Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake, August Ross (Narrator)

Member:jen.s
Title:Girl of Nightmares
Authors:Kendare Blake
Other authors:August Ross (Narrator)
Info:AudioGO (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***1/2

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (2012)

Ghosts (58)

I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first book in the series. I love a good ghost story. The only down side, there were only two books in this series. : ( I give this book 5 of 5 stars. ( )
  stevealtier | Apr 29, 2016 |
In this installment of the Anna series, Cas cannot live with the idea of Anna sacrificing herself for him and his friends and being sent to god knows where. Everyone wants him to forget her but his guilt, and missing her prevents him from letting go. He keeps seeing her everywhere, she's haunting him and he has to see her suffer unspeakable torture.

Cas is persistent and pushes those in the know to help him contact Anna and bring her back. Cas vows to go to any lengths to have Anna back even if it means his life. Cas cannot accept what he's learning about his Athame, people are making it sound sentient and evil, but to him it's just a knife, his knife, but a treasured possession nonetheless. If that's not all, Cas learns there is more behind the knife's creation that was withheld from him and there's a group that has a lot to do with the Athame's existence that want's to replace him but he can only be replaced after his death.

I think Cas has more room to learn how to have a conversation with the living, he holds back a lot. He's shuts down and doesn't seem to want to deal, but he's getting there. I would have loved to see the growth in him that he suddenly had at the end of the story, didn't see the decision he made coming.

Don't know if there is another book, it ended with a sort of completion but to me a bit open ended. I feel there is more to this secret group behind the Athame and it's wielder. If the story continues I would like to learn more about this secret group and if Anna continues to have a part in Cas' life. Still liking the story a lot and if there is more I would love to read it. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Girl of Nightmares is a YA paranormal horror novel that’s not quite as good as its predecessor, Anna Dressed in Blood, but does the necessary job of tying up loose plot threads. You absolutely need to have read Anna Dressed in Blood before picking up Girl of Nightmares.

Girl of Nightmares starts six months after the end of Anna Dressed in Blood. Cas is worried about what became of Anna and what her sacrifice meant when he suddenly starts seeing her all over the place. He becomes determined to get her out of whatever hell she’s trapped in, no matter the cost to himself.

Girl of Nightmares does wrap everything up well. The last few chapters were worthwhile, and there were some good scenes closer to the end. Unfortunately, nothing’s exciting until about two thirds of the way through. The subplot with Carmel in that time felt unnecessary and damaging for her character, especially since it had no lasting consequences and everyone seemed to have forgotten about it by the end.

One of the things I really loved about Anna Dressed in Blood was Anna herself. By the nature of the story line, she wasn’t in Girl of Nightmares nearly as much, and I think it suffered from the lack. Girl of Nightmares also didn’t have the same creepy thriller vibe going on, which ties in a lot with the slowness of the first two thirds.

Girl of Nightmares did go a lot more into the mythology of the world and how everything worked. However, the greater explanation didn’t make up for the lack of action or the haunting atmosphere that permeated the first book.

If you read Anna Dressed in Blood, you’ll still probably want to read Girl of Nightmares to get closure on the story lines. If you haven’t read either of them, I would suggest it despite my problems with this second installment, given the fun I had with the first book.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Feb 15, 2016 |
Cass Lowood has now become used to life in Thunder Bay. He's finished a school year in the same school for the first time in years. He has friends: the beautiful and popular Carmel Jones and nerdy voodoo teenage witch Thomas Sabin. The three have tried to move on from the devastating events in Anna Dressed in Blood. They've been going to school by day and killing ghosts by night. But when Anna starts haunting Cass, he becomes obsessed with saving her from whatever hell she is suffering. His quest to save her drives a wedge between him and his friends, and leads him across the ocean to follow ominous clues sent by anonymous people.

I enjoyed Girl of Nightmares even more than Anna Dressed in Blood. I began the book with an attachment to all the characters, and was genuinely concerned about Anna's fate. Cass, Carmel, and Thomas begin to develop more rounded personalities in this book - showing sides of themselves that weren't obvious in the first book. Girl of Nightmares had a good mixture of action and intrigue, which kept me turning the pages. I'm hoping there will be another book coming up soon. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Oct 16, 2015 |
Really good. In Girl of Nightmares, Cas tries to live a normal life after Anna dragged the Obeahman to the other side. But he can't. He starts seeing visions of her being tortured, and Cas believes this is trying Anna to get his attention. Cas thinks that Anna needs his help, and Anna is not where she is supposed to be. So, Cas tries to find a way to open a door to the other side to get Anna back. But there is a group of people who don't want that to happen, they believe that it is wrong to bring someone back from the other side, and that Cas has tainted the purpose of the athame by deciding who to kill (instead of just killing every ghost he sees). They've even trained a replacement for him, named Jestine.
What I liked: Jestine's personality. I got so used to Cas, Carmel, and Thomas as a team, so when Jestine was introduced into the book, I was surprized, but I thought Jestine was a nice addition to their group. She made things seem lighter, and made the story more interesting.
What I disliked: Although this book was awesome, I still feel that it wasn't as great as the first one, which had more action in it. Another thing I was slightly upset about was how Jestine and Cas ended off. From what I've read, I don't think they will be keeping in touch...which sucks.
I'm sad to see this series end, and I hope there will be more, but if not, Girl of Nightmares had a wonderful ending. ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible