Cruel Justice by Mel Comley

Cruel Justice (edition 2011)

by Mel Comley

Member:celfy
Title:Cruel Justice
Authors:Mel Comley
Info:YouWriteOn (2011), Paperback, 344 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Kindle

Cruel Justice by Mel Comley (Author)

Recently added byPatrickJIV, private library, booksniff, JMHD1975

Cruel Justice by MA Comley is a British police procedural featuring a female DI, Lorne Simkins.

I very nearly put the book down for good after reading the graphic and disturbing opening chapter. It was an unpleasant shock.

The second chapter sets up the Inspector Simpkin's domestic problems, which feature prominently thoughout the rest of the book. I like a crime novel with strong character relationships, but I didn't feel entirely sympathetic to our workaholic policewoman. By the end of the book I found her slightly two dimensional and her judgment seemed to be off.

The dialogue is well written and the somewhat predictable plot moved along quickly so that I finished the book in two days. Some of the plot details didn't seem believable at times, for instance the level of surveillance by the killer.

The perpetrator suffered sexual abuse as a child, and this nearly always appears to be a precursor to being a serial killer.

The final cliff hanger seemed gratuitous. Although I understand why it was added to the story, it did nothing to convince me to read the next in this series of 5 novels.

For me, Cruel Justice was just an okay read. ( )
  Zumbanista | Sep 3, 2014 |
I look forward to reading more works by Mel Comley. DI Simpson is a determined detective, tough but soft. I felt sorry for her partner, DS Pete Childs who took the brunt of her frustrations. A good story line, the suspense was well maintained. ( )
  dannN | Jun 28, 2014 |
Surprisingly good. Comley’s series featuring DI Lorne Simpson and DS Pete Childs, were being offered free for my Kindle. Being always open to new authors, especially if the price is right, I quickly downloaded and dove right in. I was hooked from the first chapter, which, I must add is extremely brutal. Once past that, the investigation was up to my usual standards for police procedurals.

Lorne is going through a very rough patch with her husband Tom, a stay-at-home dad who resents his role in the marriage. (OK, now we have that irrelevant detail out of the way, a theme the author could have easily dispensed with.)

A headless corpse is discovered to be the twin of another woman who is killed shortly thereafter. The question for Lorne becomes whether one was the target and the killer, realizing he has made a mistake, must kill the twin. The first clue is when the head arrives in the mail along with a note: “HERE LIES THE MISSING PART TO YOUR FIRST PUZZLE.”

The key lies long in the past and the reader is kept guessing. Some of the character interactions seemed superfluous and I remain skeptical of books where the killer targets a particular policeman. It’s so unrealistic and unnecessary.

Nevertheless, good plot and investigation. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
I am so excited to have such a great new detective series to follow. DI Lorne Simpkins is a wonderful character to read. She is fiesty and tears into her work with gusto, not wanting to stop until she gets the bad "arse." Her partner, Pete, is the perfect counterpart to her and they make a wonderful combo. Lorne has some flaws, which only gives her characters more depth and realism. As a workaholic in a stressful job, she is trying to balance family life but still keep street crime under control. There is such a wonderful balance between these two separate storylines and it only adds to the character development. You end up feeling like you have known these people for years. That is such a hard thing to accomplish for a writer, and this just makes a reader not able to put down this book until the very last scene. Just when you think you know where this book is heading, it takes an about turn, something I think Comley must enjoy doing to her readers. She obviously likes to keep us on the edge of our seats! I am so excited there are 3 more Justice books available because Lorne Simpkins is someone I want to read a lot more about. ( )
  Mary.Endersbe | Dec 16, 2012 |

A serial killer taunts the police...And he has his sights on DI Lorne Simpkins

The headless body of a wealthy widow is discovered decomposing in Chelling Forest.

Detective Inspector Lorne Simpkins and her partner, DS Pete Childs are assigned to the case.

A few days later another victim, this time a young girl, is discovered. Who could the killer be and what's the connection between the two victims?

Then after a third murder, the killer contacts Lorne with a grisly surprise. It looks like Lorne has a serial killer on her hands—and one that has become fixated on her.

As she tries to solve the crimes, Lorne is also coping with a failing marriage and a new, unsympathetic boss with whom she has a secret past. Then, as she begins to despair at the lack of clues, help arrives from an unlikely source.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible