Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the…

Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can…

by Lois Tverberg

I was really looking forward to reading this book. It’s the sequel of sorts to a previous book by the same author, "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus", which I loved. The point of both books is to enlighten the reader with things from a historically Jewish perspective, giving new meaning to the text that we “Western-minded” might not have seen or understood before by putting things in the historical context of what it would mean for the Jews during the days of Christ. Frankly, the first book blew me away. I loved it. So I was expecting great things from its successor.

This book, "Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus", focused more on linguistics than the first book. It discussed the roots of certain words and the history they had in the context of Jewish laws and traditions. It explained from a Jewish perspective that when Christ spoke certain things, there was much more to the meaning than what we would see just from the English translation we read today. I found the book interesting and enlightening, but it didn’t blow me a way as much as the first book. I’m not sure if it’s because of the digging into the words and their meanings is more academic, or just that the first book enlightened me to such a new world that it left such a profound impression on me.

I would rate this book 3.5 out of 5 stars, and I definitely would recommend it to others. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change You by Lois Tverberg was a thought-provoking read. Author Tverberg has spent years studying the Jewish culture of the first century into which Jesus was born, lived, and died. She learned Hebrew and Greek and poured over the words of Jesus in the four gospels. She read the rabbinical works of first century rabbis as well as explanations and traditions from later rabbis. She explains obscure sayings of Jesus such as "single eye" and "if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off" as normal rabbinical expressions. Ms. Tverberg also ties in the corresponding Old Testament passages that illuminate Jesus' sayings and words. Jesus would often cite one passage, assuming the hearer would also remember the adjacent passage as well.

The insights from Jesus' Jewish background greatly enhances anyone's understanding of Christianity. For Christians, the new perspective is inspirational and provides as much additional insight as stereoscopic vision provides over monocular vision. ( )
  jjvors | Jul 17, 2013 |

In Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus, Lois Tverberg challenges readers to follow their Rabbi more closely by re-examining his words in the light of their Jewish context. Doing so will provide a richer, deeper understanding of his ministry, compelling us to live differently, to become more Christ-like. We'll begin to understand why his first Jewish disciples abandoned everything to follow him, to live out his commands.

What wisdom can we glean from Jesus' Eastern, biblical attitude toward life? How can knowing him within this context shed light on his teachings for us today? In Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus we'll journey back in time to consider how hearing Rabbi Jesus with the ears of a first-century disciple can bring new meaning to our faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

In Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus, Lois TVerberg challenges readers to follow their Rabbi more closely by re-examining his words in the light of their Jewish context. Doing so will provide a richer, deeper understanding of his ministry, compelling us to live differently, to become more Christ-like. We'll begin to understand why his first Jewish disciples abandoned everything to follow him, to live out his commands. Our modern society, with its individualism and materialism, is very different than the tight-knit, family-oriented setting Jesus lived and taught in. What wisdom can we glean from his Eastern, biblical attitude toward life? How can knowing Jesus within this context shed light on his teachings for us today? In Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus we'll journey back in time to eavesdrop on the conversations that arose among the rabbis of Jesus' day, and consider how hearing Rabbi Jesus with the ears of a first-century disciple can bring new meaning to our faith. And we'll listen to Jewish thinkers through the ages, discovering how ideas that germinated in Jesus' time have borne fruit over time. Doing so will yield fresh, practical insights for following our Rabbi's teachings from a Jewish point of view.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,376,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible