Chiefs (Will Lee Novel) by Stuart Woods

Chiefs (Will Lee Novel) (original 1981; edition 2005)

by Stuart Woods

Series: Will Lee (1)

Member:johntgriffin
Title:Chiefs (Will Lee Novel)
Authors:Stuart Woods
Info:Signet (2005), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:signed

Chiefs by Stuart Woods (1981)

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
My father was blind and in the 1980s read books on a cassette player. I was visiting one summer and he and my mother sat at the kitchen table reading this book. I joined them and was entertained, but sometime around midnight chose to go to bed. I woke up very early the next morning to find them still sitting at the kitchen table, having listened to the book throughout the night. This time around I didn't find it as absorbing as they did, but it is still a taut-paced story with a lot to interest the reader. A great summer read! ( )
  PatsyMurray | Jul 9, 2016 |
This is one of my favorite books. It's Stuart Woods' best novel. The characters are so very human. At some points, I wanted to yell, "look out!" Intensely suspenseful. This is a rare instance in which the TV miniseries only varies from the novel in one aspect. The first sheriff bought life insurance for a nickel, in the miniseries, he paid a dime. But read the book! ( )
  BonitaMartin | Jun 25, 2016 |
One of the rare beach books that don't insult the reader's intelligence, Chiefs is thoughtful as well as entertaining. (It is my understanding that Stuart Woods' writing suffered a steep decline after this very promising debut, but I can't comment on that since I haven't read any of his other novels. In this book he demonstrates an uncommonly good ear for Deep Southern dialects.) It's the story of three generations of police chiefs in the fictional town of Delano, Georgia, which for decades is haunted by a series of unsolved serial murders. Further defying the odds, Chiefs was the basis for an exceptional TV miniseries--starring Charlton Heston, Wayne Rogers and Keith Carradine--in 1983.
A minor classic. ( )
  Jonathan_M | Apr 15, 2016 |
Audible. Story of three generations of sheriffs in a small southern town. Starts in early 20th, ends just before the assassination of John Kennedy. All three sheriffs almost catch a serial killer, but the first two die first. Takes up the story of integration in the south through the stories. Not a great book but well done a enjoyable. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
Absorbing. Southern police & personalities.
Noted during my 1980's attempt to read every book in my small town library. ( )
  juniperSun | Dec 5, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045121580X, Mass Market Paperback)

Stuart Woods' Edgar(r) Award-winning novel spans fifty years of racial tension, politics, and murder in the small Southern town of Delano, Georgia, where a depraved killer claims his innocent victims even as three very different generations of policemen seek to stop him.
For the people of Delano, Georgia, 1920 was a landmark year. That winter they elected their first police chief, built the first jail. . .and discovered the first body -- the naked, brutalized corpse o a young boy. So began a forty-year manhunt that would embroil three generations of small-town police chiefs in the dark, twisted secrets of their sleepy, God-fearing community -- and expose a seamy underbelly of hatred, corruption, and perversion too terrible to imagine. . .and too virulent to ignore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:48 -0400)

When a teenaged boy is found dead, the chief of police in a small Georgia town in 1920 begins an obsessive hunt for the boy's tormentor, which leads him to two former chiefs of police, one a murderer and the other the concealer of a secret.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,364,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible