Blood of Anteros by Georgia Cates

Originally Reviewed At:Mothter/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Blog Tour
Reviewer: Jennifer

Anytime I’m sent a vampire book, I get a little nervous. Most end up with the same plot lines, boy meets girl, they fall in inevitable love, yet the boy is tortured by his own immortality and self-hate. Something happens to make the girl suspicious, she starts digging, finds out he is a vampire, and insanity ensues. When it came to Blood of Anteros, while in most ways I was right, I was pleasantly surprised to find that in many ways, I was wrong.

Curry Brennan is very much the brooding, self-loathing, vampire I expected him to be, however the hate he held for his maker, Marsala, was a bigger surprise. Living as a 26 year-old in the 1800’s, Curry only dreamed of becoming a husband and father, living out his life in peace. His dreams were shattered when Marsala made him a monster, a vampire. Though she did this out of love, he still despised her with every fiber of his immortal being. When his hatred for her reaches a boiling point, Curry decides to escape the only way he can, suicide.

On the night Curry intends to carry out his death, things take an unexpected turn, and instead of meeting death, he finds freedom. Deciding to go to the place of his birth, he meets Chansey Leclaire. After befriending her, he falls in love and realizes the dreams he had as a human may still become a reality. However, when outside forces close in, threatening his newfound happiness, Curry is forced to accept the fact that Chansey is not entirely what she appears to be.

Something else that surprised me – in a good way – was the meeting between Curry and Chansey. Unlike most stories, it was not an earth shattering, stars aligning moment. It was a typical, two people meet, they are attracted to one another, but unsure of the others feelings. It was very warm and realistic, something many recent YA novels tend to lack. Moreover, it is this realism, along with Curry’s strong voice, that drew me in and kept me hanging on until the very last page. I loved every minute of their story and love affair, and am so very glad not all vampire novels are the same. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Jul 17, 2013 |
What a wonderful new twist to the vampire ya romance novel. It was a great story and very interesting characters. Ending was a little abrupt but made you anxious for more. ( )
  tometender | Oct 28, 2012 |
  tometender | Oct 28, 2012 |
Blood of Anteros surprised me because I wasn’t expecting it to be as intense as it is. Refreshingly told from the perspective of a male vampire, this book is an enjoyable read that captures perfectly the love between Curry and Chansey.

The book begins with the mysterious severing of the bonds that bind Curry to his maker – a vicious vampire whom he hates. Curry spends 21 years learning to assimilate with humans, and finally decides to move into his childhood home, renting with the elderly couple who own the house now. When their grand-daughter comes to stay, Curry is afraid that he is a danger to her, young blood being so much more desirable than old blood. However, he finds in Chansey a mystery – while her blood doesn’t attract the vampire within him, something about her makes his long-buried human side emerge. Chansey and Curry are great together, although they have their share of misunderstandings, it’s obvious they genuinely care for one another and I liked that.

While there is little action in the book, and most of it occurs near the end, I did enjoy the plot because it is centred on an interesting mythology. I had hoped that Curry’s scorned maker would make an appearance, but now I think that she is part of a larger story arc, and I had to make do with the sleaze-bag bad guys this book offers. What really drives the book is the romantic aspect between the two protagonists – it is unclear whether they will be able to surmount all the obstacles placed in their way.

It would be impossible for me to review this book without drawing some comparisons with the Twilight saga: similar issues are understandably raised in both works. Although it is clear that any relationship between a mortal and immortal is doomed without Curry turning Chansey, the issue is handled in a similar manner to that in Twilight. This aspect in itself is common in many vampire-oriented novels featuring romance with a mortal, so it did not overly concern me. However, Curry is quite demanding, and although Chansey stands up for her rights most of the time, the imbalance of power in the relationship means that Curry inevitably has the last say. I hope in future books this issue is resolved.

Blood of Anteros is an interesting read featuring an exciting new mythology, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Blood Jewel, for a blog tour next week. I recommend this book to those who enjoyed the Twilight saga but are looking for something aimed at a slightly more mature audience and written a little edgier.

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Aug 22, 2012 |
Let me begin by saying I am a huge Georgia Cates fan. I absolutely fell in love with her contemporary romance, Going Under, and decided to read Blood of Anteros, her paranormal romance, and true to form, Georgia did not disappoint in delivering an outstanding story. Curry Brennan is a vampire, and he is not very happy about it. Taken and turned against his will, he has been held captive by his evil sire Marsla for over 100 years. After years of bondage a supernatural event takes place that frees him from his bonds. He meets a new mentor, who helps him learn a new way of life, a life that enables him not to give in to the monster inside himself. Twenty-one years after this event, he returns to his family home and there meets Chansey Leclaire. Try as he may, he can't stay away from her. Fate and the gods have other plans for both Curry and Chansey, but will the choice between mortality and immortality as what Curry believes is a monster be more than he can bear, or will he finally embrace his Agape and the fate the Gods have ordained?

I loved this story. It is told from Curry's point of view. I love the historical feel mixed with the modern romance. Yes, this is vampire story, but it is also a wonderful romance, with some mythology in the mix. I absolutely adored Curry. I felt so bad for what he had to go through, and also wanted him to experience love and joy, and he's so hot, even though he doesn't realize it. I loved the way he desired to protect Chansey and how he was willing to sacrifice anything and everything because of his love for her. I really liked Chansey also. She is fun, very strong-willed, and very passionate in her beliefs. She knows what she wants and she knows what she was created for, and she embraces that. I especially like Solomn. He brought quite a bit of humor to the story. All the characters were so interesting and enjoyable to get to know. I love the way the story progressed and the plot was great. I enjoyed Georgia's perspective on vampires in general and found it quite refreshing. I especially liked the way the book ended. It is the first in a series, but it ended well, leaving you satisfied, yet still wanting more. This is a great book and if you enjoy vampires stories and paranormal romance, this is book you should check out. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Aug 16, 2012 |

I was tantalized by the mystery of her. The leech inside me came out to find prey, but found none in this enigmatic girl. The close proximity of her essence didn't entice the monster within, so what did that make her? I had more questions than answers, but one thing was unmistakable; although she released me from her embrace, her hold on me remained. Cruel circumstances turned Curry Brennan into the wretched monster he hates and refuses to accept, but when an expected turn of events releases him from the bond of his obsessive maker, he returns to the home he knew 161 years earlier and finds the return of happiness and joy in something he didn't know existed. Puzzled by his growing attraction to Chansey Leclaire, a human, he is unable to resist the captivating relationship that threatens to reveal his existence as a vampire. He eventually discovers the reason he was destined to find what he didn't know he searched for and is faced with the cruel realization that the living and the immortal undead will always be separated by one thing. Eternity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,392,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible