172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

172 Hours on the Moon (original 2008; edition 2013)

by Johan Harstad

Member:LizziA
Title:172 Hours on the Moon
Authors:Johan Harstad
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad (2008)

Feed by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    Dark Matter by Michelle Paver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: Both excellent horror stories with the same kind of feeling.

English (37)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (41)
4.5/5

This books was terrifying. It was so intense and frightening that at some points I sat there shaking, my heart was ridiculously pounding and I couldn't breathe. It was that suspenseful that I couldn't put it down and had to read through the night, which wasn't exactly the best idea in the dark.

The whole plot, the suspense, it all blew me away. The idea that NASA would send three teenagers to the moon, disguising the mission as a research one was a bit unrealistic but it was all made up for.
Most of the characters were also really great and pretty well developed which isn't something I commonly see in these books. There was Mia who got forced into entering the contest by her parents(which I did expect to be the case for one of the winners), was in a band, and was a generally powerful character when it came to the end. Midori entered because she wanted to escape to New York and leave everything behind which is a good reason as any but towards the beginning, I did find her to be somewhat annoying. The third contestant was Antoine I thought for the most part was fantastic. I mean his whole reason to go to the moon was to get away from his girlfriend. Mia's and Antoine's relationship seemed too rushed though on his part considering he was just utterly in love with his ex and then was very forward with Mia.
Of course, there were certain gaps in the story line, mostly because some previous knowledge was required that wasn't really touched on, but that's one thing that you end up getting used to and expect of such a fast paced thriller. When I noticed the fact that the whole plot was based off an actual event that occurred left me wondering much more than usually, where the signal could've come from and what's actually out there in space.

What happened towards the end was just completely mind blowing. Based on all the other chapter cliffhangers I should've expected it but it was completely epic. What made it even more terrifying was how realistic and possible the author made what happened to the characters.

Overall just WHOA. Definitely a book I recommend to read, just not in the dark.
I also probably would decline the offer to go to the moon if I got the chance now.

caffeinatedreads | Jun 18, 2018 |
RATING: 3.5 STARS

This books starts of reeeeally slowly and I honestly could not care less about the build up to the actual mission stuff. The teens' stories bored me up until the point where the crew was boarding the shuttle for launch to the moon. The teens were flat characters without much to them for the most part.

The actual mission/moon part was incredibly creepy though and gave me goosebumps while reading at night. I absolutely LOVED how the ending was written and really enjoyed the pictures of things included throughout. I don't want to say too much because this is a book that is best read with knowing as little as possible. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
RATING: 3.5 STARS

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I’ve been hearing a lot of people talking about how scary this book is since it came out. I hate to say it, but I was pretty disappointed. I think that’s why I felt like I couldn’t give it five stars. It’s a super good book and I can see how it could creep some people out but I didn’t find it creepy at all. I actually held off reading it until I was home alone at night. It still didn’t freak me out which made me a bit sad. Other than it not being scary, this book was great. I really enjoyed it. Maybe if you get scared real easy you will enjoy it even more than I did. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Dec 28, 2017 |
I only grabbed this book because I thought cover looked interesting. I didn’t put two and two together until I finished the book. Creepy and at the same time a good horror sci fi in the YA section.

To be fair, the pace of the book starts off a little slow at first. Think of it as a very slow introduction to the characters and establishing the setting, and where they’re going to be headed to on their space journey.

Then hell breaks loose when they’re on the moon

And wow, the pace picks up considerably and it instantly becomes a page turner. Now I understand there needs to be a mystery aspect to the novel - whether that’s necessary to establish the plot or not, that I’m not too sure. I welcomed it regardless because everything starting coming together and you find yourself racing through the novel to find out what’s going to happen next.

Considering this is a YA sci fi novel, you’re not going to come across anything astronomically complicated when it comes to the science aspect of it all. No physics lessons or rocket science (literally.) It’s not meant to be a complex read so it’s ideal when one doesn’t want to bother with NASA lingo.

Be prepared for a twist at the end. I was completely floored and it made the read incredibly enjoyable.

Greatly recommended and well worth the read. We need more like this in the YA section! (and if you do find one, please let me know! I’m open to reading more of this!) ( )
  sensitivemuse | May 17, 2017 |
Het verhaal begint in februari 2000. NASA-medewerkers hebben een gesprek over de vorige maanlanding. Op een pas ontdekte landkaart heeft een van hen gezien dat in 1974 op de maan een onderzoeksstation is gebouwd. Er was daar iets ontdekt wat maar beter direct vergeten kon worden. In 2012 organiseert NASA een wereldwijde loterij onder jongeren tussen 14 en 18 jaar. Drie van hen mogen mee naar de maan. De publiciteit levert geld op. Mia uit Oslo, Midori uit Tokyo en Antoine uit Parijs winnen de ruimtereis (172 uur) naar maanstation Darlah2. De drie pubers met heel verschillende karakters komen voor hete vuren te staan, zeker als blijkt dat er ook nog een Darlah1 bestaat. De enige mens op aarde die weet dat de reis fataal kan aflopen, is dementerend en woont in een bejaardentehuis. Hij was vroeger conciërge bij NASA. Hij wil de wereld waarschuwen, maar zijn woorden worden niet begrepen. Het boek is bijzonder goed geschreven en vertaald. De filmrechten zijn verkocht aan Hollywood. Heerlijk spannend boek voor jong en oud. Vanaf ca. 15 jaar.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, A. van Dijk

The woman didn't know she had just come closer to death than most people did in their entire lives.
"Gentlemen, it's time," Dr. said, eyeing the seven men in suits seated around the large conference table.

It's been decades since anyone set foot on the moon. Now three ordinary teenagers, the winners of NASA's unprecedented, worldwide lottery, are about to become the first young people in space — and change their lives forever.

Mia, from Norway, hopes this will be her punk band's ticket to fame and fortune.

Midori believes it's her way out of her restrained life in Japan.

Antoine, from France, just wants to get as far away from his ex-girlfriend as possible.

It's the opportunity of a lifetime, but little do the teenagers know that something sinister is waiting for them on the desolate surface of the moon. And in the black vacuum of space... no one is coming to save them.

In this chilling adventure set in the most brutal landscape known to man, highly acclaimed Norwegian novelist Johan Harstad creates a vivid and frightening world of possibilities we can only hope never come true.

It's been decades since anyone set foot on the moon. Now three ordinary teenagers, the winners of NASA's unprecedented, worldwide lottery, are about to become the first young people in space--and change their lives forever.

Midori believes it's her way out of her restrained life in Japan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

In 2019, teens Mia, Antoine, and Midori are selected by lottery to join experienced astronauts on a NASA mission to the once top-secret moon base, DARLAH 2, while in a Florida nursing home, a former astronaut struggles to warn someone of the terrible danger there.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,718,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible