Golden by Jessi Kirby

Golden

by Jessi Kirby

Parker Frost, notorious for being a staunch rule-follower, decides to rebel (just a little) by stealing and reading the journal of a local girl who had disappeared ten years previously and is now presumed to be dead by the town. When Parker discovers that the girl may not be dead after all, she sets out on an unchaperoned road trip with her best friend and longtime crush to solve the town mystery. "Golden" was fairly well-written (I enjoyed the Robert Frost poem excerpts at the beginning of each chapter), but overall felt pretty predictable. This is a good summertime read--fluffy, with just enough mysterious intrigue to keep your attention. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 23, 2014 |
How to review this book...
The writing was okay. Average. Adequate. The synopsis sounded pretty good, but the ending was predictable and frustrating. The characters drove me crazy. The main character was well-developed but I disagreed with just about every decision she made and it drove me batty. The best friend was well-intentioned but annoying. The boy was not well drawn out and I kind of hate him for being like a stray puppy who just keeps coming back no matter how many times she pushed him away. My final complaint is that so much of this book is absolutely not probable. I prefer my realistic fiction to be a little more realistic. ( )
  4sarad | Jan 20, 2014 |
How silly is this? I stayed up until eleven o’clock last night reading this book. I knew what was going to happen and it did happen just as I had thought, and I was surprised only because it was so terribly unlikely that what happened did happen.

Not a profound book with wise ideas. Not a book with brilliantly drawn characters. And I’ve already told you that the plot is completely expected.

But I did stay up until eleven o’clock last night reading it and that is something, isn’t it? ( )
  debnance | Jan 4, 2014 |
Golden follows Parker, the picture perfect high school girl, Valedictorian, on her way to a scholarship for college. But when she read a journal of a former student, Parker takes a different path, and that is where her journey begins.

The characters are so well developed. Parker is a intelligent girl, a teacher assistant, and just an all around good girl, who want to do something unexpected and maybe a little out of character before she graduates. Parker has one overbearing mother, I mean I understand wanting our children to succeed and do their bests, but wow she was certainly a pushy one and has a tremendous influence on Parker and her decision. Her best friend Kat was best friends are supposed to be, roots for you and stands by you no matter what and tells you like it is when it is needed. That’s Kat.. There of course is a little romance along the way, Trevor. They guy she’s grown up with, and has just always been around, he’s sweet and does seem to care for Parker.

The whole idea behind the high school students writing a journal and ten years later reading what was written, is a a fantastic idea. How could Parker not be drawn to Juliette’s life and death? Juliette was the golden girl, her and Shane were the golden couple and their sudden deaths rocked this small town. The mystery of what happened that night is something that Parker wanted learn about, and got a journey of a life time instead. There are two stories going on, Parker’s journey surrounding Juliette’s journal and the truth behind it, and Parker’s growth, independence and self discovery along the way, and they intertwine very well.

Golden is a beautiful story of learning what is important, love and living life and learning along the way. It is a story not be missed. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
Absolutely brilliant. ( )
  countingscripts | Sep 23, 2013 |

"Seventeen-year-old Parker Frost has never taken the road less traveled. Valedictorian and quintessential good girl, she's about to graduate high school without ever having kissed her crush or broken the rules. So when fate drops a clue in her lap--one that might be the key to unraveling a town mystery--she decides to take a chance"--… (more)

Jessi Kirby is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,387,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible