Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt

Double Clutch

by Liz Reinhardt

English (4)  Italian (1)  All (5)
Esto es lo que sería Vampire Diaries sino hubiese vampiros, doppelgangers, brujas, hombres lobos, híbridos... ni extrañas reuniones sociales en cementerios. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
I went back and forth for a while about whether or not I wanted to read Double Clutch. I had heard a lot of good things about it, but love triangles are not a favourite of mine and the entire plot of this book is a love triangle. However... wow! I am so glad I read it. It's an instant favourite and Liz Reinhardt certainly has a new fan. Double Clutch was an awesome, fun and exciting novel that I can't get out of my head. It would have been a massive mistake to pass this one up.

Our protagonist is teenager Brenna Blixen, who has just moved back to the US after spending a year with her parents in Denmark. I liked Brenna almost instantly. Her voice is really different and definitely stands out. She's a very sweet girl who has a lovely relationship with both her mother and her stepfather. She's intelligent and level headed albeit a little lost now that she's back in her old town and a very different person to the one she was when she left. This book is about Brenna growing up and trying to figure out what she wants and who she wants.

Then there's the two boys, who are so very different yet very similar at the same time. Saxon is your typical bad boy. He's got a large ego and always seems to speak his mind. I definitely liked him best. While he can be a bit of a jerk sometimes, I found him to be the most interesting and amusing. There's also more to him than meets the eye. I think he's a big softie inside. Jake is a lot sweeter at first and seems like a regular nice guy. However, Jake has plenty of his own secrets and his own demons to battle. I liked Jake but I didn't find him as fun or entertaining as Saxon.

Double Clutch was just brilliant! There are so many intriguing characters and a lot going on. We get to see how Brenna's relationships with her parents, friends, Saxon and Jake grow and change. Brenna is so direct and tough it's hard not to love her. Her life is certainly hectic and it was thrilling to read about. I would certainly recommend this novel and I'm so excited to read the next two books. Also, this book is definitely 'upper' YA as it has some very mature scenes in it. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 29, 2013 |
When people ask me why I review self-published works as well as works published by major houses instead of just reviewing for major houses only, I want to point them in the direction of fabulous books like this one. If I just reviewed for publishers only, then I would miss out on some really incredible stories.

Double Clutch is not a book that is driven only by its plot. As a matter of fact, the plot takes the backseat to character development. Sometimes in stories, this is a downgrade because the story tends to drag and there always seems to be too much brooding and melodrama. Thankfully, this is not the case AT ALL with this book. The funny thing is that Brenna starts out as a strong character to begin with - she's pretty confident and sure of herself with a nice dose of independence. However, we get much more from her as we proceed through the novel. She grows significantly, maturing and adapting to everything that comes along with being a teen, as well as having a boyfriend and feelings for a guy that seems to be a little more than just a friend.

Normally, this is where I post my doubts about how a love triangle could possibly be good for a story.. but I just can't do that with Double Clutch. This is one of those instances where there are two guys that are attracted to Brenna that are both flawed but inevitably both nice guys who show their adoration in different ways. Relating to the main character and trying to figure out which guy is best for her really keeps you turning the pages in this because it isn't a typical cookie cutter love triangle. This is one of those rare instances where there's no clear "better" choice for Brenna and that really turns the intrigue up. Jake and Saxon are both great guys in their own ways with their own sets of pros and cons. Add to that a history and story between THEM as well (not romantically), and your head is spinning from all of the revelations and swoon-worthy moments between the three of them.

As far as romances go, I give this book an A+ and then some. I would have loved to see a little more to the plot - maybe a little more conflict. Like I said though, the story keeps you so hooked with everything going on with the main characters, there's no way I could give this anything less than 5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed Double Clutch and cannot wait to read more in its sequel, Junk Miles. ( )
  missyreadsreviews | Nov 29, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible