Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake, August Ross (Narrator)

Series: Anna (2)

Member:jen.s
Title:Girl of Nightmares
Authors:Kendare Blake
Other authors:August Ross (Narrator)
Info:AudioGO (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***1/2

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (2012)

Ghosts (59)

English (74)  English (1)  English (75)
I can't really compared Girl of Nightmares to Anna Dressed in Blood, it felt different somehow, even though the characters were basically the same. Anna is back - kind of - and Cas will do anything to save her, even if it means going against what everyone is telling him.

This time around, I found that I had no interest in the Cas/Anna story. I didn't really find the mystery in this installment as intriguing as the first book, and there where times when Cas seemed less of the assertive fighter he was in the first book and a bit of a whiner. However, I wouldn't call this behaviour completely impossible, he is still young, regardless of what he has seen, but in my head I built him up as a strong (and headstrong) character, it was a bit odd to see some holes.

However, I still enjoyed the book. There were a few new characters introduced, Cas and company visit my London, favourite place on earth next to New York, and we get a better understanding of the history of the athame; which was definitely interesting!

I do enjoy Kendare's writing style and the layers she intertwines into her story, this element is very present in Girl of Nightmare. I think if readers enjoyed Anna Dressed in Blood they will like this book as well. For me, while I didn't think the mystery in this book was as good as the first, I still am very interested in seeing what happens to Cas and his friends in the next installment. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
This book had a completely different feel to that of the first one. But it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. It had fewer creepy parts but the story was still enjoyable. This book was all about trying to expand the world and find a fitting conclusion to this story. And in my opinion it succeeded. Most authors would try to find a magical, out of nowhere, ending. In Girl of Nightmares things weren’t quite so simple. The ending is satisfying but not perfect or magical. It’s true and realistic. I really loved that.
I found Cas to be a great and cool character throughout the series, but in this book I came to appreciate Thomas and Carmel as characters. While dubious of Cas and the things he was going through they still remained loyal to him. They supported him and put themselves in danger for him. Especially Carmel, who was never meant to walk this path. Even though she questions it, at the end of the day she remains a loyal friend. The characters aren’t perfect. They are not developed thoroughly but they were still fun. Despite the different direction this book took, I really enjoyed myself. I recommend the Anna series for fans of horror for a quick and fun read
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
It is recommended you read Anna Dressed in Blood before you read this one.
(Possible spoilers. You’ve been warned)

I loved loved loved this book!!! I demand another one! (although I believe it’s only a duology - for now)

The creepy factor was good and well done throughout the novel. (The forest part..oh my lord that was so well written I’ll be remembering that scene for a while now). This is definitely a book you would read for the fall, it’s got perfect atmosphere and mood. Cas as a character pulls the book through and does the book justice.

His relationship was Anna is well done. It’s bittersweet but you know it was bound to happen. As for the other characters, wasn’t too crazy about Carmel’s actions. What the heck...how she brushed off Thomas just made me so mad I wanted to go in and tell her to smarten up and stop being such a twit.

Another character I enjoyed reading was Jestine. She’s a female version of Cas and it was nice of both of them trading barbs here and there. Wish we could see more of her (in the future perhaps? One day? Please?)

Overall, great ending, great read. Fighting scenes were also notable. Sad to see this go but who knows I hope to see Cas in the future! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Oct 22, 2016 |
I need to preface this whole thing by saying if you haven’t read Anna Dressed in Blood go do that now. Seriously, drop everything and go read that book! Also I wouldn’t recommend reading this review before reading the first book. I will try to keep it fairly unspoilery but it is nearly impossible to not give away something from the first book when reviewing the second and final one. So you have been warned.

I LOVE this series. I’m sad it had to end with only two books but maybe it is best to end with a bang then drag it on like certain other series have done. For Girl of Nightmares I give 4 out of 5 stars.

This novel is about Cas’ quest to save Anna from whatever awful place she got stuck in after saving Cas and his friends at the end of the last book. Anna was actually not in much of the book. This was a bit disappointing because I loved Anna. This one did develop the other characters more like Thomas and Carmel as well as focusing on their relationships as a trio with Cas.

The descriptions of ghosts and haunted places was still awesome. The only down side was probably only a downside for someone as crazy nerdy as me. The author moved the suicide forest. The Suicide Forest, or Aokigahara, is a 14 sq mile forest located at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. It is not located near Glasgow, Scotland. You can not just pick up and move an entire forest because it suites your characters needs. I even wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and googled to see if Scotland had anything similar and it does not. Blake would have been better off just creating her own haunted forest with a bunch of ghosts then moving a well known haunted forest to a different country.

That said overall I did enjoy this book, though not as much as I enjoyed the first. Kendare Blake does a great job at creepy descriptions and at developing realistic characters and character relationships. The ghosts descriptions are particularly awesome.

I would recommend this book series for anyone who likes paranormal. It isn’t really scary but it is a great and interesting read and a refreshing book in the haunting/ghost hunter genre. ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 22, 2016 |
The Ghost Hunters are Back! -3.5 stars...

Cas and his crew of ghost hunters are back in the final book in the Anna Dressed in Blood Duology. Anna sacrificed herself in the last book to save Cas and now he's seeing her everywhere he goes. He thinks something is wrong and she's not where she's suppose to be and has somehow ended up in an evil place instead...

So I never really fell in love with either book but I really liked the characters a lot; enough to see what they were up to in this last book. I would say Cas and Thomas are my favorite characters. Cas has this sassy, sarcastic personality that's pretty hilarious and Thomas is his best friend that can pretty much read minds so he always knows what Cas is thinking. The two of them together really made the story. I listened to the audio version and the narrator is pretty good so you really get the full effect of the personalities of all of the characters. What I really enjoyed the most about this one was when Cas and the rest of his ghost hunter crew traveled to London and then a haunted forest in the Scottish Highlands. I didn't think either book was really scary though. They were both fun and a little creepy here and there so if you're looking for a "keep the lights on" type of book, I would probably choose something else.

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,640,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible