Blood Fever by Veronica Wolff

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A more engaging sequel, the heroine’s eyes are open to the truth of the vampires’ intentions.

Opening Sentence: His mouth.

The Review:

In Veronica Wolff’s third installment of The Watchers, Blood Fever comes back with a darker theme. While I was beginning to think that I may be too old for the series (I am in my 30s), Wolff brings a more adult vibe throughout the story. There is definitely more danger around the corner on the Isle of Night. And luckily for me, I was able to read about it right away.

Blood Fever begins at the start of a new semester. Fall brings new Acari recruits and trainees. For the rest, Watcher training has intensified, bringing more guts and glory for the determined. Drew has survived another year, and with some surprising allies. One ally is Camden. A bond has solidified their connection, but that connection goes beyond what was formed. Mei-Ling has a secret and a talent. That secret was the cause of her abduction by the vampires. Drew is involved, no matter if she should or not. And when the death counts start rising, will she be able to prove the cause? Or will it bring danger to her, more than it already has?

I loved Drew in Blood Fever. I think she became so much more personable than the last three books. Maybe because of her bond with Camden, or even her friendship with Mei-Ling. Whatever reason, she shows so much emotion on the inside and out. It was entertaining to read and the accompanying dialogue was fun, to say the least. Her relationships get serious, whether it is in a positive or negative light. There’s so much more on the line and I appreciated the way Drew handled every single scenario. Her days of act-first-think-later seem to be in the past, but who knows, Drew will surprise me when she can.

The all-around character progression was believable and realistic. Each character, whether it’s Drew or a supporting character, had a purpose and a reason, each one playing a key part into the storyline. There was so much more to the characters this time around. There was an intensity and ferocity that I loved. Maybe it was because the theme of Blood Fever is darker and the stakes are higher. Whatever the reason, I loved it.

Wolff knows how to slowly transcend each story into its own plateau. The amount of chaos included within Blood Fever was the right amount. The pacing was on par with the events, and not once did I feel the lull of a scene, or lack thereof. Wolff pushes the boundaries, testing her readers with more of this and more of that. There was a point where I didn’t think I could take another thing, but Wolff went there and brought it. And as a reader, I can say that it made the story much more enjoyable to read.

I highly urge you to read Blood Fever, or The Watchers series. So much fun.

Notable Scene:

“If I’m quiet, it’s because I listen. Unlike you.”

Whoa. Get back. I actually laughed. Was that an insult or an observation? It didn’t piss me off, though. On an island of secrets, I liked her candor. “What do you mean, unlike me? I’m just trying to help. I wasn’t sure if you understood what was going on back there.”

“I grew up in New York. I speak English.” Though the words carried a sting, there’d been no animosity in her voice when she’d said them.

I stopped on the path. “Wait, Mei. Do over. I know you understand English. Jeez. I meant, you’re not used to the Guidons.” I rubbed my temples—the headache was back with a vengeance. “God, I can barely think straight.” Inhaling deeply, I faced her. “All I meant was that those girls would love to kill us—and they will if we’re not careful. They could make your life serious hell.”

I’d lost Amanda, and keeping Mei-Ling safe felt like righting that wrong. Besides, I liked odd ducks, and Mei was shaping up to be pretty massively odd.

“Hey,” I added, trying to lighten the mood. “We’ve gotta watch out for your hands, right?”

She held out one of those hands, studying it. Then her eyes met mine, and she smiled. A real, genuine smile. “Right.”

FTC Advisory: NAL Trade/Penguin provided me with a copy of Blood Fever. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Nov 15, 2013 |
What does Acari Drew do when she is secretly bonded to a vampire, has feelings for Ronan that she doesn’t understand, has another master vampire after her and gets a new roommate? Drew isn’t finished with her training on Eyja næturinnar or the Isle of Night. She is training to become a watcher, who will help protect the vampires. The training is intense and a lot of girls have died, including Drew’s old roommate, which made her the only occupant in her room.

Then she gets a new roommate, Mei-Ling. She is different than the other girls on the Isle of Night. First of all, she is young; the youngest one there. Second, she didn’t come willingly. She was forced to come. Drew is trying to figure out why. Why would the vampires risk exposure to bring this girl here? What is so important about Mei-Ling? At first Mei-Ling is standoffish and this just intensifies Drew’s curiosity.

There are other stressors in Drew’s life on the island. People are being killed and drained of their blood. This is being done without permission and that is punishable by death. Master Alcántara thinks that is the works of the vampire that they rescued in Vampire’s Kiss, Carden McCloud. Drew was a part of that rescue and has a feeling that Alcántara didn’t want him rescued. She tries to stay away from McCloud to not draw suspicion to him, but there is the blood bond that will prevent them from being apart.

Who is leaving the bodies on the island? How will Drew figure this out while trying to protect Mei-Ling and McCloud? What will happen between Drew, Alcántara and McCloud?

When I received this book in the mail, I was excited. I had previously read and reviewed Isle of Night and Vampire’s Kiss and loved both of them. Blood Fever was no different. I like how Drew feels that she is responsible for people, Mei-Ling and McCloud. She feels that she needs to protect them. You don’t see much of Ronan in this book and that might be the only drawback. I really liked his character. I liked Mei-Ling and that she appeared so innocent in the book. She has a secret that she is protecting and Drew really wants to find this out because then she might understand what the big interest in her is.

The ending of this book left me wanting more. It was written well, but I didn’t like it.

I cannot wait for the continuation of this story in The Keep ( )
  YABReviews | Dec 25, 2012 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

It’s official, The Watchers is my new favorite YA vampire series. Not since Richelle Mead‘s Vampire Academy series have vampires and human interaction been so dangerous and so addictive. The training at Isle of Night has never been more deadly as it’s not just the teachers and fellow students that Drew has to worry about. Someone or something is slaughtering people all over the island, and Drew’s secret and accidental bond with Carden is becoming harder and harder to ignore. They are both suspected of the murders and if their bond is discovered, they won’t live long enough to prove their innocence.

BLOOD FEVER, the third book in Veronica Wolff’s The Watchers series is the best installment yet. Drew is shedding the last remnants of her weak, victimized former life. She has fully embraced her training to one day become a lethal vampire Watcher–if she lives that long–and now has the skills to draw some unwanted attention from the vampires and other students. As with the previous books, the violence level is high. Expect plenty of bloodshed and vicious attacks on par with THE HUNGER GAMES.

Balancing out the constant threat of death and dismemberment, the romance is also heightened in BLOOD FEVER. A few potential love interests have been circulating in the previous books, but one emerges clearly this time. I flat out loved how this romance developed. No insta-love here, instead there is a lot a caution and doubt and plenty of attraction to make both parties loose their head is several delicious encounters. Plus there’s the added mystical nature of the bond that keeps Drew constantly suspicious of her own desires–though never in an angsty, annoying way. She’s a smart girl who’s getting smarter all the time. She wants to make sure her heart in involved and not just her hormones…and in the case of the vampire, that he hungers for more than just her blood.

Danger, desire, and intriguing mystery fill every single page of BLOOD FEVER. Wolff clearly has an endgame in mind for this series and based on the hints and revelations so far, the next book in The Watchers series titled THE KEEP which will be hitting shelves on April 1, 2013, promises to be killer.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. Attempted sexual assault ( )
  pollywannabook | Jul 27, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible