Double Dead (Tomes of The Dead) by Chuck…

Double Dead (Tomes of The Dead)

by Chuck Wendig

Pretty fun read. the ending builds up nicely. Only real criticism is that it slowed a bit in places and I never really understood why one of the characters could put herself in other people's dreams... ( )
  MarkTJones | Mar 30, 2013 |
--Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog--

Well this was a book that first found about on Civilian Reader blog. When got around to reading the review at the blog couldn't hold myself back in not getting it. So in a very quick manner bought it off Amazon.com. The premise sounded fun where Horror is concerned and also the idea of zombies outrunning humanity so only a few survivors remained then by a strange twist of fate a vampire awoke to a zombie apocalypse that resulted in him fighting for a limited food supply. This has to make anyone who reads zombie books to salivate after all its a really new, interesting take.
In any case, it did for me since never heard or thought about zombies having to compete for food. The world of books is fast becoming filled with stories of zombies and Double Dead impresses with its huge uniqueness that's a loaded gun of gore with a generous amount of suspenseful action.
The character develompment is something that is inded great. Coburn is a rather glum figure in Double Dead who's the main character and yes a vampire. He views humans nothing more as food and takes to often being snide which though you know its something as mean-spirited also in this instance is actually amusing:

He and Creampuff hid amongst a nest of dry reeds, watching.
A fat man came out of the camper, a windbreaker as big as a four-person tent dvaped across his body. Coburn marveled at the man's size Here it was, the end of the world, the gates of Hell ripped open so that all of its rotting souls could come tumbling out, and this is shit-heel somehow managed to remain morbidly obese.
But hey, the vampire thought who cares Big boy means big blood. Buckets of the stuff. Gallons . HIs toes curled just thinking about it.

As the book moves forward it reaches somewhat of a dull hopeless tone with what's going on and how the world is being taken over by zombies. Coburn finds that there may be real hope to humanity with , Kayla, who may be some kind of cure to the zombie apocalypse. Chuck Wendig did an amazing job with humour in his writing even when we are talking about a zombie apocalypse here. As for the writing he made every moment intriguing in the way he maintained a steady clip of movement in the story that immerses every instant.

Really happy that discovered Chuck Wendig's Double Dead and even now looking forward to discovering his other novels as well. One in particular Blackbirds which luckily was allowed to review this title by Netgalley. And expect a review for Blackbirds too. Double Dead is an amazing read in the growing reading pile of vampires and zombies with a brand-new incorporation.
Overall: Amazing read!
Genre: Horror, Zombies, Vampires ( )
  Cassandrabookblogger | Sep 7, 2012 |
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/01/review-double-dead-tomes-of-the-dead-by-chu...

So, you’re a dessicated vampire (that’s gone without blood for years, and has been in a kind of stasis) that comes to in the middle of an abandoned theatre with zombies nomming on, well, everything living. What do you do? You need to get blood, right? Our vamp, Coburn, attempts to do just that, but when he bites into one of the zombies, he quickly realizes that zombie blood is bad for his health. Well then, it’s time to find some of the living, yes?

After heading outside and realizing that the world has pretty much gone to hell, and tangling with some of the living dead, he comes across a group of survivors. Food! Not so fast. Key among this group is a 15 year old girl named Kayla, who’s not about to have Coburn feeding off her father and her friends, so she strikes an unlikely deal with the vampire. Coburn protects the group from cannibals (we’ll get to that), and other baddies, and they’ll make sure he gets to feed. Sounds pretty straightforward, right? Yeah, not so much…

Coburn the vampire is a foul mouthed, hedonistic, arrogant, self-centered son of a bitch, and he knows this, so how the hell he let this kid talk him into this deal, he’s not sure, but he is hungry, and he could use a place to crash, so he hops on board the RV that our little ragtag group has commandeered. What follows is a pretty wild ride through a destroyed American landscape populated with things much, much worse than the walking dead.

Double Dead is a terrifying, violent, American road trip through zombie hell. Wendig throws in a cannibalistic group that brings to mind something right out of Rob Zombie’s worst nightmares, zombies out the wazoo (of course), a military compound taken over by trigger happy yahoos dressed like clowns (I kept picturing Killer Clowns From Outer Space), and some hybrid creatures that will make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up. The author spares no gruesome detail, but lest the word “gratuitous” start floating around in your mind, it’s really…not. The gore is necessary to the story and it’s tempered with a fair amount of black humor. Aside from the flying body parts and decapitations, it has probably one of the grossest (yet creative) vampire feeding scenes that I think I’ve ever read (seriously, *shudder*.) Double Dead made me laugh and cringe in equal measure, and I couldn’t put it down. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it does have heart. Yep, this gritty, gross, blood drenched vamp/zombie fest has a heart. I certainly didn’t expect to develop a certain amount of grudging affection for Coburn (and his little dog Creampuff), but I did! There’s also something special about our Kayla, but I’m not going to give away that secret. It’s just part of the awesome that is this book.

The author credits Robert McCammon (one of my all-time fave authors) at the end of the book as inspiration, and I can certainly see shades of Swan Song in Double Dead. Amongst the horror, there are themes of loyalty, redemption, and even love that the author manages to weave in with an expert hand. Chuck Wendig has one sick, twisted imagination, but in his case, it’s a talent, and he poured that talent into this kick ass vampire/zombie apocalypse tale. Crisp writing, bullet fast pacing, and twists that I didn’t see coming make this one a can’t-miss for horror/zombie fans. The damn thing even made me cry. Seriously. If you’re in the mood for something a little different, a little sick (ok, maybe more than a little), a little funny, and a lot awesome, pick up Double Dead, and get your freak on, yeah? ( )
  MyBookishWays | Jan 27, 2012 |
I came across this book in B&N and after reading the back blurb I decided to give it a try. What a great find! I loved the crossover of vampire and zombies. I could not put it down, and 'gulped' it up in two days. What would a vampire do in a zombie apocalypse? I could literally envision being in this world taken along for the ride next to a bad a@@ vampire. I look forward to the next book by this author! ( )
  LeleliaSky | Dec 28, 2011 |

"Coburn's been dead now for close to a century, but seeing as how he's a vampire and all, it doesn't much bother him. Or at least it didn't, not until he awoke from a forced five-year slumber to discover that most of human civilization was now dead - but not dead like him, oh no. See, Coburn likes blood. The rest of the walking dead, they like flesh. He's smart. Them, not so much. But they outnumber him by about a million to one. And the clotted blood of the walking dead cannot sustain him. Now he's starving. And on the run. And more pissed-off than a bee-stung rattlesnake. The vampire not only has to find human survivors (with their sweet, sweet blood), but now he has to transition from predator to protector: after all, a man has to look after his food supply."--P.[4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible