Sapphire Hunting (A Young Adult Fantasy…

Sapphire Hunting (A Young Adult Fantasy Adventure)

by J SenGupta

222,551,640 (3)None
Recently added byHomeLoveBooks, Angelscryhavoc

No tags.

Sapphire Hunting is a YA book, and let it be known I have nothing against YA books, in fact I like quite a few of them. But I also feel like sometimes they fall a little bit into a trap, where the author feels they have to tone down the book for the younger audience. And while I understand the motivation behind it I often find it to be annoying. I think Sapphire Hunting fell into this category.

That being said there were good things about the book. The plot was interesting, and I did find myself at some points throughout the book wondering what was going to happen next, and even sometimes wanting to read a little bit faster so I could know faster. About midway through the book the author really finds their stride and the ideas and elements of the book are put forth very well. I could easily see how this plot would work for YA.

However, I found in a lot of the story I got confused. The beginning and parts of the end really slowed down in pace, and often times felt someone disjointed. What I mean by that is there would be random paragraphs that I didn't feel fit in with the preceding or following paragraphs. When this happened it would really mess with the flow of the book, and I would end up going back several times to see if I had missed something or skipped a page, and when I found I hadn't I was just plain confused. It happened more than once in the book and by the end of the book I was kind of tired of being confused.

One thing I think the author was trying to do with some of the phrasing was to use really vivid imagery, which is always a good thing in a book. I love when I read a sentence and it's powerful enough to make me come up with a picture in my head. However, I almost think the author was trying to hard here, by using several really vivid descriptive words when only one or two was needed; the result was awkward phrasing.

Overall, I would say this book is okay. As someone who primarily reads books geared towards adults, I don't think I would recommend it for adult readers. YA readers might enjoy this book though, largely because YA readers are more willing to focus primarily on the plot and Sapphire Hunting has a plot I think would appeal to YA readers. ( )
  HomeLoveBooks | Jan 18, 2012 |

Recommended Age:

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 3 Ravens

In the beginning the book was a little slow to start with to many quick jumps changing the scene that it got me a little bit turned around and I had to back read a few times to make sure I was following along at the pace that I felt I should be. I began to realize that it was reading in a rather disjointed way. Which I believe is how it is meant to be read. However it became increasingly harder to read with what I felt in some areas was complete skips of detail. Rushed is the feeling I was getting as if the author felt like the need to get to the core of the story was all that mattered. There in making some of the first posts and pages to me seem as if they were not as important as they should have been.

I got past all that and began to read the story finally falling into the world that was compelling. The idea was rich and colorful and belonged within the flow of the story. As if the Author found themselves finally and fell into that creative flow the world began to come alive and there in was what really mattered. The relationships were very descriptive and fit good with each other. I enjoyed how things seemed selfless and feel that the book is good for the younger adult scene.

Through all it's bumpy ride and beginning I believe that the book deserves at least a chance and say that to read it you may or may not like it but I believe giving it that chance is exactly what it needs. ( )
  Angelscryhavoc | Nov 20, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,230,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible