Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake, August Ross (Narrator)

Member:jen.s
Title:Girl of Nightmares
Authors:Kendare Blake
Other authors:August Ross (Narrator)
Info:AudioGO (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***1/2

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (2012)

Ghosts (59)

I need to preface this whole thing by saying if you haven’t read Anna Dressed in Blood go do that now. Seriously, drop everything and go read that book! Also I wouldn’t recommend reading this review before reading the first book. I will try to keep it fairly unspoilery but it is nearly impossible to not give away something from the first book when reviewing the second and final one. So you have been warned.

I LOVE this series. I’m sad it had to end with only two books but maybe it is best to end with a bang then drag it on like certain other series have done. For Girl of Nightmares I give 4 out of 5 stars.

This novel is about Cas’ quest to save Anna from whatever awful place she got stuck in after saving Cas and his friends at the end of the last book. Anna was actually not in much of the book. This was a bit disappointing because I loved Anna. This one did develop the other characters more like Thomas and Carmel as well as focusing on their relationships as a trio with Cas.

The descriptions of ghosts and haunted places was still awesome. The only down side was probably only a downside for someone as crazy nerdy as me. The author moved the suicide forest. The Suicide Forest, or Aokigahara, is a 14 sq mile forest located at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. It is not located near Glasgow, Scotland. You can not just pick up and move an entire forest because it suites your characters needs. I even wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and googled to see if Scotland had anything similar and it does not. Blake would have been better off just creating her own haunted forest with a bunch of ghosts then moving a well known haunted forest to a different country.

That said overall I did enjoy this book, though not as much as I enjoyed the first. Kendare Blake does a great job at creepy descriptions and at developing realistic characters and character relationships. The ghosts descriptions are particularly awesome.

I would recommend this book series for anyone who likes paranormal. It isn’t really scary but it is a great and interesting read and a refreshing book in the haunting/ghost hunter genre. ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 22, 2016 |
The Ghost Hunters are Back! -3.5 stars...

Cas and his crew of ghost hunters are back in the final book in the Anna Dressed in Blood Duology. Anna sacrificed herself in the last book to save Cas and now he's seeing her everywhere he goes. He thinks something is wrong and she's not where she's suppose to be and has somehow ended up in an evil place instead...

So I never really fell in love with either book but I really liked the characters a lot; enough to see what they were up to in this last book. I would say Cas and Thomas are my favorite characters. Cas has this sassy, sarcastic personality that's pretty hilarious and Thomas is his best friend that can pretty much read minds so he always knows what Cas is thinking. The two of them together really made the story. I listened to the audio version and the narrator is pretty good so you really get the full effect of the personalities of all of the characters. What I really enjoyed the most about this one was when Cas and the rest of his ghost hunter crew traveled to London and then a haunted forest in the Scottish Highlands. I didn't think either book was really scary though. They were both fun and a little creepy here and there so if you're looking for a "keep the lights on" type of book, I would probably choose something else.

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I've read Anna in Dressed in blood a while back and really enjoyed it. I started reading the sequel Girl of Nightmares a few weeks ago but had to take a break from it because I actually had a nightmare after reading the first 10 chapters. Yep, I'm such a scaredy-cat, and this isn't my usual cup of tea, but I want to read something different from time to time. Anyway, I managed to finish this book nightmare-free, and though it's not as terrifying and as action-packed as the first book, I'm satisfied with how it ended. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 3, 2016 |
  MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
Certainly not as good as the first book, but it was solidly "good." ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,205,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible