Chiefs (Will Lee Novel) by Stuart Woods

Chiefs (Will Lee Novel) (original 1981; edition 2005)

by Stuart Woods

Series: Will Lee (1)

Member:johntgriffin
Title:Chiefs (Will Lee Novel)
Authors:Stuart Woods
Info:Signet (2005), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:signed

Chiefs by Stuart Woods (1981)

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Shades of John Grisham at his best. A captivating and unique combination of murder mystery, police procedural, political intrigue, small-town memoir, civil rights shocker, and multi-generational story of friendship and brotherhood.

Luckily I had forgotten my commitment to never read Stuart Woods again when I picked this one up. It is hard to believe the same author is responsible for the dross I had read before (Capital Crimes - #6 in the Will Lee series).

So now I am conflicted: unable to decide whether I should give #2 in the series a chance... ( )
  pratalife | Feb 9, 2014 |
Multigenerational 20th century story of a small town in Georgia. I was captivated from the first and couldn't wait for the next chapter. Told through the eyes of three police chiefs, it's the story of change in the south...with a dark side. ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 16, 2013 |
I really don't know why I continued to listen to this for 18 hours! it was about three chiefs of police and the intertwined lives of a small town in Georgia and a serial killer. ( )
  afarrington | Mar 1, 2012 |
Mark Hammer, the reader, is wonderful. This was a good yarn. I thoroughly enjoyed it and even found myself buying fast food lunches to eat in the truck so that I could keep listening. ( )
  gmillar | Sep 9, 2011 |
Written beautifully and definitely worth your time, this book by Stuart Woods takes place in Georgia and spans the time from the 1920's to 1960's. It is a well told story about the police chiefs who are appointed in Delano, Georgia and the surrounding area over a period of many years. The book incorporates commentary about race relations and explores Southern culture and all this occurs while murders are being investigated. I loved this book! ( )
  barb302 | Jun 14, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045121580X, Mass Market Paperback)

Stuart Woods' Edgar(r) Award-winning novel spans fifty years of racial tension, politics, and murder in the small Southern town of Delano, Georgia, where a depraved killer claims his innocent victims even as three very different generations of policemen seek to stop him.
For the people of Delano, Georgia, 1920 was a landmark year. That winter they elected their first police chief, built the first jail. . .and discovered the first body -- the naked, brutalized corpse o a young boy. So began a forty-year manhunt that would embroil three generations of small-town police chiefs in the dark, twisted secrets of their sleepy, God-fearing community -- and expose a seamy underbelly of hatred, corruption, and perversion too terrible to imagine. . .and too virulent to ignore.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:46 -0400)

Three small town police chiefs - a farmer, a sadistic racist, and a black - must deal with the same case of the disapearance and murder of white, teenaged boys over the course of 40 years. The mystery is played against the South in transition.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,208,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible