Magic's Poison by Gillian Bradshaw

Magic's Poison

by Gillian Bradshaw

91950,433 (3.33)None

Magic's Poison is enjoyable -- not as good as Bradshaw's historical fiction, and with a predictable romance subplot that didn't do much for me, but it's a fun read. The set up of this fantasy world isn't particularly special; I'm sure I can think of plenty of things comparable in the way the social structure is set up, the way magic is handled, the idea of magic (or something connected to magic) as an addiction, the idea of that addiction as something that corrupts... the snake people, too, seemed familiar -- I think I'm thinking of Raymond E. Feist?

But, it's how Bradshaw pulls everything together that makes it interesting. The snake people aren't evil, the stupid prince seems to be just stupid rather than malevolent, the capable and kind duke doesn't get set up to rule the kingdom because he's capable and kind, as if that's a good excuse to depose someone. I wasn't sure about the story at first, and I do think some parts dragged on unnecessarily, but all in all, I'm glad I read it.

I'm interested to see what the other books in this series are like -- I think they're all linked, though I bought them so long ago I can't remember the summaries and how closely they're linked. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 26, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible