The Metamorphosis [Norton Critical Edition]…

The Metamorphosis [Norton Critical Edition] (1915)

by Franz Kafka, Stanley Corngold (Editor)

Other authors: Mark M. Anderson (Contributor), Hartmut Binder (Contributor), Iris Bruce (Contributor), Stanley Corngold (Contributor), Stanley Corngold (Translator)4 more, Gustav Janouch (Contributor), Eric Santner (Contributor), Nina Pelikan Straus (Contributor), Kevin W. Sweeney (Contributor)

Series: Norton Critical Editions

I understand this short novella to be a classic of 20th-century literature and pivotal to existentialism, but having just finished the book - I don't get it. The story itself is interesting, with a young man awaking to discover himself to now be a giant insect and the descriptive details of how he manages to get himself out of bed and such. But as to the larger themes, I'm somewhat at a loss (maybe that's the point?). I realize there are pages of analysis available out there and while I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others in my book group, this classic left me with few strong feelings. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Mar 23, 2018 |
This book contained more criticism than it did story, but the story itself was quite engaging. It was fascinating to see the character metamorphosis of each family member as a result of Gregor's change, making it impossible to say which family member would be considered the most vermin-like. The reader's sympathy is with Gregor for the entire story. It was certainly memorable. ( )
  karmiel | Aug 12, 2015 |
Disappointed ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jun 2, 2015 |
The Norton Critical Edition of this is great, as the Norton editions tend to be: it contains the story itself with a preface, Kafka's own writing about the story, and a range of critical material as well.

The story itself, well -- more or less as I expected. The impact is somewhat spoilt by the fact that I already knew the story and themes -- I felt like I'd read it without ever reading it. Still, it's well written -- I love the bizarre fixation the main character has with going to work despite the fact that he's, you know, a giant bug.

I'm pretty sure I have nothing new to say about this. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Janouch, GustavContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santner, EricContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straus, Nina PelikanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweeney, Kevin W.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This LT Work is the Norton Critical Edition of Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. As such, it includes substantial material in addition to Kafka's original Work. According to standing LT practice, please do not combine this Norton Critical Edition with other editions containing The Metamorphosis.

NOTE: If your record is included here and is an NCE, please check that your ISBN is correct for the NCE. If your record is included here and is NOT an NCE, please adjust the title, separate your record, and recombine with the separate combination of an appropriate edition.

Thank you.

Franz Kafka's 1915 masterpiece is presented in this Norton Critical Edition in the acclaimed translation by Stanley Corngold based on the definitive German edition.

The novella is fully annotated and is accompanied by selected textual variants. Backgrounds and Contexts introduces readers to The Metamorphosis in the richest possible setting. The links between the author's life and his work are explored through an examination of his personal writings. Kafka's letters and diary entries illuminate the creative process behind his portrait of Gregor Samsa, his family, and their nightmarish ordeal. Criticism collects seven essays from the period 1970-95 representing the most important currents in literary theory—semiotics, feminism, identity philosophy, New Historicism, and post-Freudian cultural psychoanalysis. The essays offer a variety of perspectives on the novella by Iris Bruce, Nina Pelikan Straus, Kevin W. Sweeney, Mark Anderson, Hartmut Binder, Eric Santner, and Stanley Corngold. A Chronology and Selected Bibliography are also included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

A novel about a man who finds himself transformed into a huge insect, and the effects of this change upon his life.

Legacy Library: Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Franz Kafka's legacy profile.

See Franz Kafka's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,457,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible