Soul Screamers, Volume One (My Soul to Lose…

Soul Screamers, Volume One (My Soul to Lose / My Soul to Take / My Soul to…

by Rachel Vincent

I'll round up to 4 stars. I gave the prequel a 3 because it was well written and interesting, but almost nothing on it's own. I gave the first book a 4. I enjoyed it. But dropped a star form book 2 because there was so much recap and info-dumping. It's probably easiest to just post the three reviews.

My Soul to Lose
An interesting start to the series. My interest is piqued and I'm curious to see how it progresses, but on it's own it feels incomplete. Nothing is resolved. More questions are presented than answers provided. In fact almost nothing is concluded. I'd call it a prologue to something else, as opposed to a book (or even a story) on it's own. [Plus, having finished books one and two now I can officially say that nothing in it is touched on again. The girl who helps Kaylee never shows up again. That feels like a missed opportunity right there.]

My Soul to Take
I liked it alright. Kaylee was a good, strong heroine. Nash was wonderfully supportive. There were a few good twists. I generally liked most of the characters and it was well written.

The book did have a few irritants though. For one Kaylee was no where near angry enough with her family for lying to her her whole life. No where near angry enough! I felt cheated by her lack of venom. Plus, I still don't understand why they did it. I understand why her father sent her to live with his brother, but why wasn't she told about her heritage? That was never addressed. For another, Nash seemed to have fallen instantly in love with Kaylee. I generally hate insta-love, but that wasn't what this felt like. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll be vague. But, other than their parents, they were the only two of what they were and it felt very much like this was the basis of his infatuation.

Yet another irritant was the fact that even amidst all the new, mind boggling information Kaylee was assimilating we are somehow supposed to believe that she alone noticed the mystery in need of solving. Then, despite the fact that her theory was practically based on fairy dust (i.e., nothing substantial) she was right. I thought the very fact that she knew something was wrong felt almost miraculous.

Lastly, there seemed to be a little bit of a plot hole between the fact that those who claimed the souls of the departed were doing a job they were recruited for, while Kaylee and Nash had a natural-born skill. These two tasks seem to be connected, flip sides of a coin almost. So how is one something you are born to do and the next something you are essentially hired to do? It seems to me that both would either have be natural or not, but how can they be so closely related if they haven't evolved together?

All-in-all I enjoyed the read. I have the next in the series, My Soul to Save, and I'll be reading it next.

My Soul to Save
I'm still enjoying this series. Kaylee is still a wonderfully strong heroine, who depends on her boyfriend a lot, but isn't dependent on him. (If that makes any sense.) I like that. I also really like Tod. He's an interesting character who often brings about thought provoking moral quandaries. I like that too, and the fact that Kaylee (who is usually the decision-maker) doesn't alway do the 'right' thing. It makes for an interesting read. I also just plain like the narrative style. Plus, the unmistakeable similarities between the evil empire (Dekker Inc) and Disney was golden. Golden I say!

Like the first book, however, there are a few aspects of the story that leave me scratching my head. Again Kaylee managed to take some small snippet of information, almost nothing really, and weave a theory around it. Then miraculously succeed with it. This time, based on one overheard sentence, she needed to find one demon of a specific sort, of which there could be many. The first 'person' she asks is able to tell her where he is; he's the right one; they find him immediately and are able to just walk right in and see him. Not to suggest that there were no difficulties, but it all seemed to go a little too easily.

Then there is the basic question of why exactly Kaylee feels like she and she alone has to save everyone? It never seems to occur to her to ask for help. I also had a little trouble grasping the whole drama around being grounded. I probably would have been able to relate to this if I was younger; I admit. But it seemed to me (and Tod apparently) that normal teen drama issues would just get blown off in the face of saving souls and all. On a similar note she seems to accept her father's reappearance and over zealous parenting with ease. Her internal thoughts were often appropriately acerbic, but she never vocalised it. Maybe I'm just mean, but I think after 13 years he deserved a little guilt. I kept waiting for her to finally lay into him and she had plenty of opportunity. But she never did.

My main complaint about this particular book, however, was that the first half was really cluttered with info-dumps and recaps of book one. For a little while it felt like every paragraph had some sort of catch-up clause in it and it really broke up the narrative. I got pretty frustrated with it after a while.

The bottom line, though, is that I basically enjoyed it. If I come across book three at some point I'd be more than happy to give it a read. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Amazing writing. Totally felt like I was drawn into the world of the characters. Reading more for sure. ( )
  EleniK | Dec 25, 2015 |
Read the first book. Will read the second later. ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |

It starts with a scream….

New York Times bestselling author Rachel Vincent's compelling Soul Screamers series keeps getting better—here, for the first time, the original stories are compiled into one special volume….

My Soul to Lose

—The prequel: never before in print!—

Kaylee is just your average girl shopping at the mall with friends—until a terrified scream bursts from her that cannot be stopped. Taken to a hospital ward, will she be able to save her mind—and her life?

My Soul to Take

She's always felt different, but now Kaylee discovers why. The screams that cannot be denied mean that someone near her will die—and she can never save them. Because saving one life means taking another….

My Soul to Save

Going on dates with her boyfriend is still new to Kaylee. But when the singer of the band they're seeing dies onstage and Kaylee doesn't scream, she knows something crazy is going on. Soon she discovers souls can indeed be sold….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:59 -0400)

When Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself with an ability to know when people near her are about to die, she turns to hot senior Nash for help, and together they investigate when several of their classmates die for no apparent reason.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,755,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible