner, the half-elf Leesil, are ready to hang up their weapons and settle down in a place they can finally call home. But their newfound peace will not last-for Magiere has come to the attention of a trio of powerful and dangerous vampires who know her true identity-and fear the birthright that flows through her veins. And they will stop at nothing to keep Magiere from fulfilling her destiny.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible