Running into the Darkness (The Deepest…

Running into the Darkness (The Deepest Darkness, #1)

by D A Bale

I was given a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. Teetering on the edge. I feel like I almost liked it, except the parts I couldn't get over. I feel like I'd need to read the next book to decide if I really liked it,(or maybe it would leave me in limbo if there was a third book), but at the end I wasn't saying 'I have to read the next book to find out what happens.'

There is a lot to take in with this story. Historical, political, and even medical conspiracy machinations; those were actually the interesting part. Very cool, I thought, but uncovered rather conveniently by a "rookie" after so many years of investigating and searching by top notch teams with sophisticated equipment that hadn't come up with the answers. Some characters and some of the scenarios were rigged like in a comic book superhero type movie. A lot of action - if unbelievable in many ways. The whole underground world was fascinating.

WARNING- There is an element in the book I had a hard time dealing with, and that is incest. Even though it made no sense, I kept reading diligently thinking it must be a "mistake" or explained by the end of the book, but it wasn't. I can't give much more information without spoilers. There are many graphic scenes detailing the incestuous acts which I couldn't force myself to read. The reader knows the character is committing incest. The character knows they are committing incest, and goes as far as saying they like it. I found it to be too gross, disturbing.

You will probably have ideas about particular characters, and certain things will be wrapped up by the end of the book. However, I was disappointed with no answers about Marcus. Why did he join the elite? He had me conflicted all through the book. The scenes with him and Samantha were weird. I don't know how else to describe them.

I guess this book just went in a totally different direction than I'd expected from reading the first chapter with Samantha in medical residency, fighting for the life of the prostitute against her superior's orders. Although I wanted to find out the truth about Samantha's life, I am not sure I'd read the next book. ( )
  TinaMarieSays | Jul 31, 2014 |

D A Bale is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,741,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible