The Grays by Whitley Strieber

The Grays

by Whitley Strieber

The book was an OK read, but I was left wanting more. Hopefully 2012 will resolve things. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
This book took me forever to read because I expected it to suck. To my surprise it really didn't. I was under the impression that this book was written to "prove" that Grays are here -- that it was "nonfiction". It is anything but -- it's a great work of fiction and really enjoyable! Course, I have been really enjoying SciFi stories of late.

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jun 8, 2014 |
Well, what started out promising didn't really cash in. I have seriously mixed feelings about this review. On one hand, I feel like it was probably better than 2 stars, but it's simply too hokey to be a solid 3. We'll call it a 2.5.

The writing is good. I enjoy Strieber's style in this book enough that I'll probably try more of his work later. The reader is very good too, Stephen Lang. I've listened to him before and I've always been pleased with him.

As I said, Strieber does carry a story along pretty well. But despite that, some of his ideas are out there. I can deal with alien abduction theories, and I can even deal with the fact that the man believes that he's experienced it himself. Whatever. This is a story and I can suspend disbelief.

If the author does his job. Some of the crap was just too cheesy and unbelievable. Some of it straight out didn't make any sense. And it got to the point that I didn't care about most of the characters.

They started out interesting, but wore thin by the end. The main couple were very intriguing in the prologue but by the end of the book I wanted something to abduct them and never bring them back.

Like I said, the idea was interesting and I think Strieber has a talent for writing. This just fell short of what could have been. ( )
  Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
Fabulous storyline makes up for the bland-ish writing style. Characters a bit flat, too... but all in all a very entertaining and fascinating read. ( )
  wispywillow | Oct 4, 2009 |
The content of this book was quite interesting, but the book still seemed to act like a double dose of Tylenol PM. I think this is largely due to the fact that this novel is very poorly written. The structure of the book is just awful. ( )
  BlondeBibliophile | Jun 17, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765352591, Mass Market Paperback)

We are not alone. Millions of people are confronting aliens that authorities say do not exist. Whitley Strieber--author of the legendary, #1 bestselling book Communion, which details his own close encounters--now returns to the riddle of aliens with The Grays.

A triumvirate of Grays, known as the Three Thieves, has occupied a small Kentucky town for decades--abducting its residents and manipulating fates and bloodlines in hopes of creating an ultra-intelligent human being. Nine-year-old Conner Callahan will face the ultimate terror as he struggles to understand who he has been bred to be and what he must do to save humanity.
Though the Grays have slowly begun to make themselves known, Colonel Michael Wilkes, the head of a select group of government and military officials that have been monitoring the aliens, will do anything in his power to keep them a secret. Wilkes will set in motion a sinister plan to ensure the survival of humanity,
but at what cost?

The fate of the human race lies with one woman, Lauren Glass. Her uncanny ability to communicate with the aliens and her relationship with the last remaining captive gray may be the only way to save humankind.

The Grays is a mind-bending journey behind the curtain of secrecy that surrounds the subject of aliens, written by the field's great master. If you've never so much as thought about the subject before, this book will make you think deeply, not only about the mystery of who the Grays are, but who exactly we are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:22 -0400)

The Grays, aliens occupying a small town in Kentucky, have spent decades abducting residents and manipulating their bloodlines, all in the name of creating a super intelligent human being. While government official Michael Wilkes is determined to keep the aliens a secret, Lauren Glass, a woman who has the ability to communicate with the aliens, holds the fate of the human race within her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,641,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible