The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Prisoner of Heaven (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Member:Possebon
Title:The Prisoner of Heaven
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Info:W&N (2012), Edition: Hardback, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2011)

English (81)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (105)
This book is not typical Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I don't know if it's the translation or what, but there was none of the usually beautiful and mesmerizing Zafon magic. It was just a straightforward tell-all involving existing characters. This book tries to explain some of the mysteries from other books, while also seemingly mentioning some old characters just for the heck of it. The plot (if it can be called that) was trite and altogether way too convenient. I was left more confused about "The Angel's Game" after reading this and now I'm not sure what to believe. I wish I could go back and unread this book. ( )
  CosimaS | Jul 3, 2016 |
Excellent as always. Zafon creates (or rather, re-creates) a vivid world of a bygone age, and makes it seem real and three-dimensional. Moreover, this third installment of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series follows closely upon the second, The Angel's Game.

If I have one complaint, though, the Cemetery plays only the most minor of roles. One hopes that this merely sets up a larger role in the subsequent, fourth story.

Although the author suggests that the stories can be read in any order, I disagree, and favor a more chronological sequence (Angel's Game, Shadow of the Wind, Prisoner of Heaven). Otherwise keeping the characters straight becomes a real challenge.

By the way, I was prompted to seek out the short story, Rose of Fire--which explains the creation of the Cemetery. It was originally available as a free download. I could find the Spanish version, but no longer the English, and in the trying did succeed in downloading a massive amount of computer viruses. That'll teach me. I can only hope that the publisher pulled the story because it plans to release it as a print publication, which I would prefer anyway. ( )
  dono421846 | Jun 28, 2016 |
A really good read, the most undemanding installment of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Prisoner of Heaven is Carlos Ruiz Zafron's third book and is a sequel to his other two books, Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game.

It is set once again in Barcelona, Christmas time in 1957. Daniel Sempere is married to his wife, Bea. They have a beautiful new baby son named Julian, and their close friend Fermin Romero de Torres is about to be wed. A mysterious stranger visits the Sempere bookshop. His appearance takes Fermin and Daniel into an adventure that takes them back to the 1940s and the early days of Franco's dictatorship. In this book we learn the background of Fermín Romero de Torres. Not only are secrets revealed about Fermin but Daniel also discovers secrets about his connection with David Martin which were touched upon in The Angel's Game.

Although, all three books can be read in any order, my suggestion would be to read The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game first. There are many references to these two books throughout The Prisoner of Heaven.

Carlos Ruiz Zafron is one of the word's most read and best-loved writers and I was anxiously awaiting this novel for another dose of his beautiful prose. He did not disappoint, as this novel was an excellent bridge beween the first two and answers some questions but not all. Zafron does leave you at the end with an added anticipation for the last and final novel of the series.   ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
The Prisoner of Heaven – Zafon
Audio performance by Peter Kenny
3 stars

My favorite character from Zafon’s Shadow of the Wind ? was Fermin Romero de Torres. I felt his absence in the tedious sequel, Angel’s Game. Fermin’s back story is the main focus of this third book. Daniel Sempere is concerned. Fermin appears to be unwell. Is he anxious over his upcoming wedding? Then a mysterious and sinister figure from Fermin’s past arrives at the bookstore, and secrets of Fermin’s wartime escapades are revealed.

I still like Fermin, and I was happy that this book gives his life a positive outlook. This book moves along at a faster clip than either of the two previous books. Angel’s Game left me feeling stranded in an endless maze of tragedy. At the end of this book, I felt that I’d found my way out into the sunshine. It was a great relief.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
While the reader should not expect many shocking plot twists, the story is gripping and the pace is just right. Further, the magic of the novel is in the wonderfully constructed creepy and otherworldly setting, the likable characters, and the near-perfect dialogue.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Aug 1, 2012)

Like his countryman Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Zafón combines sincere engagement with genre tradition, with clever touches of the literary postmodern. (The novel's epigraph is by a fictional writer who featured in The Shadow of the Wind.) This is explicitly, and joyously, a book about books, about what can be learned from them (say, how to follow someone in the street), and what is lost when they are lost. Much of the novel's appeal is that of time-travelling tourism, strongly flavoured with literary nostalgia – for a time when a bookshop could be a city's cultural nerve-centre, when a paper-based bureaucracy could be outwitted, when bohemian scribblers could afford to eat world-class crème caramels, and even when money could be "cursed". But beneath the sugared surface there is also political anger.

A rousing adventure that reads as if Jorge Borges were writing in the mode of Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.
added by thebookpile | editElle Magazine (US)

wondrous... ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero.
added by thebookpile | editEntertainment Weekly

Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges...Ruiz Zafón gives us a panoply of alluring and savage personages and stories. His novel eddies in currents of passion, revenge and mysteries whose layers peel away onion-like yet persist in growing back... we are taken on a wild ride that executes its hairpin bends with breathtaking lurches.
added by thebookpile | editNew York Times

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arpaia, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiittula, AnteroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Quell'anno, prima di Natale, ci toccarono soltanto giorni plumbei e ammantati di brina.

In 1957 Barcelona, Daniel Semper and his close friend Fermin Romero de Torres find their lives violently disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger who threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921922877, 192207988X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible