Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder)…

Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder) (edition 2012)

by Linda Castillo

Member:nbmars
Title:Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder)
Authors:Linda Castillo
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:mystery, thriller, fiction, Ohio, crime

Gone Missing by Linda Castillo

Castillo has a smooth way of writing; very believable descriptions and people and places. And she certainly creates suspenseful situations. Major objection is the use of key bad language which, in my opinion, eliminates the book from the teen market ... as well as objectionable to me and my family and the majority of our friends. Why authors feel they need to do this is strange. "But that's the way people talk," is their argument. They may be, but that doesn't excuse the writer who is certainly capable of working around that type of language. The book would have been much better, in my opinion, if she would have avoided this tempting trap. ( )
  repb | Mar 28, 2014 |
A little too much language for me.

I liked the story behind this book the amish adult who left and became police chief.
But I think the story could of been told with less language. The story would of been just as good to me. I will never understand why people beleive that adding vulgar language makes a better story.

I have decided not to read the third book at this time. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is a good series if you enjoy mystery and suspense. A quick read with a good story. In order to really understand the characters and their relationships, you do need to read the other books in the series. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Oct 7, 2013 |
Tension is high in this thriller about missing Amish children. Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is asked to help with the investigation since she used to be Amish. The team, including her friend John Tomasetti, hopes that the Amish will open up to her and provide the police with some much needed leads. It becomes personal to Kate, when her sister’s niece disappears. With cold cases and new ones, time is of the essence. Not all will be saved, but with expectations to crack the case before it is too late for all keeps the team on high alert. Problems arise with false leads and with deciding who is telling the truth and who is hiding behind lies. With well-developed characters and an intricate plot, you won’t put this book down until it’s over. ( )
  Maydacat | May 22, 2013 |
Anyone who has been around for a while knows that I am a fan of Linda Castillo’s Kate Burkholder series (I wrote a glowing review of Breaking Silence late in 2011). For those of you who are new, Linda Castillo writes one novel a year, released around May/June. Her protagonist is Chief of Police Kate Burkholder–Kate was raised in the Amish community of Painter’s Mill and chose to leave the “plain life” when she was a teenager. Her departure from the plain life damaged her reputation within the Amish community, but her understanding of their way of life made her an excellent choice for Chief. Unfortunately, despite their desire to remain isolated, trouble and tragedy plague the Amish community and Gone Missing takes us back into the dark underbelly of the community once more.

Amish teenagers are going missing across Ohio and the only thing they have in common is their desire to leave the plain life. Around the age of 16, Amish teenagers enter a period called rumspringa. While the definition of this period of time differs slightly across communities, it is essentially a period of time when Amish youth can experience things outside their normal lifestyle, such as wearing non-traditional clothing, driving motorised vehicles and drinking alcohol . It’s a rite of passage of adolescence where misbehaviour is overlooked to a certain degree and teenagers ultimately choose whether to be baptised into the church or leave the community. Most Amish teenagers opt for baptism, but that doesn’t rule out some serious mayhem and debauchery during rumspringa.

A Linda Castillo novel would not be complete without Agent John Tomasetti and once the connection is made the disappearing teenagers are Amish, John calls Kate in as a consultant in the hope that her Amish roots will help bridge the gap between the communities and shed some light on the investigation. For the uninitiated, Tomasetti is Kate’s perpetual love interest/achilles’ heel. They developed a more-than-professional relationship in Castillo’s first instalment, Sworn to Silence, and have been navigating the murky waters of colleagues-come-lovers ever since. The case breaks wide open when a young girl, seventeen-year-old Annie King, is reported missing and a pool of blood is located close to where King was last spotted. Up until then, there was no definitive proof that harm had befallen the missing teenagers. With time running out, Kate and Tomasetti go back through the case, with the perennial “there’s something we are missing” train of thought plaguing both agents. When the pieces fall into place, Kate finds herself in a deadly game of cat and mouse with arguably one of the most twisted and shocking killers I’ve come across in a while.

Castillo has demonstrated once again why she is a crime writer with a long and bright future ahead. Although I didn’t find Gone Missing as captivating as some of the previous instalments, I guarantee the ending will chill you to the bone. I dare you to not skip ahead and find out what happens–the last 50-odd pages practically turn themselves. ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |
Becca hatte schon als Kind gewusst, dass ihr Leben einmal tragisch enden würde.

Linda Castillo’s bestselling series has been called “gripping” [People] and “impossible to put down” [Bookpage] and the “teeth chattering suspense” [USA Today] continues with GONE MISSING—a deeply chilling novel about a rite of passage gone horribly wrong.

Rumspringa is the time when Amish teens are allowed to experience life without the rules. It’s an exciting time of personal discovery and growth before committing to the church. But when a young teen disappears without a trace, the carefree fun comes to an abrupt and sinister end, and fear spreads through the community like a contagion.

A missing child is a nightmare to all parents, and never more so than in the Amish community, where family ties run deep. When the search for the presumed runaway turns up a dead body, the case quickly becomes a murder investigation. And chief of Police Kate Burkholder knows that in order to solve this case she will have to call upon everything she has to give not only as a cop, but as a woman whose own Amish roots run deep.

Kate and state agent, John Tomasetti, delve into the lives of the missing teen and discover links to cold cases that may go back years. But will Kate piece together all the parts of this sinister puzzle in time to save the missing teen and the Amish community from a devastating fate? Or will she find herself locked in a fight to the death with a merciless killer?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:56 -0400)

Investigating the disappearance of an Amish teenager, chief of police Kate Burkholder and state agent John Tomasetti stumble on a dead body at the same time another girl goes missing, and later discover sinister links to numerous cold cases.

164 wanted3 pay5 pay

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible