The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors

The Sweetest Spell

by Suzanne Selfors

This book was awesome. I hated to finish it. Emmeline made a wonderful heroine in a book full of wonderful characters and things. I love fantasy books, especially when they're fairytale-esque. (Plus, this had both chocolate AND romance. Oh yeah!) The only thing I didn't like about this book was how the point of view would switch without warning. I would have to stop my flow of reading to make sure I knew which character was speaking, since the whole book is in 1st person. But the story was so good that it couldn't lessen my enjoyment of reading it. ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Not sure how this book will be, but I saw chocolate so it made me crave chocolate...which in turn makes me want to read this book.
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Light and fluffy fantasy romance. Recommended for those who enjoy re-told fairytales (although I don't believe this is one). ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The Sweetest Spell tells the story of an unwanted girl living in a banished community and what happens when she is left with nothing and her town is flooded. The story was very sweet and cute, a simple and touching fairytale. The characters were fun and believable. While it did not keep me on the edge of my seat, it was hard to put down at times, and the romance was adorable. If you like fairytales and fun stories, I would recommend this to you. ( )
  SamanthaKR | Jun 29, 2013 |
I wish all faery tales were like this. I thought it was one part Rumpelstiltskin, one part Cinderella, one part The Kitchen Knight and one part The Princess Bride. Emmeline Thistle and Owen Oak are two of the most likeable, interesting characters to come from the imagination in a long time. The third main character, Griffin Boar, reminded me of the obnoxious jocks in high school, the ones who thought they were God's greatest gift to everyone. Perhap that's what the author had in mind, but he was a little too predictable for me and I figured out the deal with Prince Beau as soon as he appeared in the story - I wish that could have been more of a mystery.

I did like the banter between Oak and Boar in the dungeon, though; it was one-upmanship and bluster, and honest.

Ms. Selfors weaves a tale that shows us the great and continuing divide between those who are privileged and wont for nothing and the rest of us, especially the very poor. The king and queen are despicable and hold dark secrets - one that threw me - and the people put up with their missrule to a point.

The central figure is Emmeline Thistle, one of the Kell - a red-haired tribe of people who become 'dirt scratchers.' farmers, who are shunned and dispised because of something that happened in the past. I won't share that, for you get several versions of the historic account until the truth is revealed and it was a delight to figure it out. Emmeline has a rare gift because of that past. Emmeline is used to be being shunned and treated with hatred for her disability. People cannot see her true beauty because they see the deformity that is an accident of birth, and that's all they want to see, even though under the dirt and deprivation she is a physically and intellectually beautiful girl, a true heroine and fighter.

Cows and chocolate figure prominently in the story. The cows are faery godparents of a sort and Emmeline has the gift to make chocolate. As one of a million and more people who love chocolate, that was draw for me! I won't say how she makes it - I was expecting a King Midas-sort of situation and was pleasantly surprised to discover something else. Boy, was it different!

Like Ms. Selfors' wonderful story, "Saving Juliet," "The Sweetest Spell" had me laughing out loud and staying up way past my bedtime to read, this time around, the continuing adventure of Emmeline. It is a darker, more serious story in places than "Saving Juliet;" it brings to the fore the very real problems of class division and discrimination still with us.

Excellent dialogue, description, sense of place and characters. I hope there's going to be a sequel for not only do I want chocolate, LOTS of chocolate, after reading "The Sweetest Spell," I want more adventures of Emmeline Thistle and Owen Oak. Pick up this book and read it! ( )
  ELEkstrom | Jun 6, 2013 |
For Bob

Scorned in her Flatlands village because of a deformed foot, Emmeline Thistle's life changes when she is taken in by Wanderlands dairy farmers and discovers her magical ability to make chocolate, which is more precious and rare than gold or jewels in the kingdom of Anglund.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,943,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible