Flora's Fury: How a Girl of Spirit and…

Flora's Fury: How a Girl of Spirit and a Red Dog Confound Their…

by Ysabeau S. Wilce

Please write another one!!! I love these books! We need to find out what happens in Califa and with Udo and Tharyn and Flora Primera... ( )
  irishred5 | Apr 30, 2016 |
Flora goes in search of her childhood hero, Tiny Doom, in hopes that she will be able to lead the rebellion against the Birdies. Along the way, Flora falls in with a were-bear and falls out with her vainglorious friend Udo.

I felt like it took forever to get Flora to Fort Stompy (or whatever it's called), and the introduction of Flora Primera in the last chapter of this book made me feel like this whole book was just setting up the characters for much more exciting and explosive adventures in the next book. The plot was just too episodic, and Flora doesn't have much impact or insight into the much more interesting and world-shaking subterfuge going on around her. Plus, Flora is brave but often stupid. I lost count of the number of times she spurned good advice and help in favor of her own terrible plans. It makes her a realistic teenager, but frustrating to read! So I gave this four stars for the characters (who remain fantastic) and the magic systems and world-building (which are the most extravagently enjoyable of any fantasy book I've read in years). ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This world is so awesomely strange - Its a strange mix of mexican culture, Native American Culture, and Aztec Culture - re-imagined in a fantasy world set in what is California.

This book is a different book than the previous few - its about Flora growing up, figuring out who to trust, she looses her innocence about the world. This isn't a bad thing, but sad. More of the world is explained - from the story behind Flora and her mother, Buck- who isn't rolling over quite as expected.

One of the interesting thing is this world, women are equal to men. Buck, for example is a leading general for army, and also nursing a small baby. No one even bats an eye at this. Flora's best friend has three parents.

Its nice to see a book where the heroine isn't always successful. This book sees Flora doing her thing, but not fitting in with any of the other characters. This doesn't always go well for Flora. But, Flora from her mistake, and does a lot of growing up in this story.

I highly recommend this book, but read the previous two books in the series first! ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 21, 2015 |
I hate giving a 4 to a Flora book - the Flora Trilogy is honestly one of the best (if not the best! - it may be tied with Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series for that spot) YA has to offer, but the plot pacing in this one seemed so uneven!
Wilce always ties things up nicely, and we can always tell she really thought everything through, but there were parts that really dragged in there. I'm probably being extremely unfair, any other book like this would have gotten a 5 from me, but if I compare this one to the previous ones, it's a 4.

Still, it was great, I can't recommend this series enough! And I do hope there'll be more to come. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
Ms. Wilce, one note--it's "flibbertigibbet" not "flipperdegibbet" but otherwise, quite well done. I'm looking forward to #4.

P.S. Please try not to take four years to write the next one, mmkay? ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015205409X, Hardcover)

Despite her troublesome attraction to magick, Flora has more or less spent her life
doing what’s been expected of her. Now, at sixteen, she knows that this path has
been strewn with secrets. Sure that her true mother, Tiny Doom—long believed to be
dead—is alive, Flora becomes determined to find her and leave behind the lies she’s
been told about who she is. Flora’s quest takes her on a journey from lawless islands to
the deadly desert, and into an unexpected romance with a brooding stranger who reveals
himself to be a kindred spirit. And it all becomes far more dangerous when Flora
realizes how desperately their enemies want Tiny Doom—and Flora herself—dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:33 -0400)

Determined to find her true mother, Flora Fyrdraaca, accompanied by her red dog, embarks on a journey filled with magical encounters, pirate battles, and unexpected romance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,468,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible