Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder)…

Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder) (edition 2012)

by Linda Castillo

Member:nbmars
Title:Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder)
Authors:Linda Castillo
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:mystery, thriller, fiction, Ohio, crime

Gone Missing by Linda Castillo

Recently added byprivate library, timvim, vickimarie2002, INorris, bookwormamp, PrettyNerdie, gmtn47

I always love a Kate Burkholder story from the first one I read by Linda Castillo. This one was no different. A well-portrayed glimpse into Amish life and their desire to be separate from the English. Unfortunately, they find themselves drawn in by police investigating murders in their community. ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Mar 11, 2015 |
Another in the Kate Burkholder series revolving around her detective abilities, in this story, Amish teens are missing. Some bodies are found, others simply disappear. Castillo does an excellent job of portraying the Amish culture. Because they are a closed group who tend to take care of things themselves, they are reluctant to come forth and ask police to help.

Previously an Amish person, Burkholder knows the culture and is able to communicate with them to her advantage.

With very few clues and a lack of a motive, frustration mounts as more teens become missing.

This is good writing with great character development, and a snapshot of a culture who holds fast to their beliefs and has a very difficult time when their children rebel.

Recommended, with the caveat that these books have a large dose of vivid descriptions of violence. ( )
  Whisper1 | Feb 8, 2015 |
Amish teens keep going missing and it isn't just in Painter's Mills. Kate gets called out of town to try and assist with a teen that has gone missing in another County. She gets to work with her favorite State agent once again Tomasetti, however while she is gone, one of her own goes missing. Kate immediately returns in a panic and it doesn't look good for this teen.

Another great addition to this series, with all the twists and turns in here I really didn't know who the kidnapper was. The saga continues with Kate and Tomasetti. ( )
  MonicaLynn | Feb 7, 2015 |
This was a story about several missing Amish girls and how Chief of Police Kate Burkholder and State Agent John Tomasetti find them. It was my first book by this author. I enjoyed her style of writing and the book had a great suspenseful ending. However, I always find it more difficult to read a book when the victims are children and teens.
  Judy.Welker.Frick | Nov 8, 2014 |
This book is the 4th in a series. I really like the stories and how the author can tell it with such detail and suspense. It did feel a little like same ol' same ol' but I enjoyed it.

In this installment, teenagers from the Amish community keep turning up missing, one after another in a 100 mile radius. Kate is asked by Tomasetti to work on this case of his because of her understanding of the Amish. She becomes attached to the investigation in a way that she never expected and she's forced to keep a level head so she doesn't screw it up.

I must say that at one point, I was at the edge of my seat while reading. I felt like I was running with Kate. And I just love how I'm probably the only one who didn't see the obvious... I was kind of caught off guard at a small revelation at the end of book.

Yes, it's a recommend! ( )
  Sharn | Nov 4, 2014 |
I have been lucky enough to tour with several
of the books in the Kate Burkholder series
and I must say it has been one of the
highlights of my carrer.
I'd like to dedicate this book to the booksellers,
librarians, reviewers, readers, and bloggers
who have attended my events, bought the books,
written reviews, blogged about the books,
and written me to share your thoughts.
I very much appreciate
each and every one of you.
Becca hatte schon als Kind gewusst, dass ihr Leben einmal tragisch enden würde.
Rebecca had always known her life would end in tragedy. (prologue)
My mamm once told me that some places are too beautiful for anything bad to happen. (chapter one)
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Center Point Large Print Edition):

The text of this Large Print edition is unabridged. In other aspects, this book may vary from the original edition.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data are provided.

[noted opposite the title page] This Large Print book carries the seal of approval of N.A.V.H. [National Association for Visually Handicapped]

DUST JACKET'S BACK FLAP INFORMATION:

Books are produced in the United States using U.S.-based materials.

Books are printed using a revolutionary new process called THINKtech(TM) that lowers energy usage by 70% and increases overall quality.

Books are durable and flexible because of smythe-sewing.

Paper is sourced using environmentally responsible foresting methods and the paper is acid-free.

Linda Castillo’s bestselling series has been called “gripping” [People] and “impossible to put down” [Bookpage] and the “teeth chattering suspense” [USA Today] continues with GONE MISSING—a deeply chilling novel about a rite of passage gone horribly wrong.

Rumspringa is the time when Amish teens are allowed to experience life without the rules. It’s an exciting time of personal discovery and growth before committing to the church. But when a young teen disappears without a trace, the carefree fun comes to an abrupt and sinister end, and fear spreads through the community like a contagion.

A missing child is a nightmare to all parents, and never more so than in the Amish community, where family ties run deep. When the search for the presumed runaway turns up a dead body, the case quickly becomes a murder investigation. And chief of Police Kate Burkholder knows that in order to solve this case she will have to call upon everything she has to give not only as a cop, but as a woman whose own Amish roots run deep.

Kate and state agent, John Tomasetti, delve into the lives of the missing teen and discover links to cold cases that may go back years. But will Kate piece together all the parts of this sinister puzzle in time to save the missing teen and the Amish community from a devastating fate? Or will she find herself locked in a fight to the death with a merciless killer?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:07 -0400)

Investigating the disappearance of an Amish teenager, chief of police Kate Burkholder and state agent John Tomasetti stumble on a dead body at the same time another girl goes missing, and later discover sinister links to numerous cold cases.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,141,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible