Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian) by…

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian) (edition 2006)

by Keri Arthur

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian)
Authors:Keri Arthur
Info:Dell (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:to-read

Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (Author)

Recently added byveredi, HeatherQ, private library, mmoj, keeneam, annabw, FionnaAndJames, SA_Jane

English (47)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All (50)
Very steamy. But, the story behind the steam was actually quite good. I will probably read another in the series. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Despite a major downfall (I'll discuss this issue later) this was a very good Urban Fantasy with an interesting female lead.

What Worked: Arthur did a great job of introducing us to the Riley Jenson world. I was never confused by the rules in play which follow some basic known "facts" about creatures like vampires and werewolves but there was enough originality to keep this Urban Fantasy fresh and not tired.

Riley is such a strong force to be reckoned with that I couldn't help but admire her strength and intelligence. Despite her ending up in dire circumstances (multiple times) I never thought she fell into the dreaded TSTL category.

What Didn't Work: The sex. In Keri Arthur's world, werewolves are sensual creatures that do not adhere to the standard morals and values ideal. Therefore they tend to have sex....a lot. AND that isn't even counting the "Full Moon" cycle when they absolutely have to have sex or go ape shit crazy. Like rabid-werewolf-killing-everything-in-sight crazy. They also only become monogamous when they find their soul mate so they often have multiple sexual partners that they use on a regular basis until they find their "forever" mate. So, I get it. Keri decided her werewolves were going to be free loving hippie children. Unfortunately she felt the need to have Riley explain this repeatedly to one of her sex partners who had a problem with all the free lovin' going on. He thinks werewolves are nothing more than whores. A little harsh but maybe not completely out of line. Riley has to tell him that werewolves are not human and should not be boxed into human ideals of sex and morality. My problem with this is that Keri somehow forgot that her readers ARE human and just might have a bit of an issue with a woman who has sex with several different men all in the same night.

In addition to the amount of sex (and sexual partners) that happen within the book it also has to be noted that there was a complete lack of romance surrounding the sex that it made it, well, unsexy. There was so much unsexy sex going on that when Riley did get with someone that she might have more of a connection to the reader is beyond caring and the scene ends up happening with no real fanfare.

In a Nutshell: Despite the HUGE issue surrounding all the unsexy sex and whatnot Riley, truly is a compelling heroine with an interesting background and a budding future as a Guardian in the Directorate. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
I can't help but feel bad for the vampire in all of this... ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I don't like to use the word surprised or shocked much when it comes to describing my feelings about a book, I think it starts to lose it's effect. When it comes to this book I have to say I was very surprised, first that I really liked it, and secondly the concept and material shocked me. The synopsis didn't grab me and made me think I would like it as much as I do and the heroine was far unlike any other I've read about.

Riley Johnson is a twin who is also a rare hybrid werewolf & vampire with a high sex drive one week a month before the full moon. She and all the wolves in this book have no compunction with having multiple sexual partners in their life. In this story the wolves aren't known for monogamy and are very open talking about sex freely. That was one of the things that shocked me about Riley she was so comfortable with herself and talking about sex, especially with her twin Rhoan. It was a little different for me that a brother and sister could discuss their sex life with each other so comfortably, while strange to me it was very refreshing to see a character like Riley. The are so many insecure and inhibited characters out there that finding Riley was a pleasure.

There were so many different supernatural beings in the book and many of them down right creeped me out. I've never had such a strong icky factor from a supernatural book before but I think the description of these beings had the effect it was probably trying to portray. There was a lot of action and I think Keri Arthur is really great with writing fight sequences.

This was a very good read for me, I think Riley had a lot to do with it, she was a strong protagonist that at first give off the impression that she's not a badass but all of a sudden she's kicking ass and taking names. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Hot Hot Hot , Sexy vampires, warm blooded weres, full moons and a strong sexy woman. Full of action and mystery. I could not put this book down. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
The night was quiet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588451, Mass Market Paperback)

In this exciting debut, author Keri Arthur explodes onto the supernatural scene with a sexy, sensuous tale of intrigue and suspense set in a world where legends walk and the shady paths of the underworld are far more sinister than anyone envisioned.

A rare hybrid of vampire and werewolf, Riley Jenson and her twin brother, Rhoan, work for Melbourne’s Directorate of Other Races, an organization created to police the supernatural races–and protect humans from their depredations. While Rhoan is an exalted guardian, a.k.a. assassin, Riley is merely an office worker–until her brother goes missing on one of his missions. The timing couldn’t be worse. More werewolf than vampire, Riley is vulnerable to the moon heat, the weeklong period before the full moon, when her need to mate becomes all-consuming.…

Luckily Riley has two willing partners to satisfy her every need. But she will have to control her urges if she’s going to find her brother….Easier said than done as the city pulses with frenzied desire, and Riley is confronted with a very powerful–and delectably naked–vamp who raises her temperature like never before.

In matters carnal, Riley has met her match. But in matters criminal, she must follow her instincts not only to find her brother but to stop an unholy harvest. For someone is doing some shifty cloning in an attempt to produce the ultimate warrior–by tapping into the genome of nonhumans like Rhoan. Now Riley knows just how dangerous the world is for her kind–and just how much it needs her.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

Riley Jenson, a rare hybrid of vampire and werewolf, and her twin brother, Rhoan, work with the Melbourne Directorate of Other Races to protect humans from supernatural races, but when Rhoan disappears while on a mission, Riley learns she cannot depend on her employer to find her brother and sets out into the night to save him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,338,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible