Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder)…

Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder) (edition 2012)

by Linda Castillo

3202834,663 (3.93)23
Member:nbmars
Title:Gone Missing: A Thriller (Kate Burkholder)
Authors:Linda Castillo
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:mystery, thriller, fiction, Ohio, crime

Gone Missing by Linda Castillo

Kate Burkholder is the Chief of Police of the fictional town of Painters Mill, located in the very real Holmes County, Ohio. She was raised Amish but left the community as a young adult. After some twists and turns, she is now back among the people and family with whom she was raised, though not a part of them. Her relationship provides an interesting subtext that ties all of the books together.

John Tomasetti, also involved in law enforcement as a State Agent, has become more than a friend since he and Kate worked together on a murder case a little over a year ago. Having both experienced tragedy and facing it often in their careers, Kate and John make a good team, both on and off the job. It still surprises Kate when John requests that she join the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI) in Cleveland as a consultant on his latest case where a young Amish girl has gone missing following Rumspringa. She has hardly begun her investigation before she learns that this disappearance is the third and latest to occur over the course of a year. The possibility that the girls had decided to leave the Amish world for that of the English, with its freedoms and temptations, has to be entertained. Yet it's unlikely that any of the girls, let alone all of them, would leave their community and family so abruptly.

Gone Missing is an excellent police detective story containing suspense that’s gritty and unexpected. This novel isn’t for the faint of heart, where some of the realism will make your skin crawl. Linda Castillo very aptly leads the reader down the path of shock and surprise. This is my favorite of the four books I've read in this series and it left me wanting more. This is a series I will definitely keep reading. I've listened to all of them, narrated by Kathleen McInerney, who I think does a wonderful job. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Listening to this series and I complement the reader. The reader can make or break the book when you listen on cd. The mystery is good -keeps you on your toes--although sometimes it is predictable--but I love the stage for the series. I lived in OHIO and recognize and have been to many of the places she refers to. I used to see the Amish all the time. I think Linda is a good Mid-Western small town girl. The writing reflects that. Thank you Linda! ( )
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
I always love a Kate Burkholder story from the first one I read by Linda Castillo. This one was no different. A well-portrayed glimpse into Amish life and their desire to be separate from the English. Unfortunately, they find themselves drawn in by police investigating murders in their community. ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Mar 11, 2015 |
Another in the Kate Burkholder series revolving around her detective abilities, in this story, Amish teens are missing. Some bodies are found, others simply disappear. Castillo does an excellent job of portraying the Amish culture. Because they are a closed group who tend to take care of things themselves, they are reluctant to come forth and ask police to help.

Previously an Amish person, Burkholder knows the culture and is able to communicate with them to her advantage.

With very few clues and a lack of a motive, frustration mounts as more teens become missing.

This is good writing with great character development, and a snapshot of a culture who holds fast to their beliefs and has a very difficult time when their children rebel.

Recommended, with the caveat that these books have a large dose of vivid descriptions of violence. ( )
  Whisper1 | Feb 8, 2015 |
Amish teens keep going missing and it isn't just in Painter's Mills. Kate gets called out of town to try and assist with a teen that has gone missing in another County. She gets to work with her favorite State agent once again Tomasetti, however while she is gone, one of her own goes missing. Kate immediately returns in a panic and it doesn't look good for this teen.

Another great addition to this series, with all the twists and turns in here I really didn't know who the kidnapper was. The saga continues with Kate and Tomasetti. ( )
  MonicaLynn | Feb 7, 2015 |
I have been lucky enough to tour with several
of the books in the Kate Burkholder series
and I must say it has been one of the
highlights of my carrer.
I'd like to dedicate this book to the booksellers,
librarians, reviewers, readers, and bloggers
who have attended my events, bought the books,
written reviews, blogged about the books,
and written me to share your thoughts.
I very much appreciate
each and every one of you.
Becca hatte schon als Kind gewusst, dass ihr Leben einmal tragisch enden würde.
Rebecca had always known her life would end in tragedy. (prologue)
My mamm once told me that some places are too beautiful for anything bad to happen. (chapter one)
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Center Point Large Print Edition):

The text of this Large Print edition is unabridged. In other aspects, this book may vary from the original edition.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data are provided.

[noted opposite the title page] This Large Print book carries the seal of approval of N.A.V.H. [National Association for Visually Handicapped]

DUST JACKET'S BACK FLAP INFORMATION:

Books are produced in the United States using U.S.-based materials.

Books are printed using a revolutionary new process called THINKtech(TM) that lowers energy usage by 70% and increases overall quality.

Books are durable and flexible because of smythe-sewing.

Paper is sourced using environmentally responsible foresting methods and the paper is acid-free.

Linda Castillo’s bestselling series has been called “gripping” [People] and “impossible to put down” [Bookpage] and the “teeth chattering suspense” [USA Today] continues with GONE MISSING—a deeply chilling novel about a rite of passage gone horribly wrong.

Rumspringa is the time when Amish teens are allowed to experience life without the rules. It’s an exciting time of personal discovery and growth before committing to the church. But when a young teen disappears without a trace, the carefree fun comes to an abrupt and sinister end, and fear spreads through the community like a contagion.

A missing child is a nightmare to all parents, and never more so than in the Amish community, where family ties run deep. When the search for the presumed runaway turns up a dead body, the case quickly becomes a murder investigation. And chief of Police Kate Burkholder knows that in order to solve this case she will have to call upon everything she has to give not only as a cop, but as a woman whose own Amish roots run deep.

Kate and state agent, John Tomasetti, delve into the lives of the missing teen and discover links to cold cases that may go back years. But will Kate piece together all the parts of this sinister puzzle in time to save the missing teen and the Amish community from a devastating fate? Or will she find herself locked in a fight to the death with a merciless killer?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:07 -0400)

Investigating the disappearance of an Amish teenager, chief of police Kate Burkholder and state agent John Tomasetti stumble on a dead body at the same time another girl goes missing, and later discover sinister links to numerous cold cases.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,226,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible