In the Bleak Midwinter: A Clare…

In the Bleak Midwinter: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alsyne Novel (Russ Van… (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Member:Barbara.Franzosa
Title:In the Bleak Midwinter: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alsyne Novel (Russ Van Alstyne and Clare Fergusson)
Authors:Julia Spencer-Fleming
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming (2002)

English (108)  German (1)  All languages (109)
Highly reader-rated, highly awarded debut but I was most uncomfortable with the relationship between the priest and the (married) police chief. AND I guessed the murderer chapters before the reveal, and then the actions of the actions of the protagonists seemed foolish. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Sep 18, 2018 |
Read review of book 7? for my thoughts on the series (I really liked them). I will read everything Spencer Fleming writes, even the edited pages she sent as a reader giveaway. ( )
  JSpilman | Apr 16, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  LynneCatherine | Mar 21, 2018 |
I waffled for quite a while between 3½ and 4 stars for this audiobook. Suzanne Toran does a great narration (once I understood that Clare was from Virginia). I loved the setting (which reminded me of my grandparents' home in the Finger Lake region of upstate NY).

However, I had some problems with Clare as the book progressed. She is new to winter in a northern climate but insists to herself for quite a long time that people's suggestions that, for example, her coat or her car is inappropriate for the area are about image rather than practicality so 'she'll show them'. She tells parishioners things she should be telling the police and she believes everything everyone tells her. Despite all that, I did like her and Russ's interactions and will read the next one. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 8, 2018 |
A very good murder mystery! The first of a series involving a female Episcopalian priest and a police detective, the author has created an interesting dynamic between characters, along with spinning a good tale. Looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  hemlokgang | Feb 11, 2018 |

Spencer-Fleming, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dimsdale, EdCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trossbach, StefanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories.
--Delmer Daves and Leo McCary
To Leslie
It was one hell of a night to throw away a baby.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312986769, Mass Market Paperback)

Heavy Snow...Icy Desires...Cold-Blooded Murder

Clare Fergusson, St. Alban's new priest, fits like a square peg in the conservative Episcopal parish at Millers Kill, New York. She is not just a "lady," she's a tough ex-Army chopper pilot, and nobody's fool. Then a newborn infant left at the church door brings her together with the town's police chief, Russ Van Alstyne, who's also ex-Army and a cynical good shepherd for the stray sheep of his hometown. Their search for the baby's mother quickly leads them into the secrets that shadow Millers Kill like the ever-present Adirondacks. What they discover is a world of trouble, an attraction to each other—and murder...

In the Bleak Midwinter was Julia Spencer-Fleming's first novel, and it won a Macavity Award, an Agatha Award, an Anthony Award, and a Dilys Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:11 -0400)

"Clare Fergusson, the new priest at St. Alban's stands out in the conservative Episcopal parish at Miller's Kill, New York. She is not just a "lady," she's a tough ex-Army chopper pilot, and nobody's fool. Then a newborn infant left at the church door brings her together with the town's police chief, Russ Van Alstyne, who's also ex-Army and a cynical good shepherd for the stray sheep of his hometown. Their search for the baby's mother quickly leads them into the secrets that shadow Miller's Kill like the ever-present Adirondacks. What they discover is a world of trouble, an attraction to each other-and murder..."--BOOK COVER.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Julia Spencer-Fleming's book In the Bleak Midwinter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible