The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy…

The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy 1) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Adrian McKinty

Title:The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy 1)
Authors:Adrian McKinty
Info:Serpent's Tail (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Ireland

The Cold, Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty (2012)

English (19)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (21)
Please read my belated full review here: http://realbooks4ever.tumblr.com/post/121514247484 ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Another rollicking read from Adrian McKinty, who captures the grit and humor and sucks you into the story like few others.
Can't wait to get to the next in the series. ( )
  mhanlon | Sep 25, 2015 |
A cracking read, that captures the tensions and drama of the Belfast environment in the early 1980s. A smart but human detective follows a hunch, but everyone he speaks to has something to hide. Sure, it's formula fiction - but it's sure-footed and well-written, and compelling reading. ( )
  AmberMcWilliams | Sep 1, 2015 |
THE COLD, COLD GROUND is Book #1 in Adrian McKinty’s The Troubles Trilogy. It is a Detective Sean Duffy novel.
The locale is Northern Ireland in the 1980s with real events woven into the narrative.
The title opens with Sean Duffy (a Catholic in the RUC - Royal Ulster Constabulary - in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland) working riot duty in the aftermath of Bobby Sands’s death in the Maze Prison. “Bobby Sands was the maitreya, the world teacher, the martyr who would redeem mankind through his suffering.” (Powerful musings from our Sean.)
The title is intermixed with hopelessness, violent current events, and thoughtful, classical, philosophical and articulate musings by Sean.
Sean Duffy is a melancholy character; angry, yet thoughtful and intelligent. He is likeable, interesting, yet immoral. He is ‘quite the talker’ and can often manipulate situations. He feels trapped and finds it hard to believe his own philosophy of serving in the RUC - that he can achieve some good, some positive balance or example in spite of his surroundings.
Sean, not surprisingly, has very bad (sometimes comical) luck with women. He never gets into his car before checking for bombs underneath.
The character of Sean Duffy is an unforgettable one. I read all 3 books in the trilogy, plus a new 4th Sean Duffy title in less than 2 weeks. I couldn’t let him (and his musings) go.
The characters and events were intriguing.
The real main character was the rain.
I would highly recommend all the ‘Troubles Trilogy’ titles - COLD, COLD GROUND, I HEAR THE SIRENS IN THE STREET and IN THE MORNING I’LL BE GONE. THE GUN STREET GIIRL is a Detective Sean Duffy, also.
With very thoughtful, intricate characterizations, an unforgettable sense of place, and compelling mysteries - this series is impossible not to like. The locale, the people and events (true and fictional) will stay with you long after the reading is finished. ( )
  diana.hauser | May 4, 2015 |
Okay... I got this series mixed up with Stuart Neville's... at first I thought it might have been only because they are both set in Ireland but... I think the main characters are similar as well, and the books have a noir tone to them.

That being said, this is an interesting and engaging series, even though it is a bit thick with Irish politics and the "Troubles" which are foreign to someone of my age and nationality. I am vaguely aware of the circumstances of Ireland in the 80s, but never lived them, so the stage set for this story was not at all familiar to me.

So, while some reviewers had a little rant about the veracity of some of the author's settings, I didn't read this book for historical accuracy and am okay not knowing any better. And I have no idea why some readers found the author's writing style or language choices to be pretentious... maybe they were reading it as a literary exploration of Ireland during the 80s and saw things in it that weren't really there?

Fortunately, I read it hoping it was a noir detective story... and that's exactly what it is. It is dark and violent and a bit confusing as to what motivated people to behave the way they did, but that's what makes it worth reading - to figure it out. I bought the rest of the series as soon as I finished this one. ( )
1 vote crazybatcow | Mar 18, 2015 |
It is rumoured that after concluding his song about
the war in Ilium, Homer sang next of the war
between frogs and rats.
              -Jorge Luis Borges, "The Immortal," 1949
The riot had taken on a beauty of its own now.

In a 1981 Northern Ireland rife with sectarian violence, Catholic detective Sean Duffy investigates a serial killer who is targeting gay men--a series of murders that may have political implications as well.

64 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible