Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake, August Ross (Narrator)

Member:jen.s
Title:Girl of Nightmares
Authors:Kendare Blake
Other authors:August Ross (Narrator)
Info:AudioGO (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***1/2

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (2012)

2012 (8) 2012-reads (3) 2012-release (4) 2013 (7) borrowed (3) cults (6) ebook (6) fantasy (15) favorites (3) fiction (7) ghosts (39) high school (4) horror (35) library (3) magic (5) mystery (6) own (3) paranormal (19) read (4) romance (10) series (8) supernatural (9) teen (5) to-read (48) urban fantasy (3) wishlist (3) witchcraft (3) witches (6) YA (25) young adult (36)

Engaging sequel with less punch but just as much oomph.

Girl of Nightmares was an excellent follow up to Kendare Blake’s Anna Dressed in Blood. It tells us what happens after, which I was definitely curious about. It builds more on the relationships between Cas, Carmen and Thomas and gives us some realistic tensions between them. We even get a taste of a few high school drama moments that fit really well. Personally, even though I read a fair amount of young adult books the high school drama behavior usually just annoys me, but the bits included here were perfect.

There isn’t as much spine tingling action, or blood curdling chills as the first book, which I was somewhat disappointed in, but there are plenty of interesting tidbits to keep you turning pages. I enjoyed the new character we are introduced to in the second half of Girl of Nightmares, and would say it would be nice to see more of her. We also get to learn about the athame, it’s origins, as well as Cas’ father’s past. Though I didn’t feel there were as many creeptastic scenes, one particular scene toward the end seriously helped make up for the lack through earlier parts of the book.

However, what was really missing was more Anna. But I suppose that was the point of Girl of Nightmares after all, to find out what happened to her, so we really don’t see her until the end. Such a pity.

Overall it was a great read and I am seriously looking forward to reading anything else Kendare Blake writes. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
AAAAAAH! Why WHY???

In a way it was a beautiful ending - in my opinion it was WRONG! - But beautiful

Dont ask me why, but I picture Gideon as Stephen Fry... Is that weird? ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
The sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood, in which Cas and his friends try to save Anna from being trapped in Hell.

Stylistically, this is more of the same as first book, but with less backstory and more meebling on what to do. The first big chunk of the book mostly consists of Cas, Thomas and Carmel disagreeing on whether or not to look for a way to save Anna/bring Anna back and why, but things improve once that's done and they head to London for more information. Still, we see a lot less of Anna in this book, and she was my favorite character, so it wasn't quite as fun as the first one overall. Also, I took off a .5 star because I hated Jestine. Cas describes all the things she does that annoys him or makes him not trust her, and it irritated me that the plot still treats her like a potential love interest despite that. ( )
  DeweyEver | Mar 17, 2014 |
Anna was my favorite character in Anna Dressed in Blood, and this book distinctly lacks the presence of Anna for most of it. I just couldn't get excited about the Order or anything associated with it. I did, however, like the ending; I thought that that was probably the best that could have happened, considering the circumstances. ( )
  schatzi | Feb 8, 2014 |
In this installment of the Anna series, Cas cannot live with the idea of Anna sacrificing herself for him and his friends and being sent to god knows where. Everyone wants him to forget her but his guilt, and missing her prevents him from letting go. He keeps seeing her everywhere, she's haunting him and he has to see her suffer unspeakable torture.

Cas is persistent and pushes those in the know to help him contact Anna and bring her back. Cas vows to go to any lengths to have Anna back even if it means his life. Cas cannot accept what he's learning about his Athame, people are making it sound sentient and evil, but to him it's just a knife, his knife, but a treasured possession nonetheless. If that's not all, Cas learns there is more behind the knife's creation that was withheld from him and there's a group that has a lot to do with the Athame's existence that want's to replace him but he can only be replaced after his death.

I think Cas has more room to learn how to have a conversation with the living, he holds back a lot. He's shuts down and doesn't seem to want to deal, but he's getting there. I would have loved to see the growth in him that he suddenly had at the end of the story, didn't see the decision he made coming.

Don't know if there is another book, it ended with a sort of completion but to me a bit open ended. I feel there is more to this secret group behind the Athame and it's wielder. If the story continues I would like to learn more about this secret group and if Anna continues to have a part in Cas' life. Still liking the story a lot and if there is more I would love to read it. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible