The Last Call (Bill Travis Mysteries, #1) by…

The Last Call (Bill Travis Mysteries, #1) (2011)

by George Wier

It is a mid-life crisis that leads Bill Travis down the road of this mystery. Fast read, well-paced. The characters were a little over the top but a mid-life crisis could do that to anyone. Memorable. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 27, 2016 |
Wow, I can't wait to read more about Bill Travis! ( )
  Max_E._Stone | Jul 13, 2016 |
Pretty poor effort ( )
  onemack | Aug 18, 2015 |
Bill Travis is hmmm. I guess the best way to describe him is a PI but helps people more to obtain favors. book really didn't describe how income is generated which was a problem for me. Very fun read though -- this was a free kindle download, so I couldn't go wrong. Will it entice me to run out and buy more titles by this author? Not particularly, but if I see another Bill Travis mystery on the bargain shelf I'd pick it up. ( )
1 vote skraft001 | Jun 25, 2014 |
I am 51 now and I suppose I really ought to know better! Once again I succumbed to the lure of the cheap offers in the Kindle Store and, like the reckless treasure hunter at the end of 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade', I chose poorly. Let's be honest, there is normally a reason why those books cost just 29 pence. This one was still a rip-off, even at that price!

A few years ago I stubbed my toe, breaking it, and spent several hours incapable of wrenching my mind away from the self-inflicted pain. Reading this novel was very reminiscent of that evening!

Feeble plot, implausible characters (particularly Bill Travis, the protagonist.narrator) and impenetrable prose. ( )
2 vote Eyejaybee | May 21, 2014 |

The Last Call starts with a protagonist on the edge of an impending midlife crisis. Add a blond and an old friend with a fetish for high explosives, and you have the kickoff of a first- rate crime novel. George Wier writes with wit, verve, and a gut-bucket knowledge of Texas and those who people its quirky underside. This book does not disappoint. --Milton T. Burton, author of Nights of the Red Moon and The Rogue's Game. George Wier's The Last Call has it all: a great setting, characters you care about, a little Texas history, and a twisty plot that's built Texas tough. Get it before last call! --Bill Crider, author of Murder In the Air. Bill Travis believes that he may not live the most exciting of lives, yet when Julie Simmons steals two million dollars from North Texas quarter horse racer and illegal liquor baron Archie Carpin, the last of a dynasty of criminals from the 1920's, thus ensues a chase across the Lone Star State to recover the money. Carpin's cohorts may seem simple-minded, yet their penchant for sniper rifles and high-explosives makes for a reckless and deadly quarry. Yet, through all this action the compelling tale of another mystery--the 80-year unclosed missing-persons file of a U.S. Marshall--begins to unravel. George Wier has been writing for over twenty-five years. His most recent publishing credits include a contribution to Lone Star Noir (Akashic Books 2010). He lives in Austin, Texas with his lovely wife, Sallie.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,975,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible