Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake, August Ross (Narrator)

Member:jen.s
Title:Girl of Nightmares
Authors:Kendare Blake
Other authors:August Ross (Narrator)
Info:AudioGO (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***1/2

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (2012)

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

The ending of Anna Dressed in Blood meant that the sequel could really go either way for me, depending on how Blake resolved things. Because she’s awesome, I liked Girl of Nightmares just as well as Anna Dressed in Blood, though for slightly different reasons. The books are a bit different in some ways, but I think both quite good. I don’t know if this sequel was entirely necessary, but it’s good enough that that doesn’t really matter much. Girl of Nightmares probably won’t give you nightmares, but it might keep you up late reading.

Kendare Blake’s Anna duology is one of the rare times in paranormal where I think the romance is just what it should be. Most authors would come up with some magical ending, pull the HEA out of the hellmouth. I like that things aren’t that simple in Girl of Nightmares. The ending’s satisfying but it’s not perfect or magical. It’s realistic, so far as a story about going to find a ghost in hell can be. Romance is Cas’ driving force in Girl of Nightmares, but it’s not the driving force of the series.

Speaking of romance, I really appreciate Carmel’s character in a whole lot of ways. I didn’t really talk about her in book one because I wanted to finish out her character arc. She’s this perfect, popular girl on the surface. She could so easily have been a stereotypical queen bee. Instead, shes’ a loyal friend and a fiend with a bat. For the terrible circumstances she winds up in with Cas and Thomas, she hardly complains and she helps save the day a lot, despite being basically the only non-magical person to matter in the series. In no way is she ever the damsel in distress. I also LOVE that she was not in the book to be a love interest for Cas and that she goes for the less obvious guy.

If what you loved best about Anna Dressed in Blood was the scary ghost stuff, then Girl of Nightmares will probably be a bit of a let down. There are a few scary ghosts scenes, but it’s not nearly so gory or consistent. The plot’s a bit more meandering, with Thomas heading on a journey to figure out how to rescue Anna from hell. The plot works in the long run, I think, but in the middle it does feel as though it hits doldrums.

The characterization could still be better in the series, however. I still don’t really have any sense of who Cas is at all. He’s not quite flat, but he’s definitely not real. Blake excels at setting and horror, but the characters are not there yet. Of course, these are her first two published books, so I’m sure she’ll grow better at this as time goes by. Despite being a character-focused reader, there was enough to love in both of these books to keep me interested without the emotional connection.

Ultimately, what I love about this series ender is that Kendare Blake dared to go with a less traditional ending. The Anna series is good for horror fans, quick and fun. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Aug 21, 2014 |
Engaging sequel with less punch but just as much oomph.

Girl of Nightmares was an excellent follow up to Kendare Blake’s Anna Dressed in Blood. It tells us what happens after, which I was definitely curious about. It builds more on the relationships between Cas, Carmen and Thomas and gives us some realistic tensions between them. We even get a taste of a few high school drama moments that fit really well. Personally, even though I read a fair amount of young adult books the high school drama behavior usually just annoys me, but the bits included here were perfect.

There isn’t as much spine tingling action, or blood curdling chills as the first book, which I was somewhat disappointed in, but there are plenty of interesting tidbits to keep you turning pages. I enjoyed the new character we are introduced to in the second half of Girl of Nightmares, and would say it would be nice to see more of her. We also get to learn about the athame, it’s origins, as well as Cas’ father’s past. Though I didn’t feel there were as many creeptastic scenes, one particular scene toward the end seriously helped make up for the lack through earlier parts of the book.

However, what was really missing was more Anna. But I suppose that was the point of Girl of Nightmares after all, to find out what happened to her, so we really don’t see her until the end. Such a pity.

Overall it was a great read and I am seriously looking forward to reading anything else Kendare Blake writes. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
AAAAAAH! Why WHY???

In a way it was a beautiful ending - in my opinion it was WRONG! - But beautiful

Dont ask me why, but I picture Gideon as Stephen Fry... Is that weird? ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
The sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood, in which Cas and his friends try to save Anna from being trapped in Hell.

Stylistically, this is more of the same as first book, but with less backstory and more meebling on what to do. The first big chunk of the book mostly consists of Cas, Thomas and Carmel disagreeing on whether or not to look for a way to save Anna/bring Anna back and why, but things improve once that's done and they head to London for more information. Still, we see a lot less of Anna in this book, and she was my favorite character, so it wasn't quite as fun as the first one overall. Also, I took off a .5 star because I hated Jestine. Cas describes all the things she does that annoys him or makes him not trust her, and it irritated me that the plot still treats her like a potential love interest despite that. ( )
  DeweyEver | Mar 17, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible