Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (2012)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (2)

Ghosts (74)

As fun as the first one - maybe it was more of a Buffy episode though. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Such an amazing follow up to Anna Dressed in Blood. The horror, the suspense, the humor, the determination...it's all there. The end had me going "OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?" Definitely a recommend for people looking for an unconventional horror/fantasy series. You will fall in love with Cas and Anna. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is going to be a really tough review to write, since I all but flipped out praising Kendare Blake's first book, Anna Dressed in Blood. I was so very excited to see what happened to Anna and Cas after the cliffhanger that Blake left for us in the last book. As soon as I was able to get my hands on a copy of Girl of Nightmares I did! I was eager for more of the stuff of nightmares that drew me in the first time around.

What I found though was a much different book. Anna and Cas are both back. However this time they're so different, and I'll admit that it threw me off a bit. If you'll remember from my review of the first book, I loved Cas' cocky demeanor and lone wolf attitude. What can I say? I'm a sucker for boys like that. The Cas that comes through in this book is a much more lonely and sad boy. Broken, sad, a little like a lonely puppy. Where was my Cas? In the same respect, Anna was there, but also not. I can't explain without spoiling, but I missed her so much.

After a few chapters I finally got used to Cas' new attitude, and was okay with it. Blake does a great job of showing his deep need to find Anna. So I kept reading on, hoping for some scary scenes to keep me up and night and sadly nothing happened. Seriously. There are multiple chapters where nothing exciting happens at all. Now, yes, I understand why. Kendare Blake spends a lot of this book explaining the history behind Cas' athame. She also introduces a new threat in the form of a sinister society with tons of secrets. However without the visceral imagery, the haunting happenings, and the Anna/Cas interaction, I found myself bored. It made for a slow read.

It's actually not surprising to me that I didn't love Girl of Nightmares as much as Blake's first book. I loved Cas as a ghost busting bad-ass. I adored Anna as a vicious yet gorgeous apparition. Everything that I loved about Anna Dressed in Blood was missing here. I applaud the character development, and can't deny that I enjoyed learning about the athame's past. Still, this wasn't my favorite sequel. This is worth a read for closure alone though, especially if you were waiting as eagerly as I was.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Had high hopes for this one. Slow and a much different feel than Anna Dressed in Blood. I listened to this on audio, and the narrator's accents are atrocious. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Dec 4, 2018 |
I enjoyed the first book of this series so I was excited to read the second one. Man, I did not enjoy this one. It had too much ya angst that is so popular. Meh ( )
  MinDea | Nov 26, 2018 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,352,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible