Placenta of Love by Spike Marlowe

Placenta of Love

by Spike Marlowe

511,436,638 (4)1

You can read my entire discussion here: http://ireadoddbooks.com/placenta-of-love-by-spike-marlowe/

Review snippet: "This next description was so marvelously horrible to me, just so creepy and magnificent.

He ran his hand across its surface. “So warm,” he whispered. “Warm and soft.” He breathed deeply, his eyes closed. “Raspberries. Like fresh raspberries.” He took off his pirate hat and ran his cheek along the placenta. He smiled; the same smile that had crossed his face when he’d read Helen’s first words.

Holy crap. And I really wonder why this freaks me out. I think it is because I have read too many serial killer books wherein vaginas and uteri are cut out of bodies and kept as trophies. I also just reacted to the notion that an automaton pirate with artificial intelligence is drawn to a disembodied reproductive organ. But in its way, this is perfect. It makes perfect sense that a robot who has created artificial life would feel such a reaction toward an organ that sustains life before it is born. It is also an interesting subversion that Marlowe has her protagonist find something sensual in not even a reproductive organ – he is not caressing a uterus here – but what is essentially a trash organ. He is not interested in a pretty face, enormous breasts, or a round ass. He is drawn immediately to tissues that feed growing life. He wants to insert Helen into this collection of tissues that nourishes.

And it is here, perhaps, that things go terribly wrong for Captain Carl because inserting Helen into that which nourishes embryonic growth causes her to feel terribly empty inside. It was here that Helen became a nagging, horrible, whiny, needy nightmare. But Captain Carl is game. He tolerates her endless whining as she begs to be filled with something, anything, to feel more… something. What Helen wanted sort of failed to register because I was more or less remembering a borderline college roommate of mine who had a similar personality." ( )
  oddbooks | Sep 10, 2012 |

A robo-pirate
Makes a placenta girlfriend.
Disaster ensues.
(yoyogod)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,172,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible