Dhampir (Noble Dead) by Barb Hendee

Dhampir (Noble Dead) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Barb Hendee

1,193286,721 (3.7)17
Member:readingdate
Title:Dhampir (Noble Dead)
Authors:Barb Hendee
Info:Roc (2003), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:to-read

Dhampir by Barb Hendee (Author) (2003)

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs (Nikkles)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (annekaelber)
    annekaelber: This series, while set in modern Chicago, has vampires, witches, werewolves and so much more. I love this series and hope you do as well.
    Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi (MyriadBooks)
    Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly (wolfjack)

I recommend this book, and the three-star rating I'm giving it feels a little harsh. (Three and one half stars, anyone?) Barb and J.C. Hendee have created an appealing protagonist, essentially a vampire slayer a la Buffy, but not a carbon copy of Whedon's creation at all. Her personality, background and hang-ups are certainly her own, not stuck somewhere in Sunnydale. Her companion, Leesil, has an interesting backstory himself, and such a thoughtfully conceived character earns his share of the narrative!
I also appreciate the fact that the authors have made the vampires three-dimensional characters, earning some empathy even as they wreak havoc.
The plot is a strong point here, which is unusual, as vampire novels often collapse into a soapy mess of blood-red roses and heaving bodices. Instead, the story is subtler and more interesting: the orbits of vampire and vampire hunter creep ever closer, a process born more of gravity and inevitability (dare I say fate?) than of any desire to fight.
So, all that and only three stars? I'm on the edge of four here. But one thing this book didn't do -- it didn't hook me. It didn't make me stay up way past my bedtime just to find out what happens. I think that some of the "in between" passages felt too static, the rhythm perhaps a bit unsettled as action and intrigue give way to exposition and backstory without keeping the blood pumping.
Before I spout another blood analogy, I think I'd better stop here and sink my teeth into the sequel!
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
Ably written and quite suitable for the young adult crowd. Far better written than the swoony wordy Twilight series. ( )
  fountainoverflows | Oct 3, 2011 |

Hendee, BarbAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hendee, J.C.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jaclyn, our little starving artist raised by two starving artists
The village appeared deserted but for thin trails of smoke escaping clay chimneys to drift up and dissolve in the darkness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459067, Mass Market Paperback)

She hunts the realm’s most dangerous game.

Her fees are exorbitant.

She’s worth every coin she receives.

Or is she?

Magiere has earned a reputation as the most formidable vampire slayer in the land. Villagers far and wide welcome her with both awe and disdain—grateful to her for ridding their towns of the undead menace, but finding themselves made poorer for their salvation. Magiere knows she’s dealing with simple folk, who only wish to have their superstitions silenced, and sees nothing wrong with exploiting them for profit.

Now, tired of the game, Magiere and her partner, the half-elf Leesil, are ready to hang up their weapons and settle down in a place they can finally call home. But their newfound peace will not last—for Magiere has come to the attention of a trio of powerful and dangerous vampires who know her true identity—and fear the birthright that flows through her veins. And they will stop at nothing to keep Magiere from fulfilling her destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:40 -0400)

Launching a new vampire series, this volume introduces Magiere, a con-artist who poses as a vampire slayer. Now tired of her game, Magiere and her half-elf partner, Leesil, are ready to call it quits when Magiere learns that she is a true vampire slayer-a dhampir-whose actions attract the attention of a trio of powerful vampires who want her blood. Original. She hunts the realm's most dangerous game. Her fees are exorbitant. She's worth every coin she receives. Or is she? Magiere has earned a reputation as the most formidable vampire slayer in the land. Villagers far and wide welcome her with both awe and disdain-grateful to her for ridding their towns of the undead menace, but finding themselves made poorer for their salvation. Magiere knows she's dealing with simple folk, who only wish to have their superstitions silenced, and sees nothing wrong with exploiting them for profit. Now, tired of the game, Magiere and her partner, the half-elf Leesil, are ready to hang up their weapons and settle down in a place they can finally call home. But their newfound peace will not last-for Magiere has come to the attention of a trio of powerful and dangerous vampires who know her true identity-and fear the birthright that flows through her veins. And they will stop at nothing to keep Magiere from fulfilling her destiny.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible