Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

Unbreak My Heart

by Melissa Walker

full review soon!
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I chose to put this book on my wishlist immediately because I wanted to connect so badly to a young adult contemporary novel. I haven’t found a good one with a strong female lead since Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. The synopsis sounded so great.

Unbreak My Heart is an accurate portrayal of a 16 year old’s life. At least, of my life when I was that age. I treated my little sister the same way, except probably a little more harshly. It made me want to cry from the beginning, the descriptions were so spot on, with the exception of boating.

Clementine has a broken heart from falling in love with her best friend’s boyfriend and is the only one of the two accused of being in the wrong. She is then dragged out for a whole summer’s worth of vacation on her family’s boat. While discovering her feelings towards her broken friendship in her journal, she bumps into a cute boy named James. Of course, things are awkward because they are teenagers, but they help each other find happiness and understand that they are not the only ones who feel sadness and that you can't let your emotions get the better of you.

I didn't find Clementine annoying, even though she constantly thought about herself and wrote everything down in her diary. I found it to be an accurate portrayal of how a young teen thinks about the world and her family and friends. Unbreak My Heart was exactly what I needed to be reminded of my life as a teenager. It probably sounds dumb to people that don’t see the appeal in older people reading young adult books, but sometimes it is nice to be reminded of what it was like to be that young and remember old feelings.

This was such a cute, fun, fast read. Perfect for the summer! ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |
This was a poignant exploration of mistakes of the heart and mind. The main character, Clementine, must come to grips with the pain she caused herself and her best friend. The process takes us back and forth between the acts that caused the broken heart and the present that is helping to heal it.

I love that the book pays homage to family and new friends as the catalyst for her healing process. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

This was such a cute, fun, fast read. Perfect for the summer! ( )
  MakaelaT | Dec 15, 2013 |
Review from ARC from NetGalley

Not as predictable as it could have been. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |

Taking the family sailboat on a summer-long trip excites everyone except sixteen-year-old Clementine, who feels stranded with her parents and younger sister and guilty over a falling-out with her best friend.

Melissa Walker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible