Stay Tuned by Lauren Clark

Stay Tuned

by Lauren Clark

Stay Tuned by Lauren Clark is a refreshing novel that takes a look at the news business. The back cover byline is "What happens when a #1 news team becomes the top story instead of reporting it?" Clark weaves a tale of the news business as she introduces colorful characters, whose lives are just plain messy. Her no nonsense style of writing gets the reader involved in the story from the very beginning. Her descriptive tenedencies draw pictures and scenery as if you were actually watching the six o'clock news, rather than reading about it.

I look forward to reading more of her works. ( )
  brenda.youngerman | Jan 29, 2013 |
Reviewing Stay Tuned was something of a last minute decision. I honestly hadn’t anticipated having time to do it but the more I read about Stay Tuned and Lauren Clark, the more determined I was to make time. I started Stay Tuned this week and picked it up whenever I had a spare moment – and, like with all good novels, very quickly I was making spare moments so I could read. Drinking 10 cups of tea an hour so I could sneak a few pages in while the kettle boiled, overcooking the pasta sauce by ten minutes so I could sneak another chapter or two in, that kind of thing. Well, perhaps not quite so bad but not far off.

Stay Tuned has a great central character who at one point is described as ‘a trooper’. We all know the type (and hands up if you are that type): never say no, would rather go without sleep than let someone down, put their own feelings on the backburner to keep everyone else happy. Melissa is a trooper but she’s also a talented anchor, loving wife and devoted mother who is realising that it’s time the people in her life stood up and noticed her. And not in a ‘aww, she’s so reliable and solid’ kind of way. Cue makeover, growth of a serious backbone and an admirable career growth spurt.

In the space of a few weeks Melissa takes on her workaholic husband, distant mother, demented ex-colleague and ladykiller coworker and faces up to her problems working hard to stick to the mantra ‘Believe in yourself’. Slowly but surely she begins to realise that other people do believe in her but need her to believe in herself as well.

If I had one tiny criticism (well, you know I’m picky), I think the ‘stalker’ scenario in the book could have been drawn out for another few chapters to add a level of tension or intrigue to the book. But is it a dealbreaker? Absolutely not. After all, it isn’t like Melissa and her husband Chris are lacking in drama to cope with!

Stay Tuned is an example of a feel good novel at its best. Lauren Clark’s previous experience in the news industry (see her interview and guest post) help make the details in the novel feel very real and very engaging. Melissa is a character who is easy to identify with and the result is you want to see her tackle things head on and succeed. Is it an ‘everything comes good in the end’ type tale? Is that one of the things that makes it a great read? Of course! Sometimes, especially in the dark winter nights, you need a little something with a happy ending you can see coming. Comfortably predictable is a great way to describe Stay Tuned and as such it’s just what the doctor ordered for your cheery and cozy ‘to be read’ pile. ( )
  donnambr | Jan 12, 2013 |
'Stay Tuned', authored by Lauren Clark, was a quick read because I wanted to find out what happened. It is one of those fiction stories that you think you know what and who did what, only to find out you were wrong. And so was the main character.
It is one of those stories that you know things are put into place to keep you wondering what is really going on. What you think is going on, twists to another direction, so you just have to keep reading to find out the answers.
The main character seems like the average person, no super powers, and even has a lack of self esteem. She holds herself in a box, to remain in her comfort zone. What she becomes is not only due to her self development, but circumstances don't allow for anything but certain changes. She is actually slapped into the forefront position where there are few choices. At least few that are good ones.
She finds out that not all things are what they seem, and her inability to seek truths before assuming is right in line with her self esteem issue. Her coming to grips with her self worth, and the events that lead her there is interesting, but I didn't find it compelling. She was more subdued when I wanted to see her much more determined, but the story line keeps you reading, wondering if she is going to get her strength and determination now, or what was going to happen first.
You can actually feel the character grappling with her desires against her feeling that she is deserving of them. Had the events not transpired, I don't think things would have changed for this character emotionally. She doesn't have much support, since it seemed like she let things slip away, while life kept marching on. Again, the events led her in directions that forced her to make changes to not only better her own life, but those around her as well.
This story was interesting but I kept thinking something much bigger was going to happen, and kept reading thinking it was just around the corner. Things did keep happening, and who did what and why is not always what you thought. So what I thought was going to happen, didn't. What did happen was a tame to me, but fit and was needed by the character.
Her development throughout the story was with impact from numerous sources. As you wonder what you would do in that situation, you are content and even proud of how she handled it.
It is a nice story, and worth the read. You never know, you might see some of yourself there as well. ( )
  colleenmbratley | Sep 19, 2012 |
What I enjoyed about this book was the fact that the main character was closer to my age than a lot of protagonists tend to be. I could definitely relate to her life situations, and it was nice to read about a married woman as well.

Although the book started off well, I soon lost interest. The plot moved way too slowly, and the storyline wobbled quite a bit. For some reason, I thought started out as a mystery, but it wasn't a mystery. Then it seemed like a romance. Nope, wrong again. It was more of a slice of life story. The problem was that the life wasn't very interesting.

I think this book would do really well with certain readers who enjoy slice of life stories with happily-ever-after endings. However, for me, without more of a mystery or a romance, I found it kind of meh.

Lauren Clark is a solid writer, but I probably won't be reading any more of her books. ( )
  mscott1 | Jul 15, 2012 |
Back in high school I had wanted to be a journalist (and maybe even a reporter) so this book stood out to me. It follows Melissa, a news producer who finds herself filling in as a news anchor. I felt that Melissa was likeable and I loved her friendship with Candace. The only character I had any problem with was Alyssa. I didn't feel like her slide into insanity was believable. I thought the ending was sweet but a little predictable. Overall I thought the book was good and I would recommend it to others. ( )
  dpappas | Feb 17, 2012 |

Deadlines, Divas, & Danger:  Behind the Scenes in the TV News Biz
For TV producer Melissa Moore, crisis management comes with the job. From employee disputes to her high-maintenance boss, there's not much she hasn't seen or can't handle. But no one--including Melissa--expects a fistfight during the ten o'clock news. When sexy-but-crazy Alyssa Andrews lands a punch on her co-anchor's face, Melissa jumps on set to help. She's determined that WSGA's reputation won't be destroyed on her watch. Both anchors are fired and Melissa agrees to fill in--but not before polishing her look from haircut to heels. While the new Melissa wows WSGA viewers, her personal life starts fraying at the edges. Melissa's husband is away more than he's home, leaving cryptic Post-it notes in his wake. Her mother's antics spiral out of control at the nursing home and a stalker decides Melissa is her next target. What happens next? Stay Tuned to find out...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:39 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lauren Clark's book Stay Tuned was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible