Curbchek by Zach Fortier

Curbchek is one of those books I couldn't put down. The raw honesty I could feel in each and every single one of the stories made me want to keep reading. There were moments where I laughed out loud, because some of the scenes were quite funny, moments when I cringed because of the imagery of some scenes, moments when I was sad or even angry.

At times, the violence was a little overwhelming, but I think that's what makes the book seem so fresh and enjoyable. You read so many books with cops, see so many movies and TV shows, but they somehow seem staged, sugarcoated, censured. Curbchek is so different and it's a book that I believe sticks with you because it's so different.

What I loved most about this book was the fact that it felt real. I didn't think for even a moment "yeah, right, that can't happen" like I usually do with other books with police officers. I think the author gives a unique perspective on police work, sort of a "behind the scenes" look.

Another thing that made me enjoy the books was the "colorful" language. You know how crime dramas usually portray cops as talking so clean? That's something that makes me want to scream, because it doesn't feel right or true. Curbchek is entirely different and I liked that.

I think it's not a book for the faint of heart, but I think it's one of those "Must Read" books. Curbchek is followed by Streetcreds and I will definitely check it out. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
Zach Fortier, a 30+ year police officer, has seen it all. In CURBCHEK-RELOAD, he offers three dozen brief vignettes of some of his experiences. Many of them could easily be expanded into episodes of police television shows or into movies.
The cases range from gangs, drugs, mental illness, child abuse, and more. Most are not pretty and he is disillusioned with the tactics and supervision of some of his fellow officers and superiors. He has a rather low opinion of most police officers and supervisors and presents evidence to support his views. He knows what he expects of himself and of others. He also relates a few instances when he is thanked by a member of the community, something that is rare and unexpected. Some chapters offer humor, such as when a regular caller phoned 911 to say there was two inches of water on her floor. The dispatcher thinks she is using a code so her boyfriend, who has abused her in the past, won’t know she called the police.
Dealing with terrible situations on a daily basis and knowing they can be targets at any time, the police are a tough bunch. Fortier describes some of the pranks the cops pull on each other as well as the type of language and physical treatment they direct at some people they are called upon to handle to diffuse some of the tension.
The writing is straight forward and concise without excessive padding to set the scene. I hate to think that cops use profanity when talking with the general public but, in most cases, the people with whom he is dealing uses it themselves.
This book was a free Amazon download ( )
  Judiex | Mar 1, 2014 |
Whew! Amazing read. This is one of those books that took me a long time to get through. Mainly because I would read a chapter and then read it out loud to my husband who enjoyed the book as much as I did.

Each chapter is a specific incident that happened to Mr. Fortier while serving as a police officer. If you're looking for a book to read that will keep you mesmerized, and yet not bog you down because you just don't have time to get through the whole thing at once, this is the perfect book for you. Each chapter has a conclusion to that specific story Mr. Fortier is telling.

If you are a fan of the TV show Southland, this is a must read. I now know the true meaning behind the word gritty.

I would like to personally thank Mr. Fortier for his service as a police officer. I've always had a huge respect for policemen and policewomen, but after reading this, I just can't imagine how their lives are affected by protecting all of us. ( )
  SandyWolters | Mar 14, 2013 |
Book Title: Curb Chek
Author: Zach Fortier
Publisher: Self Published
ISBN: 9781466231979
Reviewed by Michele Tater for The Couch Tater Review

“The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.” ~Robert Peel

Life as cop--that is what the author wanted to write about, and I think he was successful. A cop’s job is not glamorous, and the crimes are not easily solved. Police sometimes have to stoop as low as the criminals they are trying to find to bring them to justice. Each chapter of this book is an on job situation that any cop could face and shows how that cop would react to that event. In some instances the good guys may have to take the law in their own hands and do things that are not “by the book.” They treat the criminal as the scum they appear to be to the officer. Sometimes this life shapes a person into something he never thought he would ever become--it’s the risk of the job. When you live and work with the dirt and filth of the world, some of that soil stays on someone, no matter how often they try to get clean.

This book is a gritty and to the point, look into this career few know about and even few want to know about. The author doesn’t mince words when given a detailed description of what he experienced. Everything is exposed and left to the reader to came to grips with. Reading it is like a car or train wreck, our morbid curiosity keeps us looking and wondering what happen. Not everyone will appreciate what this author has written, but I am glad he had the stuff to do just that. ( )
  bluesky1775 | Mar 5, 2013 |
Review:

This book is not for the fainthearted. Curb CheK is the totally engrossing account of the gritty police calls handled by officer Zach Fortier - rapes, murders, kidnappings, and thefts, among other heinous crimes. The stories are real, ranging from nauseatingly gruesome to laugh-out-loud absurd. Zach Fortier's feelings towards each case are evident, his well-written narrative a required shock-to-the-system. The world that we live in is not the happy and innocent landscape we imagine as children, but a place filled with hidden dangers - a mix of good and bad - and the author is not afraid to tell it like it is. I have gotten over my preconceived notions of a "perfect world", my interests in biology, psychology, and forensics opening my eyes to a darker side of the human condition, so I am not surprised by the cases described, but I know that it will definitely affect readers. The subject matter is quite graphic and profanity is common in the narrative and dialogue, however, it is expected given the book's topic, and the area in which it takes place. I will definitely be reading his latest book Curb CheK Reloaded, I just hope that it has fewer grammatical errors because they can be distracting. Curb Chek is one of those rare books that can change how people see those who protect and serve our communities. It is a must read for those in the law enforcement field, or those who want to delve deeper into a nonfiction crime novel. Highly recommended!

Rating: Clean Getaway (5/5)

*** I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Nov 2, 2012 |

Zach Fortier is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible